Hu Jintao gets an earful in Washington -- from a protester

From The Washington Times:

[quote]“Stop persecuting Falun Gong,” screamed a woman from across the lawn, standing atop a scaffolding for photographers.
“President Bush, stop him from killing Falun Gong,” she yelled, just a few minutes after Mr. Bush had urged Mr. Hu to allow his people “the freedom to assemble, to speak freely and to worship.” [/quote]

[quote]As she continued to scream at the top of her lungs, Mr. Bush leaned in toward an expressionless Mr. Hu and said, “You’re OK.”
The surprised Chinese leader then continued his remarks, talking about trade, security, energy and praising American ideals, but saying nothing on freedom of speech.[/quote]

You may see the full CNN video (censored by China) HERE.

And there is more CNN coverage of the event HERE.

Bravo! Dr. Wenyi Wang! Bravo!!

It should be noted that Dr. Wang was arrested for disrupting an event and may be charged with “intimidating a foreign official” – a serious federal charge that could mean 6 months in jail. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

HERE is some more about Dr. Wenyi Wang from another diarist. Apparently she had the guts to confront Jiang Zemin when he was president as well in 2001.

Her courage is something we can all aspire to!

Later, Bush actually APOLOGIZED for the disturbance!

There was one pic of the Taiwan protesters that I found as well:

I hope we see more of this from the visit!

Actually I’m with Hu on this one. Fuck Falun Gong. Plus I’m disappointed with the global media - this is a perfect opportunity to point out what a retarded bloody organization FLG is. They have no problem doing that with Scientology, so there is a precedent.

BTW, it’s not surprising – but nothing has been written about this incident in the Chinese media.

The documentation of PRC atrocities against the Falun Gong group has not been credibly dismissed.
The Dr. raises valid issues.

SIGH.

This is NOT about “Falun Gong”. It’s about free speech and human rights.

Can you imagine, hypothetically, if somebody from “Doomsday Times” or “Heaven’s Gate Press” got a press pass to this? Because it’s exactly what this is like. “Epoch Times” my ass.

They aren’t a democratic nation, duh.

[quote]
Later, Bush actually APOLOGIZED for the disturbance! [/quote]

Perhaps Katrina victims should take up Chinese citizenship then…

[quote=“Namahottie”]

[quote]
Later, Bush actually APOLOGIZED for the disturbance! [/quote]

Perhaps Katrina victims should take up Chinese citizenship then…[/quote]

Nah. That would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

They should simply make sure that the Dems regain control of congress and the Senate.

Then proceed with impeachment.

Then make sure the likes of Bushco. never come to office again.

This is something the Chinese citizens do not have the opportunity to do themselves.

[quote=“STOP_Ma”]
This is NOT about “Falun Gong”. It’s about free speech and human rights.[/quote]

STOP_MA, this is not about free speech and human rights. It is about Falun Gong, a cult with the founder claiming some sort of God power. As for Epoch Times, I (as a neutral person) can only summarize the paper as nothing, but full of Big Shiiit…

This statement exudes anything but neutrality. :slight_smile:

Actually, all politics aside, I think this issue has more to with security issues, flagrant abuse of her press credentials, and the complete bewilderment with which these two supercultures regard each other.

Did anyone see the footage after Hu finished his speech? I guess Bush and Hu were supposed to stand on an x marks the spot. Hu meandered too far to the right, and Bush quickly fished him back with a fine two-finger hold on his upper sleeve. Hu’s facial expression was a classic.

Obviously, during pre-orientation, the aides on both sides (slides?) were sleeping while the scheme was lost in translation. And wasn’t the anthem announced incorrectly?

Anyway, I digress. To get back on topic: Is it acceptable for someone to use their press credentials to gain access to a secure site, in order to perform an act of propaganda? However “courageous”, or for whatever “noble” cause the case may be. Isn’t this some kind of violation of freedom? With freedom, comes responsibility.

The only positive note is that the White House press corps will no doubt face a few future shakedowns. They should let the Marines do it. :sunglasses: (I’m being flippant here).

Violation of freedom? LOL!

Surely you jest.

This, in a country which has “free speech safe zones” and stooge reporters lodging soft-ball questions in the White House.

When freedom of speech is denied, this sort of creative intrusion should be applauded. What harm was done? Oh, that’s right, China’s CNN viewers had a couple of minutes of a black screen in their living rooms.

Hu deserves the scrutiny. Wherever it comes from.

The real harm done is to Asian Americans.

Now the White House Security has even more reason to marginalize Asian reporters, because any one of them could be “sleeper” FLG nutters.

That woman screamed like a crow and seeemd a bit unstable. She needs psychiatric help. All FLGers need it, actually.

From the NY Times:

“Compounding the gaffe, a White House announcer introducing the national
anthems at the same ceremony mistakenly referred to China as the Republic of China, which is the formal name of its archrival, Taiwan.”

nytimes.com/2006/04/21/world … prexy.html

I can just imagine a hundred Chinese protocal officers suddenly going apeshit.

I’m sure this is serious gaffe, but it gave me a chuckle this morning.

Here’s an excerpt from a good satirical take on the one and only dood abides at Daily Kos

Jintao was embarassingly revealed to be wearing a cheap copy or “knock-off” of a $5000 Italian suit

Falun Gong protester Wang Wenji just moments before her execution on the South lawn of the White House (I guess he couldn’t find the right photo of Dr. Wang?)

[quote]The Secret Service was scheduled to charge Wenji with disorderly conduct, but President Bush intervened on behalf of Jintao and turned Wenji over to the custody of the Chinese President’s security detail. In a hastily arranged proceeding, Wenji was executed at dawn this morning on the South lawn of the White House with the traditional, efficient single bullet to the head used in China. In keeping with the Chinese tradition, Bush assured Jintao that Wenji’s surviving family members would be assessed the cost of the bullet.

White House historians were fairly certain that this was the first on premises execution in the brief history of the White House.[/quote]

[quote]From the NY Times:

“Compounding the gaffe, a White House announcer introducing the national
anthems at the same ceremony mistakenly referred to China as the Republic of China, which is the formal name of its archrival, Taiwan.”

I’m sure this is serious gaffe, but it gave me a chuckle this morning.[/quote]

No doubt. I thought I was hearing things last night when I first heard that happen. What level or preparation and /or rehearsal was enacted prior to this “official”, though not “state” visit?

The whole thing still makes me laugh. Sorry, but it’s just such a monumental cock-up that it reads like either a scene out of Monty Python, or a deliberate snare by a team of intelligence operatives with a fine sense of humor.

:bouncy:

STOP_Ma:

Great Photos: both real & satirical! :smiley: :note: :bravo:

Ginger

I think they put much thought into this visit to make Hu feel at home.

I think they put much thought into this visit to make Hu feel at home.

[/quote]

Nice acerbic comment, but my original comment that you quoted was directed at the level or preparedness on behalf of the aides of both leaders.

What would those sign-brandishing folk do if there was a state visit? Would it be more or less of what we’ve seen today?

At least in a state visit, they’d get the musak right.

Right, I’m more amused than anything else about everything that happened in DC yesterday. Really reflects a lack of… well, let’s just say competence. It’s pretty remarkable. You can be sure that if it was the Iraqi president visiting yesterday, there would’ve been no Baathist activist with Al-Jazeera credentials in the crowd yesterday… and they wouldn’t have (for example) accidentally played the Saddam-era Iraqi anthem.

Hu Jintao clearly hoped this trip would put Sino-US relations on a new level. He failed. China will just have to get comfortable with this state of constant tension; Washington DC obviously is.

And as far as the protestors on the streets of New York go… seriously, does it matter? Taiwan could mobilize a few million in her streets on the same occasion, and mainland China could easily mobilize a few hundred million if Chen Shui-bian ever came to town.

If nothing else though, I’m glad this finally puts to rest the question of whether the Epoch Times is “linked” to the Falun Gong.