How would you translate 台灣朝日文化工作室?

It’s the cháorì that I’m undecided on - should I just pinyinise it and leave it at that?

I may be wrong but I think the 朝 refers to Korea (朝鮮 is the old Chinese for Korea and the current word for North Korea). Which means you got the Taiwan-Korea-Japan Cultural Studio or some such monstrosity.

I hadn’t thought of that. Not sure whether this organisation has anything to do with Korea or Japan, but it might have. It might also be translated as “sunrise” if it is just about Taiwan.

Wait, I didn’t realise that 朝 could also be zhāo “morning sun”. That seems to make sense in the context, as I think a Korean-Japanese connection unlikely. Hmm.

In order of preference (mine, of course):

1. Morning Sun Cultural Workshop (Taiwan)
  2. Taiwan Zhaori Cultural Workshop
  3. Taiwan Morning Sun Cultural Workshop

I think zhāorì (morning sun) makes more sense than cháo rì (to face the sun).

EDIT: I see you’ve already caught on to zhao and “morning sun”. “Sunrise” is a better translation for a company name rather than the more clunky “morning sun” that I suggested.

Thanks, sjcma. I’ll go with your suggestion.

How about translating it as Asahi? I recognized 朝日 as the brand name of everyone’s favorite mid-level Japanese brew and googling 朝日 turns up a bunch of Japanese things (either the Asahi the brewer or Asahi the newspaper) or some Taiwanese hotsprings, which are probably aiming for a Japanese feel.

[quote=“alidarbac”]How about translating it as Asahi? I recognized 朝日 as the brand name of everyone’s favorite mid-level Japanese brew[/quote] :laughing: That was my first thought too. One-track minds, eh? This workshop is publishing some very Taiwan-centric literature, so I don’t think the Japanese connection is intentional. Ah well, Morning Sun is close enough for government work. Thanks!

台灣 Taiwan
朝 is moving toward
日文 Japanese langauge
化 -ified; -ized
工作室 workshops

:smiley:

[quote=“Chris”]台灣 Taiwan
朝 is moving toward
日文 Japanese langauge
化 -ified; -ized
工作室 workshops[/quote]Ah! So desu. :bow:

Let me guess: this organization has no website.

I’d suggest trying to find out what the organization actually does, since this title is so inscrutable.

damn i rilly liked my explanation too.

sunrise-books.com.tw/viewitem2.asp?sn=3289

I guess this is the client and, ah, Jau Ryh Culture, is their name?

[quote=“the bear”]http://www.sunrise-books.com.tw/viewitem2.asp?sn=3289[/quote]It could be the same, although the only other bit of info I have here suggests that they’re a Tainan company, which this one isn’t. But they do (or did, they may well be defunct by now) produce books. Ach well, doesn’t need to be 100% accurate. Thanks!

Do you know their address? Are they located in Taipei? You could use Google Street View to get a look at the sign outside their office. I’ve had a few successes using this method to find the official English names of organizations.