How would you say "Quit barking at me!"

As in some asshole wants your attention in China. Bie fan wo is too light though I have used it to good effect in restaurants when the drunk beside me starts barking Laowai Laowai. Also my facial expressions leave no doubt my emotional state.

I’ve also tried Nandao ni jiao wo? Which doesn’t seem as effective.

So how can I, in a rude way, tell people to stop barking at me?

[quote=“Mucha Man”]As in some asshole wants your attention in China. Bie fan wo is too light though I have used it to good effect in restaurants when the drunk beside me starts barking Laowai Laowai. Also my facial expressions leave no doubt my emotional state.

I’ve also tried Nandao ni jiao wo? Which doesn’t seem as effective.

So how can I, in a rude way, tell people to stop barking at me?[/quote]

Don’t go with ‘bark’ for starters. Bu2 yao4 dui4 wo3 jiao4 is too literal of a translation, and so it just doesn’t work.

If you want to be rude back, start with shut up instead: Bi4 zui3! (Dragonbabe says optionally add Ni3 jiao4 pi4 a! in front.)

Even ruder is bi4shang4 ni3de gou3zui3, but I don’t recommend this, as you could end up in a fight.

For really really rude:

1. Tāmāde bì zuǐ hǎo ma? 他媽的閉嘴好嗎?
  2. Bì shàng nǐ de chòu zuǐ. 閉上你的臭嘴。
  3. Nǐ gěi wǒ bì shàng nǐ zhè làn zuǐ. 你給我閉上你這爛嘴。

Bu yao fang pi (stop farting!)

These are great, and to tell the truth I am spoiling for a fight these days. Been on the road far too many months and had far too many people try to kill me with their cars, motorcycles, and ignorence. :laughing:

Deep breath, Mucha Man. Hang in there. I’ve been here less than a month now, and I’m a pretty non-violent type, but it’s starting to get to me already. So, well, if you do have a go at some lemming, could you get in a slug for me, too? :smiley:

And you with kids too, you must be going out of your mind at times.

Will definitely throw a left hook in there for you.

STFU! in English at the top of your lungs then bare your teeth and do the eye thing that the maori’s do. that would be better than anything you could say to them in chinese.

你看什麼看? 走開酒鬼!

That’s not a bad choice. :smiley:

Mucha Man is in China, no? From the sound of things, either that, or in rural Taiwan. I had a meeting with a group of executives in a swanky Shanghai hotel tonight. Classy people. Excused myself to hit the restroom and, on the way back to our conference room, a bunch of drunk locals were exiting their banquet room. As I passed by them, some wignut looks at me and says, very matter of fact: “Laowai!” I had to laugh. Yes, I am indeed a hairy barbarian sir.

I travel so much now that a Taiwaner would have to be especially obnoxious to get me to notice.

I think doing something slightly aggressive and really fun, like locking eyes with the dipshit and walking over to him until you’re a inch away from his nose, and then doing a big fart sound “pppppffffffffrrrrruuuuppppp!” might give you a few laughs and diffuse the situation.

Well, my seven year old would choose the farting option hands down! Any excuse to pass gass in public!

:bravo: Now, how do you say that in Chinese? With the comical inflection to make them look extra ridiculous!?

先生,我竟確是個該死的洋鬼子.

Xiānshēng, wǒ jìng què shìgè gāisǐ de yángguǐzi.

Sir, I am indeed a damned foreign devil.

先生,我竟確是個毛茸茸的洋鬼子.

Xiānshēng, wǒ jìng què shìgè máoróngrōng de yángguǐzi.

Sir, I am indeed a hairy foreign devil.

So there I am on the Changchun Light rail thinking I should use JFP’s line on the jiugui beside me, only I hesitate as the train is so crowded he really cannot zoukai at all.

just as I am wondering whether I should risk it he reaches over with his plastic rail pass and scrapes it all the way up my forearm, from the wrist to the elbow. then he smiles and does the same to his arm suggesting that yes indeed, you sir are a hairy devil. Of course he has a big stupid sloppy drunk smile as he does this.

I just flipping loose it as about 15 minutes earlier a teenage girl had walked up to me with her glasses around her mouth and muttered “Ni hao ni hao ni hao”. I could only swear “what the fuck” in English. Then I turn and bark at the jiugui “don’t touch me!” in Chinese. Though to add jiugui but I wasn’t in the mood for playing.

Man they are just coming out of the woodwork this trip.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]So there I am on the Changchun Light rail thinking I should use JFP’s line on the jiugui beside me, only I hesitate as the train is so crowded he really cannot zoukai at all.

just as I am wondering whether I should risk it he reaches over with his plastic rail pass and scrapes it all the way up my forearm, from the wrist to the elbow. then he smiles and does the same to his arm suggesting that yes indeed, you sir are a hairy devil. Of course he has a big stupid sloppy drunk smile as he does this.

I just flipping loose it as about 15 minutes earlier a teenage girl had walked up to me with her glasses around her mouth and muttered “Ni hao ni hao ni hao”. I could only swear “what the fuck” in English. Then I turn and bark at the jiugui “don’t touch me!” in Chinese. Though to add jiugui but I wasn’t in the mood for playing.

Man they are just coming out of the woodwork this trip.[/quote]
:roflmao: Welcome to Planet China! Cheers, mate. You have no idea how much you brightened my day. :thumbsup:

Sounds as if she was just being friendly. You should have bought her an expresso and a hot burrito!!! :laughing:

Sounds as if she was just being friendly. You should have bought her an expresso and a hot burrito!!! :laughing:[/quote]

I didn’t say wtf to her. In any case she was showing off for her friends, not being friendly.

In any case, here n Dongbei you would buy her a harbin beer and a hotpot. :laughing:

Sounds as if she was just being friendly. You should have bought her an expresso and a hot burrito!!! :laughing:[/quote]

I didn’t say wtf to her. In any case she was showing off for her friends, not being friendly.

In any case, here n Dongbei you would buy her a harbin beer and a hotpot. :laughing:[/quote]
What’s with the lower case Harbin Beer? You hate beer? You hate Harbin? Harbin Beer? China? :slight_smile:

Did a quick google for the brew and I came across this little gem on Wikitravel. They mention an International Beer Festival being held annually in late summer.
A whole public square is cordoned off and there are stages that host music concerts, dance contests. Most of the beer drunk is the local Harbin brew, but there is a tent for international beers. In the summer of 2005 a number of the foreigners in the city assembled a “drinking team” and ended up getting in a drunken brawl with some locals and got hauled away by the police. :laughing: Sounds like fun.

In any case, here n Dongbei you would buy her a harbin beer and a hotpot. :laughing:[/quote]
What’s with the lower case Harbin Beer? You hate beer? You hate Harbin? Harbin Beer? China? :slight_smile:

Did a quick google for the brew and I came across this little gem on Wikitravel. They mention an International Beer Festival being held annually in late summer.
A whole public square is cordoned off and there are stages that host music concerts, dance contests. Most of the beer drunk is the local Harbin brew, but there is a tent for international beers. In the summer of 2005 a number of the foreigners in the city assembled a “drinking team” and ended up getting in a drunken brawl with some locals and got hauled away by the police. :laughing: Sounds like fun.[/quote]

Indeed. I am hoping attend. Lord knows at this point I wouldn’t mind brawling with some locals. :laughing: