How (un)bearable is humidity in Taiwan ?

This was yesterday on the north coast.

1 Like

I’m NYT wit:

“The heat wave was expected to hit Britain early this next week, when temperatures were forecast to reach 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) for the first time.

In a country unaccustomed to such heat, workers were spreading grit on the roads, fearing they would melt without protection. Schools said they would move classes remotely. And Transport for London, the city’s transit agency, urged people not to travel on Monday and Tuesday because rail tracks could bend or buckle in the heat.

The British government’s top emergency committee, Cobra, was also planning an emergency meeting on Saturday to discuss the response to the extreme weather.”
— New York Times

3 Likes

Seems like the hotter it gets down south the colder it gets here in Hokkaido. I think cold air from up north must be pulled down latitude or something. Right now at noon here the temp is 19 degrees and the real feel is 18. I’ve been building a fire in the wood stove every night just to keep warm.

1 Like

This is from this morning.

The sun directly on the skin feels like a knife.

1 Like

It’s close to unbearable, but I’d have to say that living in Dublin was even worse; all the humidity without the sunshine. Wish I could’ve brought the climate from the Guatemalan highlands to Taiwan (around 28C 200 days+ a year with zero humidity), but live on a mountain here and your house is prone to being washed away.

(Side note: anyone who has been in London on a fairly hot day, say 28C, will know it feels way hotter than that, and the London Underground on such a day is among the worst places in the world to be.)

2 Likes

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

anyone know what other countries get similar to taiwans friction winds? that BS gets serious fast!

Friction winds? Are they the wind where am heavy mass of air falls down the side of a mountain?

yes, those ones. quite the amazing event really. but uncomfortable as all phuck!! I don’t know how to type those characters, will post it later when I can get some adult help :slight_smile:

Are you referring to Foehn winds? Hot and dry when it arrived in the north—I love it, though stay out of direct sunshine if you can!

Guy

1 Like

Isn’t that when one farts and does the deed on shag carpets?

the foehn winds? South taiwan has something like that I think.
LA gets something like that , called santa ana i think??

which apparently are NOT foehn winds but instead called katabatic winds which taiwan also has.

A katabatic wind may have been partly the cause of a China airlines 737 crash . Captain flew too low over mountains and such winds caused him to crash straight into the mountain, the relatively new plane.

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=china+airlines+737+crash+hualian

i flew on that plane once or twice before the accident B180

My last ever summer Taipei, it’s unbearable to me, I have a minor injury that just won’t heal and it’s really pissing me off. I’ve been back 3 months to days of heavy rain, humidity that makes me sweat from every pore.
Taiwan sucks!
My brother got it right, retired to Spain, maybe hot but only lasts a short time.
Europe here I come.

Summer is like microwave oven and winter is like a freezer + boss is from ****

It’s pissing down with rain again. I have every light in the apartment switched on all day.
Sweat is pouring out of me, the only luxury is New Taipei City library that I’m heading of to and watch some U.K. tv in comfy seat big desk space free air con and filtered water.

Did you go to Taipei to retire? My brother is trying to convince me to buy a place in Spain. I’m a long long way from retirement, and not that fussed on Spain tbh, but it looks very nice.

Personally I prefer northern France to Spain but anything looks better than Taipei at the moment.
Partial retirement was the plan but Taiwan is a bitch for a foreign man without a Taiwanese wife/husband to run a business.
Just getting a business bank account is a hurdle.

1 Like

That depends. Wildfires are much worse than humidity IMHO.

3 Likes

This is the hottest, wettest time of the year in Kaohsiung, but we still get lots of sun, and last winter was a dream. I guess only another 6 weeks of the hotandwet. Weather wise, you’re in the wrong part of Taiwan

5 Likes

I suppose your business is going to dictate where you can go to some degree. I used to spend a lot of time with my mates in my late teens and early twenties the southwest corner of France, Bordeaux and the coast. Nice down there, food is fantastic but can get a bit humid.

1 Like