How will the Ala tragedy affect Taichung nightlife

How will the Ala tragedy affect Taichung Nightlife?

• It will make things worse. There will be fewer places and people will go out less often.
  • It will not change a thing.
  • It will actually make things better. They will build a bigger and better club in its place.

0 voters

It is my opinion that nightlife in Taichung has been going downhill for a while now. This weekend a fire killed nine people at a bar. I had been there before and am sure that the place was not up to fire code. My question is do you guys think this will make Taichung nightlife worse, or will things just continue on as before.
Will there be more police checks at Taichung discos looking for drugs and underage partiers? Will there be more serious fire inspections that will close places down making even fewer options for Taichung nightlife? Or will a few palms be greased as fire marshalls look the other way?

there will be checks for about 2 weeks while there is still a fuss. Then it will be business as usual.

Local shady businessmen are not going to learn to be risk averse just because of another bit of misfortune where some people died now are they?

Isn’t there a new venue for live music in Taizhong now? Refuge, or something like that?

And as for your question, things will continue more or less like they have before.

Just so people know what’s being talked about, here’s a link to an article:

Taichung nightclub fire kills nine

Yesterday there were inspections in Taipei and New Taipei City. Some fines were slapped. Funny how many emergency doors were blocked or were hard to open “because they haven’t been used in a while”. sigh

That said, probably “mon nan” or male strippers/performers will be banned, as the guy who was making the fire piroutes is being cruxified as the scapegoat… so convenient… a hundred people in a 30 ping place, flamant materials every where, no permits… yep, it’s all one guys fault. :unamused:

Its always a good idea to take a quick look at exits when going to a club. Unfortunately this is pretty common. I’m sure most of the Americans remember that fire in Rhode Island a few years back when over 100 people died. There’s a fascinating wikipedia article about a tragic fire that killed 500 people in Boston http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoanut_Grove_fire. In a fire situation people panic and its easy to get caught up in the melee. There’s a reason that doors open outward and that there are always regular doors next to the revolving door.

I’ve been to Luxy and other clubs on more than a few very crowded Saturday nights when the bartenders do their fire show. Definitely make me think twice about going back…sad story.

Its Taichung. THe people who own the clubs also own the police and the government. A little bit of face-saving, one or two scapegoats (who will be HEARTILY rewarded for falling on their swords) and back to business as usual. Don’t worry about it.

Sandman, there were many, many bars closed. There has been no compensation, nor will there be. I don’t know why you would think there would be. Most of these bars were small local pubs where people had built their business over years. The whole bar business in Taichung has been hurting for the two years we have been in this recession, and so, most of the small owners have already used up what savings they had. The Refuge, being out in the countryside has escaped scrutiny as have any place not in the city proper. The Refuge, emerge in Donghai, and Sound on Henan road are the only places to see bands at this time as 89l has been closed due to unapproved changes made to the building after construction.

I’ve never liked this either. Nor do I like the way tons of people congregate to smoke in the lobby or whatever area. I’ve always been nervous in there.

The refuge is very safe from fire. It is an outside club.

The refuge is very safe from fire. It is an outside club.[/quote]
The Refuge is not an ‘outside’ club. It is no more or less safe than the other places were. Also, Sound and Emerge are both now closed also. So NO LIVE MUSIC IN TAICHUNG!

The Refuge is not an ‘outside’ club. It is no more or less safe than the other places were. Also, Sound and Emerge are both now closed also. So NO LIVE MUSIC IN TAICHUNG![/quote]
The refuge is not technically in Taichung.