How would you have responded?

This was a first for me.

How would you respond if someone asked you why your hair isn’t yellow if you’re “meiguoren”?

(Started out writing how this came up with a Taiwanese person recently but I decided it was too wordy. Just trying to come up with a few responses to use in the future.)

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]This was a first for me.

How would you respond if someone asked you why your hair isn’t yellow if you’re “meiguoren”?

(Started out writing how this came up with a Taiwanese person recently but I decided it was too wordy. Just trying to come up with a few responses to use in the future.)[/quote]

You haven’t BEEN overseas , have you?" :wink:

That really is a stupid comment when they can see films, books and tv from overseas with all varieties of hair color.

Maybe it was a bad pick up line or something sad like that.

Because on of my ancestors was Chinese :laughing: :smiling_imp:

Laugh,

Ask them if they need an English teacher.

Charge them double, just because the’re so naffin’ stupid.

Local: "Why you hair no yellow if you’re “meiguoren”?

Foreigner: “I like you. Give me $5 and rub my belly for very much good lucky for you!” :smiley:

:s there’s a possibility…she/he wanted to start a convo with you but didn’t know where to start with…most people outside of Taipei city are still a bit shy when they run into some foreigners…maybe he/she was thinking" gosh! what kind of stupid question i just asked!" right after he/she said that~ :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a good observation. And I think you very well may be right…however…Taiwanese have a gift for overstating the obvious and making incredibly innane comments, in my experience that is.

Hey, and welcome to Forumosa Neptune!

jds
welcome squad

:slight_smile:

“None of us have natural yellow hair. We dye it, just like you Taiwanese.”

"Why don’t you have 鳳眼 feng4yan3 if you’re “華人 hua2ren2”? :loco:

Reminds me of the time a local yokel in 廣西 Guang3xi1 asked me which province I was from… I asked him why he thought I was Chinese, and told him I was American. He stammered “B-b-but Americans are tall, and blonde, and don’t speak Chinese!” :noway:

:laughing:

I don’t think so. She kept telling my kid to tell me, I heard her repeat herself at least three times because he had this confused look on his face. I could understand part of what she was saying but it was such an odd thing to hear I must have had this “Duh?” look myself.

The only snappy comeback I could think of was, “Don’t you watch HBO?” :blush:

I’ve had enough trouble trying to explain to people that white != American, let alone getting into stupidity like hair color.

Because not all Americans have yellow hair. It’s probably a good idea if you spend some time learning about these things. (Proceed to explain more if I sense the person is just genuinely ignorant. Hey, someone back in North Carolina once asked me if the sun rose and set the same way it did in the US. I was shocked but I could tell she meant no harm but just really…didn’t know better, so we talked.)

If she was just mean, then, heck, f—k off, lady. Stop embarrassing your son.

“YELLOW HAIR?” Woohaaaa! Man you are watching to many cartoons! :smiling_imp:

It’s just like how even educated Taiwanese can’t fathom the notion that there are actually white people in this world (and probably some in Taiwan, too) who can’t speak English …

Because it rains a lot!

Tell them that the water here turns your hair green…

I’d tell them that I do have yellow hair but it’s in a special place, and they aren’t privy to see it :blush:

that reminds me of this blonde girl in my class who teachers thought was soo quiet cause she was shy. She wasn’t shy, its cause she was from Romania, so didn’t speak english. She laughz about it now cause she learnd da language, but still pretty amusing to think about.

I would have said “Drop your panties, Sir William, I cannot wait 'til lunchtime!”

Which is the quality of response such a stupid question deserves.