HSBC now treating all foreigners as non-residents? Why?

Government must have run out of money again.

I am married and here on a JFRV. I’m still waiting for HSBC to get back to me. They keep sending me emails that if I don’t want to be taxed as a non-resident I just need to call one of their customer service representatives who will be happy to help. I keep replying that I already called, and am waiting for a real response!

I am married and here on a JFRV. I’m still waiting for HSBC to get back to me. They keep sending me emails that if I don’t want to be taxed as a non-resident I just need to call one of their customer service representatives who will be happy to help. I keep replying that I already called, and am waiting for a real response![/quote]

Regardless of the tax law, move from HSBC. Even a local bank is better.

As for the tax rule, I’m surprised that the EU & US Chambers have not said anything. Even in the bad old days of CSB, the MOF used to listen and change grossly unfair tax laws, (well, for the most part anyway).

This is how I read the change, too.

Here is a link to an announcement from the Ministry of Finance, and it clearly points out that as of Aug 13, the tax policy has changed.

ntat.gov.tw/county/ntat_ch/d … _Elist.pdf

This is how I read the change, too.

Here is a link to an announcement from the Ministry of Finance, and it clearly points out that as of Aug 13, the tax policy has changed.

ntat.gov.tw/county/ntat_ch/d … _Elist.pdf[/quote]

That seems to state quite categorically that foreigners are all now subject to a 20% withholding tax for the first six months of every year. So anyone who hasn’t yet left for China due to rather high income tax levels now has now received the final push.

Good bloody riddance to them. Bloody foreigners coming here stealing our jobs taking our wimmen etc. That’ll teach them.

Taiwan, eh? Anything’s possible! :roflmao:

I dunno aboout you guys, but I just signed a little document at work so that they will deduce 6% instead of 20%.

Ask your Personnel Office to see if you can do this too. For me it means a bit extra every month. If you have extra earnings aside from your salary, you will probably have to pay a bit when you present your tax records at teh Tax Office, but I usually get a refund, so no biggie in my case.

[quote=“Icon”]I dunno aboout you guys, but I just signed a little document at work so that they will deduce 6% instead of 20%.

Ask your Personnel Office to see if you can do this too. For me it means a bit extra every month. If you have extra earnings aside from your salary, you will probably have to pay a bit when you present your tax records at teh Tax Office, but I usually get a refund, so no biggie in my case.[/quote]
Any further information on this form? What’s it called and who issues it?

It is issued here especifically but I guess/assume other companies/agencies would have something similar, as it seems the logical step.

Any way you could let me see it? You could white out the personal parts.

Should be something along these lines, too:

[quote]To comply with above regulation, effective 01Jan2009, HSBC, the tax withholder, will treat all foreigners as non-resident from the beginning of every year and must withhold 20%** of any interest payment made to a non-resident foreigner.
[color=#0000FF]If you want to change the withholding tax rate to 10% as a resident while you have resided within the territory of the Republic of China for a period of more than 183 days during a taxable year, please contact HSBC Direct service team for assistance. Thank you for your cooperation![/[/color]quote]

Meaning we just have to take an extra step to insure we get taxed as residents -though I dunno how we will prove this to the banks. I’ll go downstairs to the post office and see what they have to say about this. Auch! My piggy bank hurts!

[quote=“Icon”]Should be something along these lines, too:

[quote]To comply with above regulation, effective 01Jan2009, HSBC, the tax withholder, will treat all foreigners as non-resident from the beginning of every year and must withhold 20%** of any interest payment made to a non-resident foreigner.
[color=#0000FF]If you want to change the withholding tax rate to 10% as a resident while you have resided within the territory of the Republic of China for a period of more than 183 days during a taxable year, please contact HSBC Direct service team for assistance. Thank you for your cooperation![/[/color]quote]

Meaning we just have to take an extra step to insure we get taxed as residents -though I dunno how we will prove this to the banks. I’ll go downstairs to the post office and see what they have to say about this. Auch! My piggy bank hurts![/quote][/quote]

Thanks for sharing the useful info guys. I’m interested in taking action now with my employer so I don’t have to pay the 20% right from the start. (And what’s with having to wait until next year to reclaim it?)

Anyway I doubt they even know about this change and even if they did know it would take ages for them to actually get around to telling me about it. :s

Don’t blame the poor guys. Take a look at the link and the website in English. The change came up in August, and it takes quite awhile to trickle down and make sense out of it… And it is still clear as chocolate.

In summary: No evil intent, they just have to cover their derrieres…

We are two weeks away from the implementation of the new tax rules and I’m STILL waiting for my company to inform us about it! :ponder: I wonder if they are hoping that we won’t notice that there is a chunk of our salary that’s disappeared…

They probably aren’t even aware of it, as most companies who employ foreign workers usually are with regard to regulations pertaining to foreign staff.

What I’ve read on this new law so far seems pretty discretionary and places the onus on the employer, since it seems that if the company in question fails to deduct 20% for the first half of the year and the foreign employee ceases to work for them in that period, they (the company) will be liable for the difference.

HSBC are still doing this by the way (20% of their shitty1% interest or whatever it is…). It is discretionary and the vast majority of banks and employers do not withhold the tax these days. I was quite annoyed when they told me about this but at least they told me upfront before I opened an account.

2 Likes