How was your ride today?

Don’t overthink it or you won’t make it. I’ve seen people who aren’t super fit doing it. I hope that motivates you.

1 Like

My next challenge is 100km on the west coast with my three friends.

Start at Bali and ride almost to Hsinchu, then come back. The gradient graph only went upto like 20m/25m so it is basically flat.

Should I try it? My previous max I have cycled was 45km and that was with a climb back into Linkou.

No.

I mean… NO.

Why don’t you wants take a train to let’s say Jiaoxi, and then come back by the coast? far more beautiful. The West coast is fugly. Also there’s a lot of wind around that area.

It’s the event that has been organized. A scenic route is not in the equation, I just want to test myself.

Well, that could be fun, personally I hate crowds but you might meet nice people there to ride with in other occasions, but I would really head to the other side of planet Taiwan.

1 Like

Leave at 6.30 and the cut off time is 14:00. 50km out and then 50km back. I think it is totally doable. Plus I will be riding with 3 mates and not myself.

1 Like

It is. IDK who the organiser is but it sounds like the only event I joined in Taiwan: full of middle age people with lame skills and super expensive bikes (and others with cheap bikes too).

Well the registration period is over. Anyway to beg the organizers to sign me up late?

Don’t bother to join up officially. Just show up and ride along. It’s all on public roads, so no need to sign up (you just can’t get a participation medal, or use their drink stations).

1 Like

Weather says there is rain that day.

I will do a ride on Saturday instead in the beautiful sunshine.

You have to pay for this function! There used to be a wrap around, but that died pretty quickly.

You can consider using the lap function on your cycling computer. Do a bit of homework on where the segment starts on Strava and remember to press the lap button when you start it and stop. This will give you an idea of how you did on the segment without having to pay for Strava.

I’m not too familiar with Bryton, but not sure if they can provide live segments like Garmin devices can!

1 Like

Free Strava will still record your segment times - you can also set up your own segments with the free account. But on the phone you can’t see how you’re doing mid-ride. Also, it’s difficult to compare your segment times. At the free tier, the app and website will tell you if you’ve got your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd best times for the segment, and will also tell you your personal best. On my iPhone, but not in the website, I can also see a comparison with the most recent four or five times.

In short, free Strava still does quite a bit. If you want to see how you did, it works well. If you want to see how you’re doing, mid-ride, not so useful.

Caveat: I’ve had a free account for a number of years now, so maybe I’m grandfathered in with some features? But I haven’t heard about that being a thing with Strava.

The Garmin computers have it for free.

On Garmin Connect there’s a segment section where you can star segments. If you sync the computer with them, you’ll get a segment screen as soon as you start the climb. This is separate from Strava (although I think you can also hook up Strava segments as well).

1 Like

I started using Strava right as it was booming…around 5-6 years ago. Without it, I really don’t think I would’ve gotten really into cycling. The aspect of checking if you got a PR on a certain segment and stacking it up against your friends and cycling groups was really good motivation for me. Back then there was already a pay wall, but it was mostly analytical tools.

It was tough to see leaderboards go, but I 100% understand why Strava put that behind a pay wall after the pandemic hit the world hard.

Ah, the Garmin Connect segments! Forgot about those. Will look into that, it’ll be nice to see live segments on the screen.

1 Like

I had just come back Saturday evening from a 3 day long eating and drinking mini vacation in Tainan. I knew I had to get out and shed a bit of vacation weight and asked around friends what their Sunday plans were.

I ended up meeting a friend living in Xin Zhuang to do a bit of Guan Yin Shan. I usually do not ask too many details about ride details as sometimes friends do not really give too much info!

After the main climb, I was told, there was a Takeshi Kaneshiro tree in Taipei? So we descended down a bit and then headed up one of the steepest climbs I had done in awhile.

The reward was worth it though. Damn that fog.

For those that many be curious about where to find the tree:

https://www.strava.com/segments/10795680

Careful going out in the next few days, that air pollution is no joke.

2 Likes

What is that?

EDIT: @Icon. Because when He is Named, she should know.

1 Like

:man_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: :facepunch:

1 Like

Yesterday, before university spring break starts, looking at forecast for week ahead: yay! I’ll be able to get a bunch of riding in! With the recent pollution and rain, I’m not getting in anywhere near as much spring riding as I’d like.

Today, looking at today’s air, and the pollution forecast: ah crap.