[HRM] help straighten me out

A quick question about household registration. And this probably a stupid one so bear with me here… but what if the parents didn’t want to sign off on their daughter’s marriage and they refused to sign the change on their household registration? Do they actually have to sign the document?

Ok now I know that I’m assuming how the process here works. What is the actual process here? Is household registration a way of tracking ‘who belongs to whom’ or is it strictly a ‘who lives where’? Or maybe it is both. If someone could straight me out here I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance
Hans

From your posting it appears that your Taiwanese wife (or “intended wife”) is still living with her parents . . . . . . and hence the household registration is together with them.

Well . . . . . this sounds like a stupid question, but . . . . . is your “intended wife” over 20 years old? If so, then she is an adult and can do what she wants . . . . . . . the parents don’t have to sign anything under such circumstances . . . . . after you and she get married, your name will be entered in the “remarks” column and noted as her husband (which automatically makes you the parents’ son-in-law . . . . . . )

Later if you rent or buy a house, you may want to move your wife’s household registration to that address. Although be advised that some landlords (in the case of a rental arrangement) do not like this . . . . . so you need to clarify it in advance . . . . . . .

Thanks Richard.

But don’t you need your spouse’s family, their household registration book and their chops to complete the registration? (Unless your wife has her own household book). I remember when we went down we had my father-in-law and both his and my mother-in-law’s chops. Were we just being over-prepared?

Brian

Sir Donald is correct. I did some further checking into this and found that indeed the parents are involved in the process in just that they need to get their household registration books ‘updated’. That means all going down there and getting it all done together.

However, if my soon-to-be partner already has moved her household registration from her parents home to elsewhere then they are not involved in the process.
Thanks for the info!

Hans

Now onto the CCRD!!

According to the general trend of inquiry in this thread . . . . . a key issue is the consideration of whether the parents can withhold their consent to the over 20 year old daughter in marrying the husband of her choice . . . . . . and hence “invalidate” or “fail to validate” the actions of the daughter in attempting to register her marriage at the Household Registration Office.

And I fully believe the answer is: No.

Later if you rent or buy a house, you may want to move your wife’s household registration to that address. Although be advised that some landlords (in the case of a rental arrangement) do not like this . . . . . so you need to clarify it in advance . . . . . . .[/quote]

They may not like it but you are legally required to do so…