Hsinchu Cycling Scene

I’ve just moved to Taiwan and will be settling in Hsinchu on 31st December. I would like to know if there are any active cycling clubs/groups in the area as I want to resume my training as soon as possible.

I’m a third cat vet from the UK. Been off the bike for about three weeks, but still reasonably fit (I hope) so looking for a few wheels to sit on for a few weeks before I stick my nose into the wind. ;0) Would also be interested in any mountain biking in the area, although my MTB is still in the UK, so no immediate chance of off-roading.

Any pointers welcome. Thanks.

Colin

[quote=“ColT”]I’ve just moved to Taiwan and will be settling in Hsinchu on 31st December. I would like to know if there are any active cycling clubs/groups in the area as I want to resume my training as soon as possible.

I’m a third cat vet from the UK. Been off the bike for about three weeks, but still reasonably fit (I hope) so looking for a few wheels to sit on for a few weeks before I stick my nose into the wind. ;0) Would also be interested in any mountain biking in the area, although my MTB is still in the UK, so no immediate chance of off-roading.

Any pointers welcome. Thanks.

Colin[/quote]

Hi Colin,

By far the strongest club in Hsinchu is EMA; they ride most mornings and do 100 k+ rides every weekend. Weekday rides are more for pace line training for newbies. Weekend rides are sufferfests and they wait for no one. They dominate local races too by controlling the front of the peloton. I think they’re based out of Jiaotong uni and speak pretty good English. Link to their website:
e-ma.homeip.net/phpBB3/index.php

Thanks for that. My wife has a research post at that Uni (if it’s the same as Chiao Tung??), so I hope I can make contact with some of the riders soon.

Any other thoughts or recommendations on this?

Also, I run Campag on all my road bikes. Is there anywhere in town which stocks Campag components or will I have to defect to the dark side ;0) ?

[quote=“ColT”]Any other thoughts or recommendations on this?

Also, I run Campag on all my road bikes. Is there anywhere in town which stocks Campag components or will I have to defect to the dark side ;0) ?[/quote]
Lots of campy here because there’s lots of Italian bikes being ridden for show. Most every high end bike shop will offer their bikes in Campy/SRAM or Shimano.

EDIT: I forgot you is talking about Hsinchu here. In Hsinchu there’s only one shop that I know of that is high end i.e. it sells frames and you choose the set up yourself. And I forget where that is. But you can always shop for stuff in Taipei.

Maybe the one on Jianzhong Rd. near Gongdaowu.

Yeah thats the one 風成 or De Cycle Pro bike shop. The websites 6 years old but the counter has a huge Campy logo under it so…decycle.com.tw/index.php?opt … &Itemid=30

Yup. Still there. Found it yesterday, thanks.

Also found a Giant store near the stadium on the the side of the river, close to the junction of Freeway 1, next door to a Ducati dealer, and quite close to where I’m living. The woman I spoke to in there speaks good English and they had more than just Giants in there.

Nice to have a couple of options. :sunglasses:

There’s a Merida dealer in Jhubei too - just drive from that Giant shop along the main road parallel to the Freeway, past the stadiums, then turn right (Can’t remember the road name but its something 8th). A little way up there is a big Merida shop on the left.
There’s quite a few small bike shops in Hsinchu city - one that I haven’t been in, but I think has some high end stuff inside, is just off Guangfu Rd, in one of the small lanes between Guangfu Rd and the Bade Rd RT Mart

Looks like Sheng Li 8th ?? Will check it out later. Thanks for the tip.

[quote=“march”]There’s a Merida dealer in Zhubei too - just drive from that Giant shop along the main road parallel to the Freeway, past the stadiums, then turn right (Can’t remember the road name but its something 8th). A little way up there is a big Merida shop on the left.
There’s quite a few small bike shops in Hsinchu city - one that I haven’t been in, but I think has some high end stuff inside, is just off Guangfu Rd, in one of the small lanes between Guangfu Rd and the Bade Rd RT Mart[/quote]

That’ll be the one we mention above I guess. It’s the highest end shop in Hsinchu i.e. sells mostly “Italian” frames.

No, not DE Cycle, that’s up past a-mart. This one’s nearer the railway line, between Bade Rd and Guangfu Rd.
I’m out of town at the moment otherwise I’d go and check it out. Got me wondering what’s in there now, but from the outside it looks a bit more “boutique”.

Update:

Found the Merida shop, thanks. Seems okay, but not Campag friendly. Also a KHS(?) place diagonally opposite - quite triantelope friendly as far as I could tell, but had a Wilier in there so can’t be all bad. ;0)

I thought I should give a mention to my actual LBS. About 5 mins ride from where I’m living, there’s a Giant shop at No. 239, Section 1, Fuxing E Rd (next door to the Ducati Dealer). Erick Lee runs the place - has provided me with good service to date for a few minor bits and pieces (lights and bar tape) and he has an interesting range of things in there other than Giants. Last time I went in a bloke was just riding away on his brand new Campag equipped Giant, so I think I can be fairly sure that most of my needs will be satisfied in the coming months.

EDIT: just realised I’d already mentioned the Giant shop a few weeks ago. Still, I’ve now had first-hand experience, having dealt with Erick a few times, so worth a further mention.

There is also a local group that meets every Tuesday and Thursday at 8PM for a ride. Start is at Hsinchu City Hall (end of ZhongShan Rd). Typical route is out to HWY 61 and up to Yongan Harbour and back (~50km). Typical turnout is ~20 riders, and the speed varies from very fast to moderate. Some of the eMA guys go and crank at the front at 40kph+. Lights required. Maybe see you there… I’ll be the other wai guo ren :wink:

@medmonds, good to hear about the ride on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Looks like I’ll be the 3rd alien.

Sounds good. I’ll try to get over there, so long as it’s not too cold. I didn’t bring any arm/leg warmers or long sleeved jerseys and I’m a bit of a Southern softie. ;0)

metroasis.com.tw/ << Found good medium-warm bike clothes at this place on #1 in Jhubei. Cheaper than the stuff at the bike stores but still good quality. For some reason none of the giant branded pants fit me well, so this was a good find. Good selection of arm warmers, helmets, and other accessories there too.

Ouch.

Good ride man! I tracked it on Strava: app.strava.com/activities/39051291

Very enjoyable, if a little painful for me legs and lungs. I think it was August or September when I last rode anything like that pace. Hope to be out again next week, then I’m back to the UK for a month or so to sort out our affairs and arrange shipping. I’ll be bringing warmer gear and a lighter bike, just in case. ;0)

Looks like you did a bit more on the way back - I’m glad I turned off towards Zhubei as I was pretty well, erm, ‘satisfied’ by then. My Garmin clocked 37 miles, and 2 hours, which is plenty at this stage of my (putative) season.

See you soon.

Colin