How was your ride today?

Bike and hike again today :grin:. Wanted to leave at 6:00 but was too tired so left around 7:30 and just returned (after waiting for ages for my dinner…).

Well this should actually belong to the wack things in Taiwan. People queueing for around 20 minutes for the photo spot even though the weather was not Photo worthy…

It was like walking down a pedestrian zone on the top part, luckily I had walked up from the difficult and therefore unpopular starting location. And only had a tiny bit of loads of people trail on the way down

KOMs for hiking are so easy to make top 10… Cycling haha not. There was a huge group ride this morning around 200 people, 3 groups to guguan (one only half way). Pro Christian trenchev leading the pack. Destroying loads of KOMs on the way there. All coming opposite way. Haha that was even though I went rather slow I was never overtaken today on my bike. All the fast guys came opposite direction :rofl:

Check out my activity on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/6989077232/shareable_images/image?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJ1cmwiOm51bGwsInR5cGUiOiJtYXAiLCJ0b2tlbiI6Ijk4ODJlNmUwODY0OTVmNDlhODJkMTFjMGMyMjk3MzkwN2IyZDYzMjIiLCJ3aWR0aCI6MTA4MCwiaGVpZ2h0IjoyMTQ3LCJpbWFnZV93aWR0aCI6bnVsbCwiaW1hZ2VfaGVpZ2h0IjpudWxsLCJ1bmlxdWVfaWQiOm51bGx9.ItDNBrBbunT6k3h3i3I9GPL86BbtasoGQoqsRZ9hdLs&hl=en-US&utm_source=com.strava&utm_medium=referral

1 Like

I’m now trying to picture how long the line to the restrooms were with that many tandems.

1 Like

My family once rented a house for a holiday that had a similar toilet arrangement to the one in this picture (yes, it was two toilets, not a toilet and a bidet!):

2 Likes

Will arm wrestling help you poo?

5 Likes

Can’t get that out of my head now :rofl:

1 Like

Triumphant cry of “I won!!!”

Met with a satisfied sigh, “No. I won the battle that matters.”

2 Likes

Tamsui to Hsinchu via Lidong Lodge. T-I-R-E-D

I’ll try to do a report in the next days.

6 Likes

That is . . . quite the way to get from Tamsui to Hsinchu!

Looking forward to your report. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

It’s like a teaser trailer. The hype is real.

2 Likes

Don’t expect too much :laughing: Besides, I was short of time and I barely took photos.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7001052480

This is a ride I did on April 18. I was going to have a partner for this ride, but Covid had other plans and he could not make it. I went to Toucheng (Yilan) following a similar route to what we had planned.

Since I was not getting any sleep, I just woke up for an early start and at 5:20 am I was already on the bike. I was very lucky with the weather all day: great temperature (mean was 18) and cloudy without a drop of rain.

Once I left the cycle path, all the roads were new to me and they were almost entirely for me too. Almost no traffic at all (Monday) except for the last 10 km of coastal road with lorries everywhere. None of the 3 climbs had any crazy steeps and in fact they can be good climbs for someone looking for a challenge but not ready yet for the steepest roads.

北31 towards Pingxi is a wide road that that day was absolutely desert. Lots of picnic tables along the way.

To avoid the Pingshuang tunnel (1339 m long, downhill) I took the 北38 (7.19 km with 210 m of elevation). I love these small roads and how more often than not they are pretty good maintained. Of course, these roads that barely have any traffic, ever, can often have humid spots with moss and leaves. Anyway, I would recommend anyone to take this road instead of the tunnel (I hate tunnels).

After the tunnel, a fast descent to Shuangxi where the climb through Shuangtai Industry Road starts. I was already a bit tired when I started this last climb (81 km and two climbs already). But I still enjoyed it a lot. I love this area and this road goes for around 10 km at mid elevation with great countryside views. I also saw a Swinhoe’s Pheasant and other birds along this road. The first part of the descent (Daxi Industry Road) was a rough and humid (foggy) cement road. Luckily, the hairpins section had a better surface.

The coastal section of the route was by far the worst part. Lots of big trucks at high speed. At least they usually kept a fair distance from me.

I liked Toucheng. The old street has some interesting buildings, including a beautiful Japanese era mansion (Lu Zuan-Xiang Mansion). Sadly, as many other Taiwanese “old streets”, many of the old buildings are completely gone and replaced by brutalist era architecture, or in different levels of derelict and abandonment.

We (my wife and daughter took a train there) came back to Taipei by local train. The bike pays a special fare and it is only allowed on certain cars, just like taking a bike in the MRT. I had to ride from Songshan to Tamsui and I beat my wife (pushing a stroller) for just 3 minutes.

123.49 km 1,632 m for the day ride and 24.05 km for the night ride back home. So 147.5 km that day, which was my record so far.

11 Likes

I never sleep well before a big ride. It happened before doing “The hand” and also before going to Toucheng. This was not an exception. The problem was that this time I couldn’t make an early start, and I paid for it later. It was 7:20 am already when I jumped on the bike, at least one hour later than ideal.

By the time I was around Dingbu, it was very hot already. Plus I was quite uncomfortable from the slow digestion I was having. I could not eat anything before Sanxia, where I forced my body to finish a nocciola sandwich.

The climb and descent of the 7乙 road was a bit of a hell. Literally. My bike computer was showing 42 °C and I had to stop in Sanmin to cool down and to drink cold water inside a Hilife. After around 40 minutes I felt ready (actually I wasn’t ready but I had no more time to lose) to keep going. I still had another 10-15 km of very hot weather, but after that the mountains and the altitude made their part and everything was much better regarding temperature. Also the traffic improved once I left the Shimen Reservoir behind.

Highway 7 is a constant up and down (with more ups than downs). As we say in Spain, it is a bit “pestosa” and “rompepiernas”. But I was happy to be there riding on a Tuesday, on a mostly empty road. Then I took the Yufeng Road to head West, towards Hsinchu and the big climb of the day.

I have to admit that I stopped just before Mamei Road to consider whether or not to climb it, or to stay in Yufeng Road for a less brutal climb. I knew these two roads from driving them a few years ago, and of course from planning the cycling route. I was very tired and absolutely convinced that I wouldn’t be able to climb Mamei Road without walking a significant part of it. On the other hand, Yufeng Road is not a walk in the park either. What convinced me was that Yufeng Road was under maintenance works and I already rode a section of it through relatively fresh and sticky asphalt. I didn’t know how it was going to be further away and I didn’t want to ruin my tires or, even worse, my frame. So, brutal climb it was.

https://www.strava.com/segments/2354752

9 km at 9% and in Komoot it has a quite long section at 30%. After 90 km and more than 1000 m of elevation, my plan was clear: 30-40, zig-zag and to ride as slowly as physically possible.

I followed my plan and I am happy to say that I only had to stop a few times to eat. During these 9 km I ate as much as during the previous 90 km. Of course, these refueling stops also allowed me to rest a bit before continuing. Actually, I lied before, I walked, or should I say I crawled, a super steep short section (no more than 30 m) of very wet concrete covered with moss and wet leaves. I didn’t want to risk a crash due to losing traction and not being able to unclip on time (one of my specialties) in a remote area without phone signal. Luckily, there wasn’t any crazy 30% long section as Komoot says.

My wife took a train with our daughter to Hsinchu, so we could spend the night in a hotel and then come back to Taipei the day after. I did most of the Mamei Road convinced that I was going to spend the night in a room in the mountains, while they were in a hotel in Hsinchu. I only had one hour left of sun by the time I made it to Yulao Lookout. After talking to my wife I decided to start descending to try to make it to Hsinchu. As usual in the area, fog was intense for the first kilometers of the descent. By the time I made it to Neiwan, it was dark already. Since I had lights (one front and two rears) and the roads had some lightning, I decided to take the risk and to descend all the way to Hsinchu. It was almost 8 pm when I finally arrived at the hotel for a well deserved shower and dinner.

156.14 km and 2,410 m for my longest ride ever.

Notes about Mamei Road:
From East to West, the first few km (maybe a bit more than half the climb) it has a good asphalt surface. After that, it is rough concrete. Moreover, in the higher and flatter section some parts are more a dirt road than anything. I would not recommend cycling this road from West to East, at least not with a road bike (a gravel or a MTB with bigger tires should be fine), because the first part of the descent will be a very steep, rough and probably wet and slippery concrete road.

Cycling friendly trains!

10 Likes

Nothing like @Membrillo 's epic rides. I just had 2 hours of free time yesterday and rode up Nanshen Rd. in Nangang and descended down to Shenkeng (Tofu town). First time that I didn’t put my foot down throughout the climb. Total distance was just 35km with an elevation gain of less than 300m. There, I posted it. Just don’t want epic rides to monopolize this thread.

8 Likes

Nice one! that… ehem… partner… surely is very jealous!

1 Like

Nice! I’ve never done that road to Hsinchu. sounds like fun. always good to get out into the mountains.

i do like the Shuangxi and the Daxi industrial roads. lots of wildlife out there if you’re quiet. Mostly great birds, but monkeys and pigs too, at the right time of day.

2 Likes

Mamei road is a beautiful road. Highly recommended no matter the vehicle you’re using, just be extra careful on the steepest sections and as I said probably not the best downhill for a road bike. But, from Yulao Lookout it is pretty flat for quite a few km. Ideal for walking or cycling (if you don’t mind that your bike will end covered in dust and/or mud). Also, Lidong Lodge is very picturesque, although it looks like that it has been bought by someone and it was closed. There was two mean dogs too telling me not to get too close.

Actually, I think that Jianshi is my favourite area in Taiwan.

I’ll be lucky if I can do anything similar in the next four months. And congrats on climbing without stopping!

2 Likes

I would probably need four months to recover if I did those rides you did. :rofl:

I felt more sore after the ride to Toucheng than the one to Hsinchu. Probably just because I did it first. But in both cases, once I got again on the bike (same day in the former and the day after in the latter) I felt good. I had to ride from Banqiao to Tamsui and I didn’t feel any of the soreness that I was feeling while walking through Hsinchu. Although, if you ask me, I would have taken the MRT. By the way, I beat my wife again. This time it was almost photo finish.

1 Like

One of my favorite climbs in the city and also one I’ve been trying to get a PR on for awhile.

Today’s conditions really made it ideal with the light rain, cool weather and overcast. It was just the bike and me vs the mountain.

All in all, super enjoyable climb, can’t say the same about the descent down FGZ, almost got pushed off the road by a group of Porsches coming up the road. A-holes.

5 Likes

I did 25km on a flat circuit three weeks ago and somehow that was enough to injure my neck and I haven’t ridden since, even though it is better. Doesn’t make any sense to me how a neck is injured! :smiley: but yeah, give yourself some credit, do an amount that you enjoy and know what is enough.

I did 125km once on the bike because I wanted to try a big distance and I fucking hated every minute of it and the area that i did it in I will gladly never visit again in my lifetime.

I also once got asked to row, as in :rowing_man: , a half-marathon distance. I hadn’t trained for such an event, I was feeling utterly shattered at the time generally, but as the girl who asked me to do it with I was madly in love with I agreed. By the end, we hated each other, and I don’t think I spoke to her again after that. Good riddance.

Know your limits :smiley:

6 Likes