HTC is gone

I thought the Downey Jr ad was funny but at the end I had no idea what it was selling or what it stood for

R.I.P. Helio, Danger, Palm, Blackberry, Motorola, Vertu, Sony Ericsson, Nokia, HTC

1 Like

And he looked pretty annoyed. The only other ad I can think of in which you feel really sorry for the star, no matter how much they were paid, is the ACER with Megan Fox.

H.old T.his C.at
What does it all mean?

Happy telephone company

Sony makes money from their image sensors, they’re in many smartphones.

I knew a guy that wanted to open a salad bar/coffee shop in the HTC building.

1 Like

I used to go and teach classes there when they were making lots of money. They had a very nice swimming pool and some quality food outlets.

1 Like

Nokia is still there, and probably getting better. Motorola too. And Sony got rid of Ericsson.

They started off as Dopod right ?

I got a loan of a dopod the touchscreen barely worked and the memory was tiny
I remember cursing it
But they went on to bigger things afterwards.

My landlord works for them I hope he still has his job .

I guess by name only, theyve been sold, and traded and sold so many times

Commodization will kill most players in the space.
The lack of their own software and chips killed em I guess.
Apple and Google have the software, Samsung have the Chips and the Screens. Almost everybody else loses money right ?

But HTC didn’t help themselves with really terrible marketing campaigns.

2 Likes

Look at what EVA did by hiring Takeshi. That campaign costed millions but generated hundreds of millions. HTC should have hired Takeshi!

5 Likes

Yes, they’re making money selling components to other smartphone OEMs. But their own smartphone brand is losing market share. These two statements are not contradictory.

actually, I think it was the Hello Kitty airplanes that flew out of Sungshan.
Clear as day under summer blue skies.
Please don’t let your well-known love of Takeshi downgrade the power of Hello Kitty.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just wait for their next phones, they’ll be better.

Well, many former Sony smartphone users got tired of the omnibalance design because it was used for too long and looked forward to the new design language promised for MWC 2018. And Sony came out with Ambient flow in the XZ2 which seems to have even more detractors. And Ambient flow looks like it will stick around for at least the next few years. The common complaints are that the bezels are still too thick and the phones themselves are too thick & heavy. And the curved backs slide around like crazy on a flat surface. Do you work in the Sony supply chain and know something that the public doesn’t in terms of Sony’s future smartphones?

No, I’m not working for Sony. But one thing I know, they learn from their mistakes made. Improve. It’s like when they took over Minolta, they were the underdog. Now they’re doing pretty well, improved on their software and design, technology.
BTW, Minolta was an underdog too, but the thing was that they came first with many new inventions in the SLR camera field. But they didn’t do marketing well.
I guess the only player Sony needs to be aware of is Samsung when it comes to image sensors. Very few others out there.

My cousin is an engineer for one of HTC’s suppliers. He said HTC had some kind of 慧鏄.

Given the dire straits HTC is facing, that’s not surprising at all. I would be surprised if they didn’t have 慧鏄。They should have just sold the entire company to Google or just shut the rest down when that transaction happened. Because its going to happen anyway.

1 Like

I worked there in RD for 3 years in the mid 2000s. Great company and great people (Peter, Cher and many of her family members). Generous with RD staff, and a whole lot of fun. Was a blast.

1 Like