How to sign up for a driving test!?

Just an update on this for anyone else trying ~ once you have been to the DMV and given all the paperwork etc. and they’ve booked the test for you, you can book any subsequent retest using the online system.

Since around 2017 the test has changed considerably, it is no longer particularly “easy”, without some kind of coaching and practice you are highly unlikely to pass. Not insulting your driving skills here as the test, predictably, is not really about driving skills it’s now about remembering things.

There are 3 parts to the test ~ written, driving skills (the bit in the “carpark”) and the on road test. If you pass one part you’re set at that level and don’t have do it again if you try again within a year, so if you pass the computer and skills bit but fail the on road you only have to do the on road part next time.

I tried twice in the Keelung DMV, neither was a pleasant experience. The staff seem hellbent on deducting points and failing candidates, not one single person passed the “skills” test on my 2 visits there, some failed before getting into the car! The second visit they had the 3 foreigners there go first, when all 3 of us failed they then explained the rules fully to the Taiwanese attendees and reinforced all the things the “foreigners” failed for and to not do those…Note they were fully aware both myself and one of the other candidates had no problems with communication, an “interpreter” was assigned to the third candidate however the “interpreter” didn’t speak much English and was from a different department so didn’t understand the test criteria anyway.

I went to the DMV in Shulin (note Shulin 樹林 and not Shilin 士林) yesterday and it was an entirely different experience. Staff were very friendly and encouraging to everyone, they still went by the rules but explained them clearly to everyone before each test and applied them fairly.

If you are thinking of taking the test I strongly recommend trying to get some practice lessons somewhere first, the driving parts are not particularly difficult (even the infamous “S” bend) however a lot of nonsense has been added to the test (looking under all four sides of your car before getting in etc.) so you do need to learn off the BS if you are to take the test on your own. I found these 2 videos very helpful, although the don’t cover everything in the tests, Skills Test , Road Test .

Another oddity on the road test is that the examiner cannot “coach” you on the road test part, not so odd you think! Well, coaching apparently includes telling you the route to take so don’t expect “take the next left” etc., you’re supposed to know the test route! There are maps posted on the walls of the test waiting area so advise going there before your test and practicing the route before attempting the road test. You can, and should, take a walk around the “car park” before your test to familiarize yourself with the layout. There doesn’t appear to be a standard, Keelung and Shulin are very different, Shulin is far larger and well kept, uses different lanes for auto and manual tests (parking spaces and S bend are larger for the manual test), Keelung uses different marking in the same parking bays for auto and manual and the auto “S” bend test is just painted on the ground rather than using kerbs so much more difficult.

If you are not in a hurry and/or have potential communication issues, the best bet is to sign up for the 6 week course with a driving school (expect ~13,000 for auto and ~14,000 for manual), an awful lot of the BS goes away and, unless you monumentally FU, you’re pretty much guaranteed to pass.

3 Likes