How's your Investment Portfolio 2023 YTD performance?

Title - curious to see how others are doing, and what kind of allocations Forumosa members have.

Currently invested on 2 index fund ETFs: “Vanguard FTSE-All World” and “Vanguard Global Aggregate Bonds” 80/20 allocation.

Current YTD: +0,90% ; it’s not much, but at least it’s green.

1 Like

About 9%, big chunk of that is MSFT recovery.

1 Like

Up 7% YTD. Invested in S&P 500.

4 Likes

Hah we use the same app. I’m up 8.29% YTD. Mostly due to Meta’s recovery. I’ve sold all my Meta positions last week.

4 Likes

The first few weeks of the year were good, but unfortunately I only caught the last few days of that before the drop and a lot of stocks have been retracing back to that point ever since.

What do people think of the big banks? They are down so much, having been dragged down by the problems in regional banks… but surely the Bank of America and JP Morgans of the world will rise from this point and show healthy gains by year end??

What’s your asset allocation? 100% S&P 500 equity?

To each their own, but I find individual stock picking too cumbersome and risky.

If you are confident in the banking sector, I’d suggest some kind of banking / financial sector related ETF. Under this scenario, the stock allocation would be automatically managed for you, ‘protecting’ you from potential banking fails.

Yes, but stocks only make up about 10% of my portfolio.

Got lucky with some AMD. Sold this week. Now 25% in cash.

Markets are fickle, investors more jittery. I was up probably 20% yesterday and then Airbnb dropped 10% on a softer outlook for Q2 even though Q1 was a beat and they are consistently profitable now.

To me it’s not any better than crypto with that kind of chicanery from big asset managers and traders.

When I checked many tourism stocks it’s a similar situation , expedia, bookingdotcom which again seems stupid given large parts of the world are expected to have a bumper tourist season.

I’m going to start investing in index funds/ etfs/sectoral funds now also but mostly I’m going to put my cash on deposit for a guaranteed 3.8% annual return (USD).

I checked JPM it’s been such a solid stock for decades. Down so much? It’s not that far off it’s all time highs if you zoom out.

Airbnb has had a great couple of days, hasn’t it?

JPM seems to be down around 30% since Nov 21
Bank of America down around 60% since early 22.

If they clawed back half of these drops by year end, that would be amazing… I’m not saying they will, I’m asking because I don’t know! I get nervous investing in stocks that are up so much, like Nvidia etc. I’m not sure my strategy works, though….

Check what happened to AIRBNB in after-hours trading! It’s ridiculous.

127.07 USD +6.22 (5.15%)past 5 days

Closed: May 9, 7:59 PM EDT • Disclaimer

After hours 111.91 −15.16 (11.93%)

I think Uber is in a good place with two strong pillars for its business. It’s expected to have first profitable qtr this year I beleived. But hey, markets.

Does anyone experience with 2x/3x leveraged securities at a short/medium term? Thinking of getting into a leveraged NASDAQ ETF

The traditional wisdom is that you shouldn’t hold leveraged ETFs because of volatility decay. They’re for making short-term (like, intraday) bets with. If you just want a leveraged position, buy on margin (which is what I do, but it’s expensive lately) or use LEAP options.

Meanwhile I’m up 9.13% this year, with a 2x leveraged portfolio. That is … not great. Partly my returns are dragged down by all the interest I’m paying, and partly I have a lot of small-cap value (e.g. VIOV) which usually do well but have underperformed this year. Interest rates being what they are, I’m thinking about deleveraging for a while.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! What’s the interest rate you’re paying for the margin loans? which broker are you using?

IB, pro account. I dunno what my blended rate works out to exactly but it’s gonna be north of 6% right now: Margin Rates and Financing | Interactive Brokers LLC

1 Like

Baltic Stocks (25% of investment) 8% in Euro/NT$ or YEN about 15% return, other 75% mix of Taiwan and USA stocks avg 5.1% increase