Hsinchu name and romanization

My mother would wash my mouth out with soap if a say that :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your interest in my comment. For further guidance, please refer to the following post.

Well done! Two low-effort posts that make me seriously doubt your critical thinking abilities in a row! :man_facepalming: :partying_face:

1 Like

The sad part is that that’s the same logic as English to Chinese transliteration.

Why do you keep posting a link to that post? It doesn’t contain anything intelligent or accurate, except this part:

Either write Hsinchu or Xinzhu. Don’t make up your own romanization.

Anyway, back to the “sh” spelling…

If you replace the “Hs” sound with “Sh” in your made-up spelling system, then how would you spell the current “Sh” (tongue-curling “s” sound)?

For example, if you’re going to spell 西 as “shi”, then how should 是 (shi) and 射 (she) be spelled?

“Schuh” instead of “she” for 射?

Besides, an American would read your made-up spellings differently from a British or Australian or New Zealander would. Not to mention a French or German or Spanish or Portuguese person.

Seems like a better idea to just stick with current rominization conventions.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I will forward your concerns to the manager. For an articulation of my position, please refer to this post.

That post doesn’t answer my question. Let me ask again:

si and se, respectively. Taiwanese people don’t know the difference.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

I find it funny to say a romanization should be this or that based on the English language when the English language is highly inconsistent when it comes to pronunciation.

:see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Problem solved. You’re welcome.

Full table:
TUR

1 Like

It does not really matter what letters of the alphabet you use, as long as it is consistent.

Look at the Russian alphabet, some letters look familiar to English speakers, but are pronounced differently. You learn the differences and you are ready to go.

Our brains a capable of distinguishing the differences and nuances, no need to get it perfect. Just decide on one system and use it consistently everywhere.

Exactly, and what would be useful for people in Taiwan in trying to create a environment where every language is equally respected is a romanization that stays consistent for every language, since you learn it and can you can at least sound out things written in every language, but most importantly, people’s names.