HTC not dead?

So apparently, the engineers and patents they sold to Google were only from the unit that was already doing OEM for the Pixel phone. I’m confused. they just released the blockchain phone too.

1 Like

They will continue to sell off their top assets (VR department next to sell?) to survive a little longer but their demise is inevitable.

That block chain phone came out at least 2 years too late for the bitcoin hype. Public interest in Bitcoin keeps declining. Nobody besides bitcoin enthusiast will buy that phone. It will be a big flop.

It’s niche but they need to keep nimble. A phone with crypto cold wallet is pretty cool and very convenient.

I also think it is pretty cool.
But is is soooo niche that it can not make any profit.

I agree , it seems their revenue has crashed badly year on year .
Probably a block chain phone (cold wallet enabled) phone is 5 years away from mainstream.

some analysts are saying blockchain is the future.

By the way, their VR thingy won an award. Probably means it won’t sell.

I dabble in cryotocurrencies. The biggest issue with crypto is hackers . Many folks keep their funds offline in cold wallets. But then how do you spend it conveniently or make larger transactions? You have to plug in your nano ledger or trezor. It’s inconvenient and cumbersome in many cases. I like the cold wallet integrated onto a mobile phone. You turn on the Wallet , perhaps use fingerprint or face recognition and it approves the transaction .
Maybe the cold wallet is easily updatable , but only through a secure network (not from Google play) and can help you manage hundreds of wallets with one access point.

Not sure what other differences there could be, perhaps enhanced encryption? Some phones could do light proof of work and become nodes such as for Nano or Iota.