How to work in the legal field in Taiwan as a foreign law student?

Hi everyone,

I’m a Dutch law student, studying International & European law and Maritime & Transport law, and I was lucky enough to study in Taipei at the National Taiwan University during my masters. I would really like to live and work in Taipei (or another Taiwanese city). However, I don’t know how to achieve it, does anyone of you have information that could help? Any tips? I don’t necessarily need to become a lawyer. I hope you guys can help me out!

[quote=“fankesen”]Hi everyone,

I’m a Dutch law student, studying International & European law and Maritime & Transport law, and I was lucky enough to study in Taipei at the National Taiwan University during my masters. I would really like to live and work in Taipei (or another Taiwanese city). However, I don’t know how to achieve it, does anyone of you have information that could help? Any tips? I don’t necessarily need to become a lawyer. I hope you guys can help me out![/quote]

First, lease check your private messages about a possible internship in Taiwan.

In general, the first thing you need to do is find a potential job. That’s because you need an employer to apply for a work permit in order to work.

I’m guessing that you didn’t get your masters degree from NTU. If you did, you probably would qualify for a work permit under the newish points scheme. One of the advantages of this is that there is no minimum salary requirement (although you do get points for certain salary levels).

Otherwise you’ll need to find a job that will pay you around NT$48,000 a month. You can find the information about work permits for foreign professionals here. Most foreigners start their job search online at a site like www.104.com.tw. It’s in Chinese, but you can enter key words like ‘editor’ or ‘Netherlands’ in English. Many job posting are in English. Also check out the NTU job site page.

It can be difficult to arrange a job from overseas. Most employers aren’t really interested in trying to deal with someone that is not already in Taiwan. There are exceptions.

Another alternative is to do an internship. See the NTU internship page for foreign students.

I used to have a college worked as a lawyer in ITRI (Dutch from South Africa), but now ITRI (Industrial Technology Research Institution) does not employ foreign lawyers anymore. I am an in-house counsel of a high-tech corporation, being an in-house counsel here for 12 years, I could ask around and see if any of my friend still open to foreign law students. You may mail your resume to my mailbox: pianoallnight99@gmail.com and I will ask around for you.