How to respond to rude Wellcome cashier?

Hi all,

Most of the staff at my local Wellcome are excellent. But, on the weekends, there is a young woman who mocks me for my purchases - too Western, I guess. What would be a reasonable response? I don’t know many characters at the moment - getting better every week due to Heisig, though - so answers in pinyin are much appreciated, as well as cultural explanations.

Cheers, R

Just smile mock laugh in a Peter Griffith manner really loudly then cast her a disgusting/condescending stare.

Maybe she likes you. Flirting is often indistinguishable from insult with young people here.

i agree with mucha man. I think she likes you :slight_smile:

Given no other info, I come to the same conclusion. Sounds like she’s interested in you!

Either way, smiling and being nice is often a good reply in such situations, I think.

But I guess it also depends on how she “mocks” your purchases.
You buy cheese and she giggles “Hey Mr., this milk is already rotten”?
You buy Wiener Würstchen and she says “Taiwan Gauliang sausages might be shorter and not as tasty, but they are thicker than your Wieners”?
Or maybe “Why do you buy that Heineken piss when we even sell Taiwan Draft beer”?

Either way, smiling and being nice is often a good reply in such situations, I think.

But I guess it also depends on how she “mocks” your purchases.
You buy cheese and she giggles “Hey Mr., this milk is already rotten”?
You buy Wiener Würstchen and she says “Taiwan Gauliang sausages might be shorter and not as tasty, but they are thicker than your Wieners”?
Or maybe “Why do you buy that Heineken piss when we even sell Taiwan Draft beer”?[/quote]

:slight_smile: Is your foreign yoghurt really creamier? Do you think Taiwan mangoes are the best? Much firmer and juicier than those found elsewhere, even in Thailand. Hey, I think you should buy new underwear next time. I can see yours is getting old.

But yeah, the OP has to figure out her intentions. But really, why on earth would a cashier give a fuck enough to mock a customer unless she liked him? Most try to avoid any human interaction with customers?

And the people who mock me the most are my Taiwanese friends. I need therapy after a weekend with them.

Have you seen Tom Jones, the 1960s film with Albert Finney, based on the Henry Fielding novel? Use some of the food-related dialog from it to explain what you plan to do with what you’re taking home from the supermarket: “Succulent, tender breasts… stripped of their covering…” etc. It’s a masterpiece of innuendo.

+1 to all of the above. Taking the piss out of someone is (as far as I can tell) a standard flirting methodology. Often accompanied by hitting and mewling. Oh, no, wait, that comes later. Sadly, after that comes the bit where you have to hide the steak knives and delete all female names from your phonebook.

Excellent :slight_smile: Now I understand those grumpy days when you are really feeling low Finley :ponder: Happy Days in Taiwan…at least you have your watch :popcorn:

Wear a big shit eating grin, and ask when she is done with her shift.
Nudge, nudge…

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Wear a big shit eating grin, and ask when she is done with her shift.
Nudge, nudge…[/quote]

The West Coast cashiers are either a class above the East Coast cashiers, or you dudes just set the bar real low.

[quote=“thefool”]Hi all,

Most of the staff at my local Wellcome are excellent. But, on the weekends, there is a young woman who mocks me for my purchases - too Western, I guess. What would be a reasonable response? I don’t know many characters at the moment - getting better every week due to Heisig, though - so answers in pinyin are much appreciated, as well as cultural explanations.

Cheers, R[/quote]

Maybe this will sound mean, but if it isn’t flirting I would probably report it to the manager.

[quote=“Nuit”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]Wear a big shit eating grin, and ask when she is done with her shift.
Nudge, nudge…[/quote]

The West Coast cashiers are either a class above the East Coast cashiers, or you dudes just set the bar real low.[/quote]

Did you just mention the bar?
Mine is rather high, in case you did not notice.
But so what?
I do not discriminate upon geography, merely that of well placement, and succinct phrasing.

[quote=“Indiana”][quote=“thefool”]Hi all,

Cheers, R[/quote]

Maybe this will sound mean, but if it isn’t flirting I would probably report it to the manager.[/quote]

I wish I had the hot little chickies flirting with me. I get the pug-ugly, sullen, visibly stupid male cashiers refusing to acknowledge that they have a 2-for-1 sale going on. Like at the Family Mart right now (ending today), 2-for-1 on Snickers bars. I’ve had three of these wanna-be-goons refusing to use the little slip to cut half the cost off, until I walk over to the candy bar aisle, take the sign off the shelf, and bring it back to them. It’s obvious they know about it, because they have no problem finding the slip immediately thereafter, but they either want to overcharge me or have a way of ringing it up later to get the money back for themselves, or both.

Yes, she likes the moon to shine on white bones. But if you don’t want a constant pain in her ass, then just look at her like the moon shines on a white bone.

Damned foreigners. You throw shoe at them and make face. Pull out tongue and be nasty.
Still all foreigner think is you like him and all foreigner want is sleep with you. Oh my gad.

Best Regers,

Lucy Chen

Damned, I am developing a multiple personalty disorder