How Was Your CNY With The Family? Any Dark Comedy Stories?

Mine wasn’t too dark. I honestly only mean this humorously and I love and respect these friends and family and culture.

Being forced to eat all kinds of individually packed treats. Driving to the next town over to stand in line for 30 minutes at the only shop that has the “best” of the particular treat. Up one night until 3am playing mahjong. Eating all the special foods that seem to be mostly the same foods eaten every day except during CNY have to prepare all of them and then wait until they are all finished and cold before can start eating. Watching uncle spitting red with missing teeth. Being the one person in the room that everyone wants to drink with. Everyone staring at me and commenting because I know how to use chopsticks. LOUD TALKING ALL THE TIME. Some kids scared of me, some friendly. Constantly telling me to talk and practice my Chinese, while I’m thinking yes good idea, but can I just enjoy a few minutes listening and maybe enjoying my current activity. Being introduced to strangers that dropped in because they can speak English and then expected to carry on a conversation. Following grandmother on her scooter, while I’m driving my car, to 3 different temples so we can pray to the different gods to protect me returning to Taipei. BRIGHT LIGHTS. Forced to fit too many people into too small of a house for sleeping, and then coming up with an excuse to move to a hotel the next night. Trying to understand the “auntie” and situation that lives in the same house with grandma and grandpa. I’ve got more but thats a good start.

6 Likes

Don’t know about crazy stories, but I’m pretty sure I’m the only white person to ever set foot in my wife’s hometown.

2 Likes

same as what tango42 said. haha

I saw another westerner this year in the village.

Blow-in!

Fallujah levels of fireworks were let off by the demented in laws.

2 Likes

24/7 Fireworks for 10 days here in Malaysia. Large fires in the road.

Regifting mandarin oranges. How many can one family eat?

I’m the only gay in the village.

I bumped into two whiteys this time round. Rather spoiled my CNY experience.

I need more days off. The only horror tale I have is that my allergies played up and now cover half my face.

I wish I could find a way to work from home and support this furry tribe of mine.

My brother in law (it’s complicated) decided that he would demonstrate his macho prowess to us all during the annual fireworks extravaganza.

Not content with mere rockets stuck in tubes he decided he would grab them in his hand, playfully light them and aim them at assembled relatives and his own kids and at the last second would flick his hand to let it whistle off in the other direction. Tee hee.
He did this about seven or right times for added effect.

Meanwhile kids of all ages from about six up were lighting and letting off fountains, bombs, butterflies, rockets of all descriptions by themselves following the enthusiastic leadership of the BIL. BIL admonished his kid for not being ballsy enough to hold rockets in his hand.

During one of the low flying rocket tests another uncle suddenly decided to drive into the yard and the rocket almost grazed his helmet less head. Guy didn’t even blink just laughed.

Fun was had by all!

1 Like

This isn’t recently, but the first time I visited my wife’s home we arrived early in the morning and walked through the living room to find a whole pig’s head sitting on the coffee table. It was basically facing us as we walked in. I don’t know if they did it to screw with me or not because nobody has done that since.

I trust you dressed up properly?

1 Like

Was it around the same time that someone made you an offer you couldn’t refuse? :ponder:

I ended up marrying her, didn’t I? :unamused:

It was probably to prepare me for the pig-slaughter fest when we got married. I wasn’t a fan of that and fought it tooth and nail but there wasn’t much I could do in the end.

My CNY - just me and kiddo, a dog and new added family the 5 little fish in small aquarium…

Hurray for me as I got no in-laws quite content for short holiday.
During CNY nothing much to do so I do some usual thingy house work, cooking for two, do some those and these. Going out and do little shopping ending up just window shopping :sweat_smile:

Now back to work and apparently China still on holiday…i’m jealous

Don’t be. The great migration back to work is nothing to be jealous about.

Yeah, that sounds incredibly . . . unfun.

Guy

your right