Hsiao Bi-khim interiewed in English

She is one of the best politicians, IMO.

youtube.com/watch?v=zsivQ8u111Y
youtube.com/watch?v=TNmBbG5uh7c
youtube.com/watch?v=TNmBbG5uh7c&feature=dir

Interesting that you should post that now. Bi-khim is in the news today regarding an exchange she had with a CCP official in Japan. Details of the incident were reported in the Taipei Times today. Bi-khim also wrote about it on her blog (in Chinese).

[quote=“walile”]She is one of the best politicians, IMO.

youtube.com/watch?v=zsivQ8u111Y
youtube.com/watch?v=TNmBbG5uh7c
youtube.com/watch?v=TNmBbG5uh7c&feature=dir[/quote]
Thanks for posting that. Too bad her interviewer is such an idiot. :unamused:

yes. That’s what prompted me to find out more about her. I thought the new had less value than this interview.

~snicker~

Even in the midst of her rant, she can’t quite escape some of her subconscious perceptions of Chinese identity:

我乾脆借力使力,轉過來向同桌的外國人宣布,我要把剛剛總領事 Consul General 的一番話翻譯成英文,

… I turned around and announced to the foreigners (waiguo ren) at the same table, that I would translate the Consul General’s words into English.

In other words… she still sees the non-Chinese at the table as being waiguo ren.

When I was working in China, I got to hear something along the lines of what Wu said about everytime I met a new goverment official, regardless of level. Just replace, “DPP”, with, “Taiwan”.

[quote] ~snicker~

Even in the midst of her rant, she can’t quite escape some of her subconscious perceptions of Chinese identity:

我乾脆借力使力,轉過來向同桌的外國人宣布,我要把剛剛總領事 Consul General 的一番話翻譯成英文,

… I turned around and announced to the foreigners (waiguo ren) at the same table, that I would translate the Consul General’s words into English.

In other words… she still sees the non-Chinese at the table as being waiguo ren[/quote]

~snicker~

Shouldn’t that be Hoklo identity?

I was hoping the interviewer was going to shock this Oberlin/Columbia debutante by asking her point blank if she engaged in the rumpy-pumpy with CSB as is rumoured. :laughing:

And then to stoke the fires even more–ask her if she sends care packages to him in jail.

Well, now that the KMT is back into power, she would need to send 10 CARE packages to see if one gets to CSB.

Why do you think she is a debutante?

Why do you think she is a debutante?[/quote]

I am being facetious. It’s just in the interview, she namedrops her schools in the first minute of the interview like an eastern establishment debutante on the social registry…not very grassroots “taike” if you ask me. Perhaps that is why she ain’t in politics any more. Not good at pressing the flesh–unless it’s the former president Chen that is. :laughing: :smiley:

Do you really believe that rumour has any credibility, or do you just like saying it because it’s about sex? (snicker, snicker)

Why do you think she is a debutante?[/quote]

I am being facetious. It’s just in the interview, she namedrops her schools in the first minute of the interview like an eastern establishment debutante on the social registry…not very grassroots “taike” if you ask me. Perhaps that is why she ain’t in politics any more. Not good at pressing the flesh–unless it’s the former president Chen that is. :laughing: :smiley:[/quote]

You don’t want to insult anybody by using “taike”. Be a little bit considerate next times, if you live in Taiwan.

Do you really believe that rumour has any credibility, or do you just like saying it because it’s about sex? (snicker, snicker)[/quote]

Let me reword the question to you–do you think DPP-affiliated publications have no credibility at all?(snicker, snicker). After all, they were the ones who printed this rumour way back in 2000. :ponder: Because of that, I tend to think the rumour may have some truth behind it. :laughing:

I love it how the foreign apologists for the DPP complain about pan-blue ownership of the media, but then stay silent as the Hoklos fight amongst themselves at every opportunity through their proxy publications.

A good journalist asks tough questions. Did this journalist ask tough questions?Did he probe her deeply :laughing: on why she left politics? Did he touch on the scandals and ask if there was some truth to them? No. Did he ask about cronyism within the international affairs office at the DPP (some translators at that office were appointed to high political positions in government with very little exerperience)?

Developing a two-party state requires checks and balances and a strong media. Unfortunately, too many foreigners/political commentators and their blogs prefer to be a mouthpiece for one particular party in Taiwan. Quite sad really as it does Taiwan no favours.

[quote=“Foreign Policy in Focus”]
The latest blow to intra-party relations came in November, when the DPP-affiliated magazine The Journalist broke news of Chen’s alleged affair with his 29-year-old advisor, none other than Hsiao Bi-Khim. As the scandal caused a stir on the island, the magazine revealed that vice-president Lu was the source behind the story. Currently, Lu is suing the magazine, and Chen and Hsiao are doing their best to ignore the issue. [/quote]
fpif.org/commentary/0102taiwan.html

Well I think that the media in Taiwan is incredibly unreliable, and the stuff published by the political parties here even less so. Your faith in their veracity is more than a little naive.

Ooh, and I just “got” your “probe her deeply” joke! Ha ha ha! You mean was she probed in an investigative sense, but it could also mean probe as entering into a bodily orifice! You are GENIUS! I never ever in a million years could have come up with something so clever. It really adds to the discussion, and it makes me grin a little as I mentally conjure up the images of her being “probed”! Beautiful! Have you got any more like that? I hope that wasn’t just a one-off comment. Oops! I did it too! I said “off” which is part of the word “get off” which could mean to climax! Heh! Your wit and humour is infectious! :roflmao:

Again, I can understand opposition muckraking, but when your own publications start mudslinging after you’ve already been elected, I tend to believe it. Given his wife’s disabilities and the love hotel/motel culture in Asia (remember the Supreme Court Justice in Taiwan mentioning that he went to a love motel with a colleague because his associate had the trots? :laughing: :laughing:), I don’t think it is out of the realm of possibility. It’s not like Chen had a clean record afterwards, is it? If a man can allegedly launder money and engage in so much corruption, I really don’t put it past the man to cheat on his wife either?

You don’t like double entendres, but you enjoyed the crudeness of the juvenile Mike Hunt story wherein the implied word is one of the nastiest words that can be used in front of a woman…forgive me for not understanding the paradox :laughing: :wink: Compared with such lewd words, “probing” and “touching” is tame indeed. :whistle:

I guess I don’t have a lot of respect for politicians that quit and who stay above the fray based on their looks and foreign education. Compare this with a much less photogenic person such as Chen Chu who knows how to pound the “taike” flesh, and who has been involved in human rights for decades, this young generation comes across as self-centred, narcissistic, and light weight. Hsiao might be appreciated by foreign audiences because she can speak English well and looks pleasant enough, but I don’t think this aloofness plays well with the “taike” bloc in Taiwan (no offense walile :laughing: ) She just ain’t a realist. :laughing:

[quote=“walile”]
You don’t want to insult anybody by using “taike”. Be a little bit considerate next times, if you live in Taiwan.[/quote]
What on earth for? All the so-called Taike chaps I’ve ever met are quite proud of it.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“walile”]
You don’t want to insult anybody by using “taike”. Be a little bit considerate next times, if you live in Taiwan.[/quote]
What on earth for? All the so-called Taike chaps I’ve ever met are quite proud of it.[/quote]

so-called by who?

The term was originally coined by 2nd generation Taipei mainlanders to refer to Taiwanese in a derogatory way. In the 90s some Taiwanese youth were fed up with it and basically took over the control of this word by actively redefining it in a positive way. Other insist on using it in a derogatory way.

How would you define taike? Do you even know how and who use taike? It has nothing to do with grassroots.

xxx客 is a derogatory term. 怪客 means weirdo。Taike is Taiwan客. I don’t know what nationality you are. I’m Taiwanese, and if I go to Africa i wouldn’t go around calling men or women nigga.

If you consider yourself taike and are accepted into the circle of your “taike” friends, them you can call one another “taike” among yourselves.

[quote=“walile”][quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“walile”]
What on earth for? All the so-called Taike chaps I’ve ever met are quite proud of it.[/quote]

so-called by who?

The term was originally coined by 2nd generation Taipei mainlanders to refer to Taiwanese in a derogatory way. In the 90s some Taiwanese youth were fed up with it and basically took over the control of this word by actively redefining it in a positive way. Other insist on using it in a derogatory way.

How would you define taike? Do you even know how and who use taike? It has nothing to do with grassroots.

xxx客 is a derogatory term. 怪客 means weirdo。Taike is Taiwan客. I don’t know what nationality you are. I’m Taiwanese, and if I go to Africa i wouldn’t go around calling men or women nigga.

If you consider yourself taike and are accepted into the circle of your “taike” friends, them you can call one another “taike” among yourselves.[/quote]
Who said anything about grassroots?
It’s more a label regarding behaviour, bearing and dress.
It is not even anywhere close in usage to the n-word, which has far more centuries of abusive baggage accompanying it. A closer Western approximation would be ‘trailer trash’.

Now, you can go back to lecturing on the patently bloody obvious. As for me, I’ll use the term whenever I damn well feel like it, whether as a perjorative or as an inside joke. And damnation with the PC semantics!

In any event, this is patently off-topic. Do a search for ‘taike’, and rail on about the insensitivity of those red-haired barbarians, if one so pleases.

I actually don’t care if Hsiao Bi-khim screwed CSB five times a day in a waterbed with mirrors on the ceiling. It’s nobody’s business.

What makes a good legislator is one who introduces useful legislation and tries to get it passed, and/or tries to defeat/repeal bad legislation. Heated rhetoric, grandstanding, theatrics in front of the TV cameras, boneheaded legislation introduced just to score political points, hate-mongering, etc, are not my idea of fine legislative tactics. Not that I really accuse Hsiao Bi-khim of this, but it was CSB’s style.

regards,
DB

[quote=“walile”][quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“walile”]

so-called by who?

xxx客 is a derogatory term. 怪客 means weirdo。Taike is Taiwan客. I don’t know what nationality you are. I’m Taiwanese, and if I go to Africa I wouldn’t go around calling men or women nigga.

If you consider yourself taike and are accepted into the circle of your “taike” friends, them you can call one another “taike” among yourselves.[/quote]

Honest question: Why do many Taiwanese use taike to refer to Hsinchu City, e.g. “I wouldn’t want to live in Hsinchu; it’s too taike.”