How was your ride today?

I still do not understand how that road is two way. In the years that I have been riding, I have probably only ridden that way up to the grave yards…twice.

1 Like

I don’t think that graveyard was properly planned. After all, victims of the White Terror are buried there in nameless graves. I’ve ridden Chongde enough times to know where the big cracks in the asphalt are and which blind corners I need to slow down for. There’s even a place where if you fall off, you’ll end up among the dead below. By comparison, the cemetery toward the Muzha side is much better organized. In addition to being two lanes, the smoothly paved asphalt is a joy to ride on.

2 Likes

I actually was up that way last Friday on an errand to Shenkeng. I usually take the 109 from Nangang to Shenkeng, but decided to take the longer route since I was not in a hurry. I ran into road construction where they were paving the middle flat section where there’s a small community.

I am really looking forward to all these newly paved roads once level 3 gets lifted.

3 Likes

Lovely ride today: out from Danshui before 7am, up Balaka, definitely not Datunshan, down to Jinshan, and back home around the coast. Gorgeous skies the whole time, as clear as Taipei ever gets. 76km, a little over four hours of riding time, but over five hours total time because as the sun got higher, so did the frequency and lengths of water breaks.

But hot. I dislike the stretch on the main road between Qianshuiwan and Danshui - it feels like the lights are perfectly counter-timed to catch me again and again. Usually I avoid that, and instead head up the 北12 or 北7 (大湖路) to do another hill, and then coast home on the 101, but today … nope. Too hot.

I somehow got a bit of sunburn on my upper left calf. Just that corner. I normally don’t put sunscreen on my legs, but maybe I should consider it. I may continue wearing a buff when all this COVID nonsense is over and done with - I like the extra sun protection it provides.

The 7-11 on the outskirts of Jinshan had the biggest selection I’ve seen of the delicious Latvian Ekselence ice cream bars. This made me sad. Those are difficult to find in Danshui. I don’t know if an ice cream bar is a recommended mid-ride snack, but sacrifices must be made!

Also sad: pretty much every turn off / rest area is still taped off. Little viewing platforms over the ocean? Yellow tape. Picnic tables beside the road down from Yangmingshan? Taped off. The Qianshuiwan (淺水灣) area is if anything more taped off than it was a few weeks ago. I used to be able to get a few meters off the road and see the ocean. Today I couldn’t find a way to do even that.

9 Likes

About to ride for the first time in a week. 🥲 I’m about to die haha. I do want to know with the dusk mask do you wash them by hand or throw them away?

that’s a classic 7-11 for cyclists to stop at. Maybe they do more turnover of ice creams in summer because of that?

not much else to eat in Jinshan when you’re on a ride.

enjoy your leisurely mountain rides!

1 Like

Great write up—and great photo! Thanks for posting this.

Guy

1 Like

I would say definitely Datunshan! On a day as glorious as today, I’d want to be at the top of Taipei’s highest road, even if I have to push my bike up! I’d go for elevation rather than distance on a clear day, but to each his own I guess.

I went on my usual graveyard ride, less than a third of your elevation I’d say. If only I had more time . . .

217412282_521215938932834_7415243641151340945_n

2 Likes

Fair enough, but I was up there recently and it’d been a while since I’d gone over to Jinshan. Plus I’d checked the Windy app and the winds were perfect for that route: I set personal bests for several segments along the coast.

I’ve done both Datunshan and Jinshan on the same ride before - that’s not the longest ride I’ve done, but almost definitely the hardest - but yesterday I felt that would be too long in the sun. That can wait until things cool off a little.

2 Likes

no shade up there! just nasty little ramps and switchbacks in the grass.

but indeed a grand view.

2 Likes

There’s actually a nice My Warm Day around the corner from the 7-11 that I frequent. I do not know if it’s a knock off or maybe just did not remodel their signings of the popular chain you often see in Taipei.

Huge variety of choices and also outside seating available which is always a plus.

2 Likes

Must be new! Well, within the last ten years.

Omg. Has it been that long?

If you turn a few more corners, there’s a Mcdonald’s too!

During a ride?! I thought I was pushing what my stomach could handle with an ice cream bar!

Many times I’ve ridden past the Dazzler’s in Baishawan and thought how good fish and chips and beer would be, ANY time but when I’ve got another hour or more of hot cycling before I’m home.

Not the healthiest of choices, but I figured, I’ll be burning off most of the calories anyways.

So that’s where they moved to! They used to be in Gongguan right by Yongfu bridge. I still have good memories of my post-ride fish & chips.

Oh, I’m not bothered by the calorie count (hence yesterday’s ice cream bar). I’m worried that a burger, fries, and coke would have me doubled over in pain by the roadside.

Yeah, I have a few cyclist friends that have to wait at least 15-20 mins to digest anything more than a rice triangle, but if you have gone on group rides, depending on the people you’re with, you know what to eat and how much.

1 Like

Rice triangles would result in arse-spraying mayhem for me, even more so than a big mac. I’m a sucker for a large full-fat coke to shoo off the dreaded bonk though :yum:

When you don’t get downstairs fast enough and your neighbors trap your bike. :frowning: I don’t think they’re doing it in a bad way but damn.

2 Likes