HTC is gone

I was joking about Jump.
Once I asked a middle schooler to name a famous Taiwanese brand, he thought for a moment and replied with a flash of inspiration , Jump!

Of course dingtaifung is super successful overseas .

Personally I think Taiwanese beef noodle and dumping chains could be massive overseas too.

Also a variation on Re Chao could be really big.

Louisa and Cama could do very well also.

Louisa, maybe. Cama, definitely not.

A dear friend is back in the old country. She just waited 35 minutes for a cup of coffee at McDs. Asked for a stirrer and was told there is none. Use a straw instead. In a very unfriendly way.

I asked: why don’t you go to a small cafe and she says there are no affordable ones, where you can get a coffee quickly and leave. They do not have that culture/style. Only fancy ones where you spend the afternoon. Or McD.

We have small mom and pop like snack and quick meals places, but you ask for only a cup of coffee there and they will give you the stink eye or not sell you anything at all, tell you to go on your merry way.

So a coffee chain business model a la Cama or even Louisa woudl be great. Unfortunately, it would only work downtown as the car culture means there is no foot traffic for drink stalls.

What’s not true? That sounds consistent with what my cousin said.

I’m not sure we need more places using disposable containers. Bringing your own reusable travel mug is acceptable. Waiting thirty-five minutes for coffee is a bit ridiculous, though.

Tatung has been around since there was a Taiwan, and they’ve haven’t grown.

1 Like

:noway:

1 Like

In the old country they have very little disposable utensils, they do not have the habit yet. Plastic bags, though

We could go paper cups/straws or the new technology using discarded folliage. Problem is that, for instance, we have lots of pineapple leaves to use, but the chemicals
 scary.

Recycling has not taken hold yet there either. Upcycling and reusing is and has always been a habit, though. It is not thrown away until well, it cannot be used.

1 Like

My first computer in teh old country was Tatung. When my Taiwanese friend visited and discovered it, she almost died laughing as she did not even know that Tatung made computers. So they had a computer division. Awesome computer, BTW.

Problem is no one knows what they are doing. Their stores have everything. But one does not feel
confident. Aside from their indestructible war tank rice cookers, no one has heard of anything else.

My classmates did a case study for Tatung when I was in college. They are simply not interested or their efforts are misoriented. Mind boggling to have good stuff and no will to sell it.

They’re just too big and unwieldly (like some of their products). Like a QUANGO, with their own university and fingers in all sorts of pies.

1 Like

He seemed to think that it was a simple process of just shrinking but they actually need to use novel technologies and techniques to do this .

They don’t really make money from manufacturing I believe but they are incredible rich from their landbanks. My inlaws went to college there, if you study with them you are guaranteed a job. They are a very traditional conglomerate . Supposedly their wine division is cos of a foreign son in law marrying in. So it goes in Taiwan.

They have backing of an electronics company that invested 300,000,000 NT$ in it to expand X-amount of stores in Taiwan and than go to China.

Same in the home country, only big cities would likely fit the business model. Many companies have the in-office coffee maker/drip from one of the companies that are specialized in that, buy coffee and get machine for free on a contract. Coffee shops are there to spend time with friends or read a paper, enjoy the afternoon, take-away coffee, no so much. Because people over there are not too stingy to buy more than one coffee, or even a good beer during the time they are enjoying life.

That’s true, Tatung is a bigger company than people realize,they even make components for others. They even have a university.
TV’s, aircons, fridges 
 anything.
Tatung has branch companies all over Taiwan no one ever knows they are affiliated, except the employees.

Please elaborate.

Interesting, their share price (2371 TT) has gone up by more than 5x since 2016, they must be doing something right!

I even spent about two years teaching English at one of their subsidiaries, I was the only foreigner speaking English in town. Made good money.

They have McDs in Belize? Interesting. :smirk:

Debt & purchasing power. Taiwanese companies, citizens, and the government are not very overextended. They are in a better situation to weather financial uncertainties than most countries. Perhaps corporations are a tad too conservative and could loosen the purse strings a bit more, but at least they’re relatively stable. Also, the cost of living in Taiwan is pretty decent considering the slow wage growth. Lots of people casually point to Korea as a beacon of success, but life there isn’t smoother.

Taiwanese companies need to pick up the pace, but not go all out. My suspicion is they got scared after the Asian financial crisis, the dot-com crash, and global financial crisis, and they’re just playing it safe. Perhaps a little too safe, but Korea was affected more severely in the Asian financial crisis and global financial crisis than what Taiwan was.

And, interestingly, I don’t think we currently own one product by a Korean company. Japanese, yes. Taiwanese, yes. Chinese, obviously yes. Various EU countries, yes. Korean, no.