How to use "之所以"

This was one of the Chinese translations on the HiTutor website:
1.) “[color=#FF0000]這次之所以[/color]在比賽之後才取消他的資格,是因為藥檢的結果之後才出來。”

I’m having a hard time seeing how “這次之所以” fits here. My base knowledge of the grammar makes me thinks that they’d write it like this:

2.) “[color=#FF0000]這次[/color]在比賽之後才取消他的資格[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color],是因為藥檢的結果之後才出來。”

But (2) doesn’t seem the be how they use it.

So what gives?

I’ve never seen “所以” (therefore) work as a noun in Chinese before.

之所以 does not mean therefore, its more something like “why?”, or “why did this happen?” and is used in pairings with 是因為.

So the sentence construction is…
(這次)之所以…(xxx)…,是因為…(yyy)…

(This time)why did …(xxx)… happen, its precisely because…(yyy).

Very informal introduction I’m sure someone can do it better, however this should help you out for now.

You will get more responses if you use a different, less linguistically-jargony, heading.

Try something like "How to use 之所以“。 That subject heading will not only get more responses, it will be also be more useful to others in the future.

[quote=“ehophi”]This was one of the Chinese translations on the HiTutor website:
1.) “[color=#FF0000]這次之所以[/color]在比賽之後才取消他的資格,是因為藥檢的結果之後才出來。”
I’ve never seen “所以” (therefore) work as a noun in Chinese before.[/quote]

[color=#FF0000]This time, the reason why[/color] he is disqualified after the competition, is because the drug test result only came out after.

(xxx)所以(yyy) = (cause)Therefore(effect).

e.g. 因為藥檢沒過,所以他被取消資格

Adding the 之 signifies you are describing the outcome first, and te cause of this outcome is to following in the second part of the sentence.

之所以(yyy)(xxx) = The reason why(yyy) is because of (xxx).

e.g. 之所以他被取消資格,因為他藥檢沒過

The original sentence should be:
這次在比賽之後才取消他的資格,是因為藥檢的結果之後才出來。

之所以(the reason why) we add 之所以 in the middle of the sentence is to stress the fact that usually he would have been disqualified before the competition.

[quote=“ironlady”]You will get more responses if you use a different, less linguistically-jargony, heading.
Try something like "How to use 之所以“。 That subject heading will not only get more responses, it will be also be more useful to others in the future.[/quote]

I don’t have a problem with that. Can moderators change the titles of threads?

I would like to see someone parse it for me, though.
It sounds like it may not be [之][所以] [P][NP]

Could you tell me more details about this? Are there other examples besides “之所以?”

Every time I see ‘之’, I usually gather that it’s working like a preposition:
“……百分[color=#FF0000]之[/color]幾……”;
“……在一個地方[color=#FF0000]之[/color]中……”;

But there are times when it’s doing adverbial work, like the second “之後” in:
“這次在比賽之後才取消他的資格,是因為藥檢的結果[color=#FF0000]之後[/color]才出來。”

The CC-Edict recommended what you did, translating “之所以” to “the reason why”. But it looks like it works like an adverb phrase, so I’d be interested to see an English adverb phrase that also translates into it. Can anyone think of one?

My reasoning for this isn’t some obsession with parallel syntax. There appear to be sentences where “之所以” stands on its own and doesn’t translate well to “the reason why”:
“他[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]取得成功是他努力的結果。” Transliterated: “His [color=#FF0000][adverbially][/color] acquiring success is a result of his striving.”
“家[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]為家並不在於住所的設計與修飾。” ICIBA: “A home does not consist in the quality of its architecture and decoration.”
“據說,這就是梅雨潭[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]得名了。” ICIBA: “They say this is the origin of the name Plum Rain Pool.”

[quote=“ehophi”]

Every time I see ‘之’, I usually gather that it’s working like a preposition:
“……百分[color=#FF0000]之[/color]幾……”;
“……在一個地方[color=#FF0000]之[/color]中……”;

But there are times when it’s doing adverbial work, like the second “之後” in:
“這次在比賽之後才取消他的資格,是因為藥檢的結果[color=#FF0000]之後[/color]才出來。”

The CC-Edict recommended what you did, translating “之所以” to “the reason why”. But it looks like it works like an adverb phrase, so I’d be interested to see an English adverb phrase that also translates into it. Can anyone think of one?

My reasoning for this isn’t some obsession with parallel syntax. There appear to be sentences where “之所以” stands on its own and doesn’t translate well to “the reason why”:
“他[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]取得成功是他努力的結果。” Transliterated: “His [color=#FF0000][adverbially][/color] acquiring success is a result of his striving.”
“家[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]為家並不在於住所的設計與修飾。” ICIBA: “A home does not consist in the quality of its architecture and decoration.”
“據說,這就是梅雨潭[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]得名了。” ICIBA: “They say this is the origin of the name Plum Rain Pool.”[/quote]

I would say the closest parallel to 之 in English preposition would be “of”. But since English have different prepositions for locality, time and so on, this quickly breaks down.
百分之三 = 3 “out of” a hundred
一個地方之中 = the middle/center of a place.

I would consider 之後 still the same as the other examples you give. I think of that as “of the following”.

I think to be more grammatically similar to the original sentences (not usually the best way to translate something), I would translate your example phrases as the following
“他[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]取得成功是他努力的結果。” “The reason why he acquired success is the result of his hard work”
“家[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]為家並不在於住所的設計與修飾。” Architecture and decoration is not what makes a place into home"
“據說,這就是梅雨潭[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]得名了。” “They say this is why Plum Rain Pool is so named.”[/quote]

[quote=“hansioux”]I would say the closest parallel to 之 in English preposition would be “of”. But since English have different prepositions for locality, time and so on, this quickly breaks down.
百分之三 = 3 “out of” a hundred
一個地方之中 = the middle/center of a place.[/quote]

I usually think of it as something similar to “of,” but allow for more pristine translations so long as it retains something similar to what the symbol ‘’.

The “…之中…” works like a prepositional phrase if you take ‘中’ to be a short-form of ‘中間’; and I do, for the sake of that.

I would think so, too, but don’t have enough evidence to support a claim for it. I would be tempted to read the ‘後’ as a shortened form of ‘後果’ or ‘後面’, depending on the context. Then we just have prepositional phrases, which is more parsimonious and is more straightforward for parsing (I know that the latter doesn’t interest people here much, but it is helpful for people with those interests).

There’s a hitch in granting a few null noun phrases here or there, but I use a grammar which revolves on ellipses for such explanations.

If we do that, then we can try a prepositional phrase for “之所以” in those sentences, and I would read them in this way, with some accuracy:

“這次[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]在比賽之後才取消他的資格,[那]是因為藥檢的結果之後才出來。” “This time, they ‘disqualified his eligibility’ only after the competition [color=#FF0000]for a reason[/color], and that was because the drug test’s results only came out after.”
“他[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]取得成功[,]是他努力的結果。” “He acquired success [color=#FF0000]for a reason[/color], which was the result of his hard work.”
“家[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]為家並不在於住所的設計與修飾。” “[color=#FF0000]For this reason[/color], a home’s being a home doesn’t lie in the domicile’s design and decoration at all.”
“據說,這就是梅雨潭[color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]得名了。” “Reportedly, this is [color=#FF0000]why[/color] Plum Rain Pool got its name.” (MISMATCH)
“他們中還有很多人選擇了乘長途大巴回家。[他們][color=#FF0000]之所以[/color]選擇大巴,一方面是因為沒有時間或者根本買不到合適時間的火車票。” “Among them, there were still many people who chose to ride the long distance bus to return home. They chose the bus [color=#FF0000]for these reasons[/color]. On the one hand, it was because they didn’t have time or simply couldn’t afford train tickets that fit their times.”

I’m a little late to the party here… But in classical Chinese (and formal modern Chinese) 之 Is often a pronoun, and that’s how I interpret it in the case of 之所以. “He’s so successful because his wife is always there for him” : 他之所以如此功成名就,是因為老婆的支持。The sentence would otherwise be 他因為老婆的支持,所以才能如此功成名就。 So the 之 is a sort of pronoun representing 因為老婆的支持. I think.