How was your ride today?

With a break in the rain this morning, I finally completed a “loop”, sort of. I had some unexpected detours. My sense of direction has gone terribly downhill (excuse the pun) as I never owned a car or motorcycle in Taiwan. But I guess I’m lucky I was able to backtrack my steps, complete the route and didn’t end up at a Wanhua teahouse asking for ‘samples’.

Decided to give the Graveyard a 2nd try and, as suggested, went ‘right’ to Muzha and the riverside. On the short climb and descent I only saw two other cyclists. I guess everyone else was tackling more manly ascents that would make Chris Froome proud.

Next weekend, weather permitting, I hope to take on one of the other climbs suggested here.

3 Likes

One of them could have been me! I took the third hike-a-bike option down, however, by hiking down some steps behind the ridge and descended into Xinyi where I picked up some ramen from Ichiran.

2 Likes

If it was you, I should’ve had you pick up me some ramen from Ichiran. That is a pro move with a ramen stop.

With Ichiran take-away you use a plastic bag and hang it on your handle bars or you slurping it down right outside?

1 Like

You can’t eat it right away. The take-away is for you to reheat in a microwave at home. It comes with instructions down to the number of seconds you should stir the noodles after the soup is heated at 500 watt setting. But honestly, despite all the detailed instructions, it’s just not the same as having it in store. I don’t think I’ll get the take-away again.

1 Like

Washed out…
What’s your guys attitude toward riding in the rain :umbrella:.

I live on 10KM closed loop bike path with no problem with traffic. I ride in the rain if there’s no threat of thunder showers.
The path I’m talking about goes through places where you’re the tallest thing there and there is no shelter.

The trouble is, thunderstorms come quickly. You cancel a ride… It just rains.
You go… You find yourself turning back and racing the storm home…
I haven’t ridden for several days.

My Taiwan friends don’t ride, but the show no defference to lightning as it relates to their scooter commute or jobs.
I tried a signing a reading about lightning safety to one of my 16 year old private students a few years back…
He did not like the tone saying the article was too bossy.
That was a private class foreign German purposes so I just dropped the article and went with something else.
Also, try buying a lightning arrestor for your home antenna installation. They don’t find it necessary or understand even with the thing is. You’ll just get you think too much response.

1 Like

I’m a wimp. I don’t think I’ve ever set out for a ride in the rain.

I’m not particularly adverse to riding on the riverside paths in the rain. However, I slow down because it’s more slippery, which means I’m not getting the exercise I’d otherwise get. And cleaning the bike afterwards is annoying.

Riding in the mountains in the rain, at least on the narrower roads I usually take in Danshui / Sanzhi, scares me. Too slippery, too easy to fall.

Would this be different with different tires?

Caveat: I also lift weights at home and, in non-Covid times, swim. (Autocorrect wanted that to be “non-Ovid times”, which I suppose is a premise for a classicist’s Doctor Who episode?) And I enjoy long walks. This means when it’s raining I usually have other things I can do for exercise. If I didn’t have those things, I’d probably ride in the rain more often.

2 Likes

You know when the stars align and your legs still feel fresh as you stroll up to the climb. And then you get started and that 3.8% grade feels like the flats and 5.6% grade feels like 5.1%? Well, that didn’t happen today.

Summary

After some internal debate this morning, I felt my legs might be able to handle my 3rd ever climb despite riding yesterday. With all the rain, I thought I might need to make most of the weekend. I tried to take it easy riding over there. So I didn’t make every redlight like the start of an F1 race. No Peter Sagan-esque sprints. A leisurely stroll.

Making the turn at the gas station to start the climb, my legs felt good. 30 seconds into the climb and I wanted to be home with the A/C on. It was a slog. I took 4 short breaks getting up to that ‘Temple’ lookout which is taped off. Even with ultra fresh legs I would not have been able to get up there without stopping. Gonna need to practice climbing or get a 21 speed bike. :laughing:

So I keep going the 25 meters up and decided to descend on the other side rather than just turn around and go down the same way.

The first part of the descent was super steep and not paved well at all. I should have stopped and turned back, but my sweaty gloved hands was not prepared and I really had a hard time gripping the brakes on the hoods. Eventually it got to some normal paved roads and was a nice ride down until I got a flat tire.

I was dreading having to do a tube change roadside, but at least I was prepared. I checked the tire for cuts/puncture and couldn’t find a thing. I swapped the tubes and started slowly opening the valve for the CO2, it inflated nicely, closed the valve, pressure was holding–> Big smile across my medical mask covered face. I almost dislocated my shoulder patting myself on the back. I go to unscrew the CO2 tool from the valve and as soon as I get it off the air immediately goes out. I thought maybe I screwed up something with the valve. But here at home I found that the problem was part of the wheel tape got cut by the area with the spokes and that caused both punctures. I did not check the inside of the wheel. Rookie mistake.

So this cycling noob just got baptized with urine by the Cycling Gods.

5 Likes

Rode with my son and wife this morning. On his first ride yesterday, he almost puked. My fault. I made him finish his cereal before we headed out. Much to his credit, he said he would try again today, but only right after waking and on an empty stomach. So that’s what we did this morning and we even rode on past our usual halfway mark. What a trooper. Very proud. My wife also saw some real improvement today.

Got home. We had breakfast. But now it was time to make sure my daughter got some exercise. So we all headed out for a very short hike with the dog.

After lunch and a nap, I wanted to get in a real workout. So I headed out again to cycle by myself. My time was terrible but I felt really good on the mountain.

And this beer now is really hitting the spot.

5 Likes

I went to a park but no bikes so rode around. I have no clue how you guys bike so many km though (and done fast) :sob: mine is barely 1/4 of what you guys ride.

3 Likes

If you’re caught out in it, finish your ride. When you get home, make sure to attend to your bike!

No.2 Dad :laughing:

Take it day by day! If you are just starting out, if you can, add 5-10kms each time you go out. Soon you’ll be doing these distances as your warm up.

5 Likes

I participated in the Rapha Ambitious for Autism charity ride this weekend and logged more kms on my trainer than I would prefer.

Ambitious 220 is just around the corner, riders all over the world will be riding 354km / 220 miles this weekend raising funds and awareness about the Autism Spectrum. Visit the link in our profile to find out how you can support our fundraising effort in Taiwan alongside the Foundation For Autistic Children And Adults in Taiwan (FACT).

https://www.fact.org.tw/contents/project_ct?page=1&p_id=5

In spite of the pandemic, we will ride strong together indoors, virtually on Zwift connected by a common cause. On Saturday, 26 June, Rapha Taiwan’s Deputy Store Manager, Tsai Hsi Chun will take on a 440km Zwift ride with 4,000m elevation.

His amazing feat will be broadcast on FB live and updates will be shared here. We’d love for you to join him, simply follow his Zwift account: CG (AMBITIOUS220 )[RCCTPE] and give him your encouragement!

First day, I completed the meet up route/distance…in agony. I was completely useless for the rest of the day. Do not do this if you have to take care of the kid or spend time with the SO. Mine wasn’t happy I was up at the crack of dawn spinning away until noon.

Day two, I was wondering what my life had come to to want to do another 5-6 hour day in the saddle. Below is a picture of my digital ass. I hopped off 30km from the finish as I had some things to take care of.

2 Likes

Well done.

BTW, Zwift uses Taiwan flags? Good on them.

3 Likes

Yeap. None of that Taiwan, Province of China stuff. Just “Taiwan”.

I know the Zwift Operations Manager here in Taiwan. I have to say he’s probably had a part in making that option happen.

3 Likes

Some real ATB today on field hiking paths even crossed a river on step stones.

5 Likes

I now know what it feels like to be my cycling friends in the EU/US for the past 1.5 years. Being stuck inside and then seeing my friends posting pics of their rides in the sun and clear blue skies.

3 Likes

What’s the best free ride tracking app for Android.
My band had a little accident and I cannot justify buying a new one until I’m freaking working again.

September if I’m lucky.,:flushed:

2 Likes

Seriously, I appreciate the heart but what I want is a genuinely free/open source app.

Three I tried just want money…
There was one I enjoyed before the band but I forgot it.
Think it started with an m

OK I shall refrain until I return to Taipei.

Enjoy whatever cycling you can Guys until the covid nightmare has left us all.

Noooo, please keep posting :wink:. If I can’t ride, someone else should!

Strava.

3 Likes

Given the current “lock down” in Taiwan, I thought it would be good to share some cycling perspectives from outside Taipei/Taiwan. Every country/city has different cycling, here are my perspectives on New York City, after having cycled in Taipei/surrounding areas…I’m sure others have different perspectives on other cities/countries…

NYC (Manhattan)

• A lot of cycling shops, lots of options on purchasing bike parts etc.
  • Recently (past year or so) a significant increase in bike paths
  • Great cycling culture, very friendly and easy to join cycling groups/teams
  • Good investments by the city in cycling infrastructure - recently more and more bike paths
  • Not a lot of hills - it’s all flat…and the bump (hill) in Central Park really doesn’t count…looking forward to cycling Bear Mountain once it’s a bit cooler
  • Road quality is not very good (probably due to very cold Winters/very hot summers) - lots of gravel and quite a few pot holes
  • Traffic is much more aggressive than Taipei - need to be much more careful cycling on city streets vs. Taipei

Both are fun places to cycle, just different, though I am looking forward to returning to cycling in Taipei/Taiwan (pics are from Riverside bike paths on the West side of Manhattan). BTW, I “hug my bike”…

6 Likes