HTC is gone

:noway:

We may not have drinkable water but we have a Coke plant. McDonald’s, Wendy’s,BK, Subway, … Heck we have medium class chains I call fake dinners and even top of the line US steak places. Tourist man, tourist want their stuff, not ours. And you pay too dollar.

And that is why when I was little going to McDonald’s was a once a year, Christmas special treat. But I preferred Wendy’s.

What companies are new on the scene from Taiwan in the products or service space apart from F & B?
Any breakthrough stories ?

Are you referring to yourself/your immediate family or the whole of Taiwan? You’re saying nobody in Taiwan owns a Samsung smartphone?

Some companies (SME) made enough money and quit, retired, bought some real estate, stop.

Others went on to China and lost big. Others borrowed money to ‘expand’ the business in Taiwan, got the money into an off-shore company and left it at that. Or invested that money in China.

Wendy’s? They came to Taiwan and left in a hurry!

I remember I went to it once. Near Anhe I think, wasn’t it? :grandpa:

Renai traffic circle. As seen in the movie Eat Drink Manly Women

wow, is that why there have been a lot of new stores recently? bigger ones that actually look decent. its my place of choice now if i can get a seat, its 3x cheaper than the competition.

I think there was another one on the corner of yuanshan and Zhongshan and it is still a fast-food joint.

Their stores are pretty decent, price is really good and coffee isn’t bad either. A friend owned company helped with the rebranding .

What are we talking about here?

Your other comments were more on point. This seems beneath you.

It was an honest question! I can only read your words based on what they seem to mean, understanding they can mean different things but I honestly just don’t know. In this case, I didn’t know what you meant by “we”.

Great question, waiting to be answered! There are bound to be names but whether they’re ones that more than a few of us have heard or have significant presence outside of Taiwan - that’s another issue.

Gogoro?

1 Like

Louisa…In general I’m a fan. Much of their success was due to mark stokers firm doing the rebranding. You can tell.

Gogoro is an awesome company, it’s still an open question whether they will succeed overseas though. I think they could.

Gogoro is started by an ex-HTC employee. I think it will succeed very well.

They are currently being sold for bike share programs in Netherlands and France.

If you’re not a native English speaker, then I apologize. There are a lot of people on here from different countries, and I shouldn’t make assumptions.

I’ve used “they” all along when talking about Taiwanese people and companies. I didn’t suddenly switch to “we” for that particular post. Even if you read that sentence (“I don’t think we currently own one product by a Korean company”), it makes no logical sense for it to apply to all Taiwanese people, especially given that there are Korean products in stores here (in Taiwan). Someone here (in Taiwan) must be buying them, and therefore some Taiwanese people must own some Korean products. That means the “we” in my post must refer to my household. Sorry for the confusion.