How was your ride today?

This brand is really familiar…

Had an interesting weeks riding (bear in mind my route is only 25km). Went out on Sunday, really felt boggy and struggled a lot to apply any power. Turned out the seatpost had slipped and was being held up by the strap for my light, d’oh! Went out a couple of days after that having fixed the seatpost, felt fast and really good, felt 100% and really fresh… but got back and realised both tyres had very little air in them, actually was quite a slow ride.

Today didn’t feel as good or as fast as previous ride but with a decent amount of PSI it was the quickest of the week and hit around the hour mark. On a 21kg bike with baggy clothing I’d call that a good ride.

I don’t ride to be quick though, I actually prefer the slower and harder rides because I spend more time riding and being outside. I’ve done that route a few times on my alloy 29er MTB quite often for that very reason. Enjoyable!

5 Likes

I’m guessing this guy got the KOM for that strava segment :sweat_smile:

Delete.

I’ve signed up for the 400k September challenge in Strava. I haven’t ridden in six years. I might have to do it in 33K legs. Great to be back on the bike.

7 Likes

Oh cool. I thought you had to be a subscriber to do that. I’ve just signed up for that one too.

As I’ve said several times upthread, I really need to get better at heading out for shorter rides, i.e. less than two hours. Too often I think “Ugh, I’m too busy today for the 4-5 hours I need for a ride” (including getting ready, cleaning up, laundry, etc.), when a one-hour ride up and down a nearby hill is still a good workout.

Enjoy getting back on the bike! It’s confusing sometimes looking back in the deep forumosa archive, and seeing your posts about cycling, and thinking “Wait … he doesn’t post in the cycling forum now, does he?!”

2 Likes

Distance is a recognizable goal and motivating. Looks nice on tracking app or spreadsheet. Easy to share with people.

Saying “I rode 25km” or “I rode 280km/175 miles this month” gets bigger WOWs than saying “I rode for an hour” or “I rode 1400 minutes this month”.

Time riding is more important for health.

So time riding is my daily goal.

For me anyway.

3 Likes

I’m lucky I live next to the riverside and even luckier next to the criterion circuit so it’s not a lot of hassle to get going. All the gear is a kerfuffle though, I’d forgot about that. Wednesday I headed out and forgot my gloves so had to ride via the Giant store to pick some up. Still too hot to ride sans gloves.

1 Like

Elevation for hardcore cyclists. Saying “I gained 500 meters today” gets bigger wows from fellow cyclists than saying “I rode 50 km.”

3 Likes

I wish Strava had some metric to measure that, as well as just “the longest ride”. Yes, that 90km (totally flat!) loop of Taipei may be my longest ride, but the 60-70km trips up and over Yangmingshan and through Jinshan and back over a couple of other hills were much more of an achievement.

2 Likes

Strava will record your longest individual climb. Although it would be nice to have a thing for the most elevation gained in a single ride.

2 Likes

Cool, I’ve never noticed that. Is there a way to search for it, rather than scrolling back to figure it out? Or maybe that’s unavailable for those who don’t subscribe.

Mine’s got to be from Danshui near-sea level to the summit of Datunshan - just over 1,000 meters - and I assume many Taipei cyclists have much the same longest climb!

Go to your profile. Scroll down to statistics. And your all time data will have your biggest climb. No subscription is necessary.

1 Like

Maybe something like every 100 meters of elevation gain equals 5 kilometers of distance? It would only be fair if they could incorporate such a conversion into the 400k September challenge, otherwise people would just stick to the riverside paths to reach the goal.

There are algorithms to calculate the difficulty. I don’t know if Strava applies any.

https://www.ibpindex.com/index.php/en/

2 Likes

Thanks! Huh, I’ve almost totally ignored that tab - I assumed it was social media stuff and personal settings. I didn’t realize there’s a bunch of useful information in there.

1 Like

Here’s what I have because of Wuling.

And my swims over the years.

2 Likes

I hit 53 km/h today. That was exciting. Also did a 70 meter climb. Can’t believe how hard climbing is.

5 Likes

If the_bear is getting out on his wheels, this hippo better get off his fat arse. Keep posting Oso.

4 Likes

The setting sun on my ride was wonderful today. 夕陽無限好。

5 Likes