HTC is gone

They’re certainly smart to identify the product category as in a few/several years time, most if not all scooters around the world will be electric powered. But will they prosper once the Mainland Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Italian & all the other scooter brands start selling the same thing? HTC was also the first mover in Android smartphones and look at where they are now.

Looks like Cher Wang has a large stake in Gogoro too.

it would be the death knell for Gogoro if Cher Wang has an active management role.

1 Like

Being the first is not good, you have to practically invent the wheel over again!

she is actually a piece of shit… the more I read about her, her politics, her deals, her back stabbing, or her over the top holier than thou Christian attitude the more it seems she took all of Daddy’s money and pissed it away by being an arrogant, self centered bitch… but I may be mistaken

She would sell this country down the river that’s enough for me to know what she’s like.
The Wang family have gifted us all that lovely pollution in Taiwan .

Morris Chang on the otherhand…True business legend and friend of Taiwan .

LOL, ok dude.

Taiwan was better known globally when it was exporting cheap toys that broke easily.

A World Bank economist, Lant Pritchett, got in trouble for suggesting rich countries pay poor countries to take their waste. Formosa Plastics tried to do that several times.

Taipei, April 27 (CNA) The cancer risk in a Changhua village has been confirmed to be linked to a naphtha cracking plant in neighboring Yunlin County, according to the results of a research project published Thursday.

The research focuses on residents of Changhua’s Dacheng Township and neighboring Chutang Township, north of Formosa Plastics Group’s sixth naphtha cracking plant.

It was found that the risk of cancer in Dacheng’s Taishi village, about eight kilometers from the plant in Yunlin’s Mailiao Township, was one in 1,000 between 1999 and 2007, while the rate rose to 8.44 in 1,000 for the 2008-2014 period, the research team said at a news conference.

The research was carried out by a team led by Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權), vice dean of National Taiwan University’s College of Public Health, from 2014-2016. The team was commissioned by Changhua’s Public Health Bureau and the National Health Research Institutes.

Considering the latency of nine years for cancer and taking out personal factors that could lead to cancer – including smoking and drinking – the research team said that the risk of cancer for Taishi villagers was found to be 2.66 times higher than residents in other villages in Dacheng Township since 2008, the 10th year of operations of the naphtha cracking plant

This will be what Tsai bitch-face’s presidency will be remembered for. Turning a blind eye to the most heinous environmental despoliation. Here’s one report on the case mentioned by BJ above: 25,000 monitored violations, no fines paid.

2 Likes

daz turrible

I thought the reason Tsai wants to shut down nuclear power is because she cares so much about Taiwan’s environment.

How does that work? Shut down nuclear but bring coal back on line?

She doesn’t give a shit about the environment. I went down and talked to some of the Truku tribes people when they were protesting about Asia Cement destroying their lands near Taroko gorge. They couldn’t believe that she’d turn a blind eye to what was going on. They also originally believed she was pro-environment. The only thing she’s pro is pro-business.

Yeah, so many ironies and policy blunders.

What bad deals and backstabbing has Cher Wang done? I keep hearing about this but I never get told the exact details.

This is a great question that needs to be answered. We have a right to know.

You won’t hear it here, she too many $$ to sue everybody.

Tell you what though the Taiwan stock market is a disaster in terms of insider trading. Acer was caught a few years ago.

Also a lot of public companies are run by families with diverse biz interests, they can use them like piggy banks.

They also seem to love dividends rather than share prices cos the directors own large portions of the stock. Hon hai stock price goes nowhere for years but the directors still make a fortune.

I think some companies even under report profits to reduce tax liability.

1 Like

I get the picture. Not an excuse but sounds no worse than the Korean chaebol world.

We get all the nepotismic corruption associated with the chaebols, but without the scale and brand-name recognition.

1 Like

HTC released 2Q 2018 results which are terrible but should not be surprising to anyone. Surely this company can’t survive for much longer? Although it amazes me how some companies can go on and on, almost as walking zombies or even come back from the dead. For example, Blackberry.