How to stay here?

I’ve been here just over 2 years. I’m here on a multiple entry visitor visa that expires in December. I don’t work here as I am an animator that does freelance work usually based out of Vancouver. I am here mostly because of my girlfriend and don’t mind leaving every two months because I go back to Vancouver often to meet with clients and see friends and family. I am thinking ahead here a few months because I want to stay here for a while past December. So my question is what are the chances of attempting to get another 3 year multiple entry visitor? Has anyone ever done this? Or does anyone have a better idea of how to stay here? I suppose I don’t mind studying Chinese, but there must be a limit to how long one can study right? And I really don’t want to do Visa runs every two months to a Visa office.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Marry her.

you plan to live here, it’s time to learn the language.
join a chinese learning center, get a student visa and learn chinese (up to 2 years)
it’s minimum 15h course per week to have student visa.
first 4 months with student visitor visa, then student arc and renew it every 3 months.

marrying her without knowing chinese, no way, unless you like to depend on your wife… lol

There are those who are married for decades to a TW girl. Still cant read or write chinese or speak it. No problemo. Ones got nothing to do with the other.

I agree tho, want to live in Taiwan, you will be much better of if at least you can speak and understand chinese. Thats my opinion.

[quote=“tommy525”]There are those who are married for decades to a TW girl. Still cant read or write Chinese or speak it. No problemo. Ones got nothing to do with the other.

I agree tho, want to live in Taiwan, you will be much better of if at least you can speak and understand chinese. Thats my opinion.[/quote]

… and have found themselves locked out of their homes, deprived of their children, when they accidentally sign something they shouldn’t…

Too risky, Tommy, in the best of cases, as said, the person will be dependent on his wife, shut out from community life, not being able to understand teh most basic of announcements in emergency situations, not able to fully participate in his children’s education as can’t confer with teachers, etc… We are not asking total fluency, but you will find even the most recalcitrant atoga who says “he hasn’t learned Chinese” is actually faking it so he can listen on people’s true intentions.

No way! Its THAT obvious? :laughing:

Tommy and JFP are both right. Marry her or dive into the Chinese language snakepit. Either way, those are your two options if you want to stay long-term. The odds of getting another 2-year MEV are super slim these days.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“tommy525”]There are those who are married for decades to a TW girl. Still cant read or write Chinese or speak it. No problemo. Ones got nothing to do with the other.

I agree tho, want to live in Taiwan, you will be much better of if at least you can speak and understand chinese. Thats my opinion.[/quote]

… and have found themselves locked out of their homes, deprived of their children, when they accidentally sign something they shouldn’t…

Too risky, Tommy, in the best of cases, as said, the person will be dependent on his wife, shut out from community life, not being able to understand teh most basic of announcements in emergency situations, not able to fully participate in his children’s education as can’t confer with teachers, etc… We are not asking total fluency, but you will find even the most recalcitrant atoga who says “he hasn’t learned Chinese” is actually faking it so he can listen on people’s true intentions.[/quote]
I think Man o Sand came out ok didnt he?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great. I am so baffled by how difficult it is to stay here. I suppose they are worried about illegal workers and such.

I had studied at Shida previously so it looks like that is the way to go. The thing about Shida was that they concentrated so much on reading and writing while listening and speaking were less focused on and to me way more important. I suppose this is not the place to ask where there is a school that focuses more on speaking and listening.

Marriage? hmm…lets try the Chinese thing first…

It’s not hard, set up a representative office if you have a company in Canada. All in it’s about NT$30k with the ARC. There’s a thread about it somewhere…

Come on, reality check time. How long could a foreigner stay in Canada on the same type of visa?

IF you have a 60 day stya thats means 60 days a year. What sort of person remains another country as a “tourist” for 3 years.

TW doesnt need you to give up an arm and a leg to stay long term, just a leg will do.