HP Actress Learns Real Prob Ain’t Sorcery; It’s Islam

Bereal -
No…its a fact of life for those inclined to be followers of Mohammad.
I suggest you do some study on female genital mutilation and “honor killing” and get back to us.

This situation is, very unfortunately, far from being isolated or uncommon.[/quote]

Yup…then muslems are pretty strick alright. I would not want to live there.Seriously…we could make a list of countries that violate human rights . This has been going on for fucin centuries. the states included but my point is that is taking away from the big piture. why now? seems to me there is a little misdirection going on.[/quote]
What’s the big picture? A prominent actor in one of the biggest movie franchises of all time is threatened with death by her father and her brother and you think its “misdirection?”
Dozens of women in the UK alone are murdered in this way every year. Around 5,000 around the world, according to the UN. Where’s the “misdirection?” What are you talking about?[/quote]

LOL. alot bigger things going on in this world these days ,Sandman. Love ya man[/quote]
So let’s just ignore honour killings. Is that what you’re saying? I honestly have NO idea what you are on about. Could you be any LESS clear? :unamused:
You shouldn’t love me in your condition, either. I’m one of them reptile fellows.[/quote]

ur a human being…why shouldn’t I I love ya. I little misinfrmed but still a human being. later.

Much, much later. No point in reading your posts if you’re not going to, you know, actually, like SAY anything. :unamused:

Sharia takes one step forward in UK:

thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ … trument.do

The whole of western Europe is screwed.

In the US, Louisiana has banned Sharia Law and Oklahoma appears to be the next to ban it.
florida.tenthamendmentcenter.com … -in-court/

I wish Canada and European countries would follow suit. I hope they do.

Bereal, please do a google news search for “honor killings”. You will find there have been loads of them, and yes Tommy 525, even in the US of A.

[quote=“JFP”]Sharia takes one step forward in UK:

The whole of western Europe is screwed.[/quote]

Oh god, please don’t say that. Do you really think it’s true?
It’s painful to think of all those glorious years of European culture down the drain. Why don’t you (well, not YOU, but Europeans in general) FIGHT?

I

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote=“JFP”]Sharia takes one step forward in UK:

It’s painful to think of all those glorious years of European culture down the drain. Why don’t you (well, not YOU, but Europeans in general) FIGHT?

I[/quote]

Maybe because they want to be tolerant at all cost, even tolerant towards those who are not tolerant at all. They blind themselves with ideals of tolerance, freedom and human rights, and people who actually despise these values take advantage of this open society and impose their own retrograde values.

In Western countries, the law of the land remains supreme over Sharia Law, and there is no danger of this no longer being the case.

[quote=“JFP”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote=“JFP”]Sharia takes one step forward in UK:

I[/quote]

Maybe because they want to be tolerant at all cost, even tolerant towards those who are not tolerant at all. They blind themselves with ideals of tolerance, freedom and human rights, and people who actually despise these values take advantage of this open society and impose their own retrograde values.[/quote]

Sounds like Canada. :doh: We just don’t have the numbers of Islamists yet to make a significant change…yet.

And Chris, I’m sorry but you are mistaken. I’m not up on Sharia Law in England but I’m aware that it has made some inroads at least, and people fight over it.

[quote=“urodacus”]I wish there was a law mandating compulsory execution for all male members of families that plot, plan, or condone honour killings.

There is no honour in an honour killing, only hubris, intolerance, and a malevolent mediaeval mindset.[/quote]

Agreed. It’s a complete misnomer. What should ‘honour killings’ be called, then? “Dishonour killings?” But they’re not really ‘killings’, they’re murders, pure and simple. Also, they’re not really about “honour” or “dishonour”, but “what the community thinks.” So should we call them “Face murders” or “Keep-up-with-the-Joneses murders”?

Anyone have a better term?

[quote=“ice raven”][quote=“urodacus”]I wish there was a law mandating compulsory execution for all male members of families that plot, plan, or condone honour killings.

There is no honour in an honour killing, only hubris, intolerance, and a malevolent mediaeval mindset.[/quote]

Agreed. It’s a complete misnomer. What should ‘honour killings’ be called, then? “Dishonour killings?” But they’re not really ‘killings’, they’re murders, pure and simple. Also, they’re not really about “honour” or “dishonour”, but “what the community thinks.” So should we call them “Face murders” or “Keep-up-with-the-Joneses murders”?

Anyone have a better term?[/quote]
The great Bard said, what’s in a name?? That which we call honour killings, by any other name would be just as criminal.

Because “honour killing” sounds good, and it shouldn’t. It’s all about the connotations. It sounds honourable, and it isn’t. To me, “honour killing” sounds like a revenge killing, ie someone killed my father so I killed him. Someone raped my wife/girl/child so I ripped his nuts off and let him bleed to death. Something which, though legally criminal, is understandable and almost respectable on a basic, primitive level.

how much of this is related to the fact that the West has advanced so much in the last fifty years that other places who believe in all this hooey and apple sauce now look like a bunch of 15th Century heathens?

I always get flamed for saying this, but until the moderate Muslims do more to quell their fucked up brothers this isn’t going to change, they ain’t gonna listen to the Infidels, so the change needs to come from within.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]how much of this is related to the fact that the West has advanced so much in the last fifty years that other places who believe in all this hooey and apple sauce now look like a bunch of 15th Century heathens?

I always get flamed for saying this, but until the moderate Muslims do more to quell their fucked up brothers this isn’t going to change, they ain’t gonna listen to the Infidels, so the change needs to come from within.[/quote]
quell how?? By killing them?? :loco: They are just as shocked as us… and don’t even get me started on the westerners being advanced crap. There are just as many demons there as here or any place else. The fight lies with the good people.

[quote=“divea”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]how much of this is related to the fact that the West has advanced so much in the last fifty years that other places who believe in all this hooey and apple sauce now look like a bunch of 15th Century heathens?

I always get flamed for saying this, but until the moderate Muslims do more to quell their fucked up brothers this isn’t going to change, they ain’t gonna listen to the Infidels, so the change needs to come from within.[/quote]
quell how?? By killing them?? :loco: They are just as shocked as us… and don’t even get me started on the westerners being advanced crap. There are just as many demons there as here or any place else. The fight lies with the good people.[/quote]Careful divea, you’re talking sense. That won’t get you far with the “they’ll like us when we win” claque.

Bullshit with the moral equivalency argument. Did you see Mother Theresa or the Pope issue fatwas against authors and cartoonists. Do you see minority Christian populations engaging in family honour killings? Making women second class citizens and mutilating their body parts?

In my opinion, moderate Islam has not been nearly vocal enough in condeming their bretheren during the past few decades. Furthermore, is there such a thing as moderate Islam? I remain unconvinced for the most part. The true nature of Islam can be seen in the Sira of Muhammad, which has come to define Islam itself. Muhammad’s actions—whether its marrying a 9-year-old or taking many women as concubines —means that there can be no equality for women under Shari’a.

Perhaps moderate Islam is best represented in Ankara and Istanbul amongst Kemalists (Ataturk) in opposition in Turkey, but not in most other places often labelled as moderate.

I’m always thoroughly entertained when Malaysia or Indonesia are called moderate. Ever hear former Malaysia PM Matahir’s comments on Jews? Ever travelled to Shari’a states in Malaysia? Moderate my ass!!! See moderate countries removing statues to appease fanatical groups or allowing violent attacks on prosyletizing Christians?

Western governments must begin to empower genuine moderates, but it’s always going to be a really hard to find them. True moderates are in a very small minority IMHO. Even so-called moderate Muslim organizations in Western countries are often fronts for more extreme organizations. You can put lipstick on a pig, but in the end, it’s still a pig, right?

Two recent new stories from moderate Indonesia and one that basically mentions that national leaders don’t like to criticize Islam because it loses them votes.

[quote] A banner with a picture of a young, bespectacled Christian man is draped in front of a mosque, a fiery noose around his neck and the words, “This man deserves the death penalty!”

Churches are shut down. And an Islamic youth militia held its first day of training.

Though the events all occurred less than nine miles (15 kilometers) from Jakarta, making headlines in newspapers and dominating chats on social networking sites such as Facebook, they’ve sparked little public debate in the halls of power.

“I really see this as a threat to democracy,” said Arbi Sanit, a political analyst, noting leaders never like to say anything that can be perceived as “un-Islamic,” because they depend heavily on the support of Muslim parties in parliament.

“Being popular is more important to them than punishing those who are clearly breaking the law,” Sanit said.

Indonesia has a long history of religious tolerance, though a small extremist fringe has become more vocal in recent years.

Members of the Islamic Defenders Front, or FPI, have been known to smash bars, attack transvestites and go after minority sects with bamboo clubs and stones.

Now, they are targeting Christians in the fast-growing industrial city of Bekasi.
thejakartaglobe.com/home/ind … ans/384083
[/quote]

[quote]
The Bekasi municipal authorities have set Friday as the day they will tear down an imposing statue of three women in a private residential complex, which has been the target of hard-line Islamic groups who believe the statue is neither in line with the religion’s values nor representative of West Java.

“The Bekasi mayor [Mochtar Mohammad] and I met with representatives of Islamic organizations. We reached an agreement that on June 18, the ‘Tiga Mojang’ statue must be taken down,” Bekasi Police Chief Sr. Comr. Imam Haryanto said on Sunday.

The 17-meter-tall “Tiga Mojang” (“Three Girls”) statue, by Bali-born Nyoman Nuarta, based out of Bandung, depicts three Sundanese women in traditional attire. The three women appear to be joined together by a sarong. It is also known as the welcome statue of the Harapan Indah residential complex in Bekasi, which falls under the jurisdiction of West Java province.

“We have sent off a third warning letter to the complex’s developers to take down the statue,” Imam said. “They have not done anything about it. We’ve given them until June 18 to do this. Otherwise, the administration will tear it down that day.”

The copper-and-brass statue took a year and at least 50 people to build, and cost the developers Rp 2.4 billion ($260,000).

After pointed objections by hard-line groups, which included protesters spray-painting the statue and covering it with a white sheet, Mochtar officially ordered the complex’s developer, PT Hasanah Damai Putra, to take it down.

“The mayor’s decision to take down the statue was made so that it does not trigger conflicts between communities in Bekasi,” Imam said. “We want to keep the peace here. We are worried that if [the developers] do not take down the statue, masses [of protesters] will come again.

“The mayor wants the statue to be replaced by one that is representative of Bekasi,” he added. “But we haven’t decided yet on what that would be.”

In mid-May, more than 1,000 members of hard-line Islamic organizations rallied outside the Bekasi administration office to protest against the statue.

The demonstrators were drawn from more than 60 organizations, including the Islamic Defenders Front (FPI), the Bekasi Front Against Apostates, the Islamic Missionary Council (DDI) and the Islamic Ummah Forum.

FPI Bekasi branch head Murhali Barda claimed that the statue, besides lacking a building permit, was un-Islamic.

Bekasi administration spokesman Endang Suharyadi previously said the developers did not have the requisite permit to put up the statue.

“It must come down,” he said. “If after the deadline they still don’t demolish it, the administration will
thejakartaglobe.com/city/bek … ace/380366[/quote]

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“divea”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]how much of this is related to the fact that the West has advanced so much in the last fifty years that other places who believe in all this hooey and apple sauce now look like a bunch of 15th Century heathens?

quell how?? By killing them?? :loco: They are just as shocked as us… and don’t even get me started on the westerners being advanced crap. There are just as many demons there as here or any place else. The fight lies with the good people.[/quote]Careful divea, you’re talking sense. That won’t get you far with the “they’ll like us when we win” claque.[/quote]

here comes the flaming…misrepresentation of words has already begun, and by a Mod of this sub-forum no less.

there are entire nations (Afghanistan, and Saudi Arabia for example) that tacitly agree with or totally support this nonsense.

by ‘quell them’ I did not say kill them, although I am sure a life would be taken for much less heinous a crime under Sharia law, but simply create an environment where this kind of behavior is no longer tolerated, but perhaps that is too much, perhaps this extreme interpretation of the Koran has spun out of control?

So what does that mean? not much really if it is practiced in a country where the laws allow it, but when it is brought to a land who’s laws are based on freedom and equality, then it becomes a problem. safe to say it is a huge problem, so who is equipped to fix it?

perhaps we just do nothing?

since I am such an idiot and everyone else here is so sensible, perhaps you can offer suggestions on how to deal with this menace, and yes it is a menace.

Moderate muslims aren’t going to do anything, imo, because they are scared, just like we are. For the same reason we don’t publish cartoons of Mohammad, because they don’t want to be the target of a Fatwa, or have the Extremist muslims come out with public statements basically calling for their death, as in the case of the South Park cartoonists.
In fact, as things get worse, I think we can expect moderate muslims to cave into the demands of the extremists, and become tools of the extremists, out of fear for their own safety and the safety of their families.
Is there a solution? I honestly don’t know.

See, right there, your argument is already completely off the rails.

Last I checked, Afghanis couldn’t agree on much at all, let alone whether or not it was a good idea to adopt the cultural practices of a sub-set of one of the country’s constituent peoples. And since they’ve fought a number of long-running civil wars, in part, over such issues… well, your argument for that ‘entire nation’ is pretty ridiculous. As for the Saudis, I’ve a number of Saudi friends from a ways back, and they all refer to the conservatives that have your knickers in a knot as “those assholes”. If a large, invidious ‘morality police’ force is required to enforce adherence to a code of conduct, there’s a pretty good chance the ‘entire nation’ does not ‘tacitly agree with or totally support this nonsense’.

You’re spouting hyperbole. Whatever else maybe true, it’s safe to say that it won’t be Chicken Little that sees us through.

Chewy corns, the pope did not issue fatwas. You are right. But do you know how many atrocities are committed in the name of the church each year?? Do you, have any frickin idea, of how missionaries ACTUALLY convert people all over the world??? News Flash: it’s not by giving them fliers or pamphlets.

In colonial times (In India), the church and state tied up, and so Christians were educated (in English) and others were denied education, yes yes, basic human right and all. People were tortured into conversion, people were given class status if they accepted Christian morality, those who resisted, were enslaved, beaten, killed, tortured, sent to mines…forget all that in the past, from what I know, the Catholic church has been involved in child abuse and in a major cover up, from the pope downwards. I only bring this up, coz you mentioned a comparison.

About women being mistreated, google, ‘polygamy compounds’ and you will see, how in the precious west and N. America, women are kept imprisoned, girls married at the age of 6. one guru having 90 kids and well denial of any education that makes them think. Girls are beaten and killed if they try to escape.

[quote]by ‘quell them’ I did not say kill them, although I am sure a life would be taken for much less heinous a crime under Sharia law, but simply create an environment where this kind of behavior is no longer tolerated, but perhaps that is too much, perhaps this extreme interpretation of the Koran has spun out of control?
[/quote]

DD, FYI, the interpretation of the Koran by the extremists IS the correct one. The moderate muslims, choose to ignore most of the medieval tenets coz they realize, that was then, and life’s and times have changed and they no longer live as warring tribes in a desolate desert, but then they choose to follow, the respectful and loving tenets of the religion, coz it appeals to them!

You aren’t serious about using this as a comparison are you? In North America, such compounds are very, very rare and usually are closed by law enforcement albeit sometimes with tragic circumstances. However, I would argue that women being mistreated is the norm in Islamic countries. When women can’t drive (I wonder what Jaboney’s Saudi friends think about that), get threatened with stoning for appearing in magazines (Indonesia), are forced to wear black hijabs or burkhas in stifling heat (most countries in Middle East), are forced to have their genitals mutilated (African Muslim countries)and allow men to have multiple wives with little protection for the wife (Malaysia), I’d say the cases of abuse are more the norm than isolated.

And sure, parts of the Catholic church have a lot to answer for with the recent sex scandals. There is a huge difference though. Most Catholics are quite vocal in their disgust and have the guts to vocalize their disgust. In most Muslim countries, as referenced in the article above, most politicians are too reliant on votes to condemn such actions, and most so-called moderates remain silent as to not rile up the large sections of people that aren’t moderates.