Hsinchu County American School

I asked my inside source, she never heard about it. Maybe farther in the past?

All the years blur into one. Iā€™m going to say 15 earth years.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good chunk. If a bit before then might have been off my radar.

@Andrew0409?

I have to say from in my research, a lot of people die in schools in Taiwan. In 1985 two TAS American kids (15) bludgeoned another American kid to death with a baseball bat. Drugs were involved.

No they didnā€™t.

1 Like

They donā€™t.

What?

Iā€™m pretty sure you are, in fact, imagining it. Dream, maybe? Or confusing it with another place?

1 Like

I doubt it. Because Iā€™ve passed through that very gate on many occasions so in the incident stuck in my memory.

Unlike the other story you mentioned, this one is true.

There are a lot of secretism around this. The kid was playing in the cafeteria when nobody was there, fell down somewhere in it, hit her head and suffered an internal injury. After 3 surgeries, she died.
The issue of kids playing in unsupervised areas of the school was previously addressed by teachers in the Elementary section, but the principal at that time ignored them for whatever reason. After the incident, I think admins at the school asked teachers to start checking out common areas in the school after lessons.

1 Like

So have I, and I know people who have done so daily for decades who have never mentioned it. That combined with the fact that private security guards in Taiwan arenā€™t armed and there is nothing online about it makes me assume it never happened. If you find a reliable source stating otherwise I will stand corrected.

2 Likes

Considering itā€™s the American school, the guard could have been sent from AIT to protect the child of the head of mission. Would also explain why there are no stories online about it. AIT would certainly have the power to cover something like this up, especially in KMT era Taiwan. Thatā€™s pure speculation though, and I doubt this actually happened. Probably just a rumour started by kids.

Better questionā€¦ how inept are the guards that theyā€™re either letting their guns be stolen (bad) or actively allowing students to play with them (much worse)?

I have seen some security guards who carry weapons outside of a couple housing neighborhoods that used to be military bases (are not anymore).

Itā€™s definitely rare, but there are some locations that do have guards with weapons

The incident is also mentioned in this Google review of the school. Donā€™t know if itā€™s true or not.

https://g.co/kgs/ErsYBh