Hu says China visited Australia in the 1420s

australianpolitics.com.au/news/2 … -24b.shtml

[quote]Back in the 1420s, the expeditionary fleets of China’s Ming Dynasty reached Australian shores.

For centuries, the Chinese sailed across vast seas and settled down in what they called Southern Land, or today’s Australia.

They brought Chinese culture to this land and lived harmoniously with the local people, contributing their proud share to Australia’s economy, society and its thriving pluralistic culture. [/quote]

All right folks, have fun with this one.

So it didn’t magically appear when Cook discovered it?

Man this is going to total the notion the place was terra nullius when the white man arrived. The abos might even get some PRC clout to their land claims.

Excellent.

Wilcania’s a fine example of that thriving pluralism. Hug city’s what they call it.

HG

Zheng He did not reach Australia, but might have made it to eastern Africa. However the records were conveniently destroyed, so many claims can be made.

Chinaware has been found in OZ. 9th century Arabian coins have been found on Greenland. The answer was trade, as global trade links were developed back then.

However, Huang, don’t be surprised if you wake up one fine morning with Chinese soldiers swarming all over Darling Harbor reclaiming the area for the motherland.

The worst loss would be that the cafes got changed into hunanese restaurants.

Not necessarily Zheng He . . .

[quote]In the early part of the nineteenth century, the English navigator, Mathew Flinders explored in Australian waters, and recorded details of visits by Celebes trepangers to northern areas, particularly the Gulf of Carpentaria and the north-eastern part of Arnhem Land.* That the trade in trepang was ancient is confirmed by myths and legends of Australian Aborigines living in Arnhem land, although the Aborigines are emphatic in their statements that Makasan sailors from Celebes were preceded by another people they termed

Still trade, Huang. No effort to do anything by buying sea slugs.

As a matter of fact, the issue was touched on in the excellent book “When China ruled the seas” a few years back.

I on my side tend to believe that it was polynesian seafarers who reached Australia, as mentioned by Jared Diamond in “Guns, germs, and steel”

BTW That was what Hu said:

[quote]Back in the 1420s, the expeditionary fleets of China’s Ming Dynasty reached Australian shores.

For centuries, the Chinese sailed across vast seas and settled down in what they called Southern Land, or today’s Australia.

They brought Chinese culture to this land and lived harmoniously with the local people, contributing their proud share to Australia’s economy, society and its thriving pluralistic culture.[/quote]

Bollocks, if you ask me. Wonder what he’ll come up with next time.

This could explain why Australians pick their noses while driving, have a love for sandles, and have many xenophobic types.

Man, they have a lot in common :wink:

Polynesians were the last great wave. There’s evidence to suggest Australia’s aborigines have been there for anything from 60,000 ~ 120,0000 years, depending on who you believe.

HG

So my forefathers weren’t necessarily petty criminals? That might be good news. I’m probably an Ocker Hakka . . a little known band of the Hakka’s that drifted a tad too far south and settled.

Hell, I’m going to march up and demand my Taiwan passport as an over seas Chinese right now.

HG[/quote]

Great, just what I need. Now I’ll be treated like a Mainland spouse. When do my troubles end :? .

Bassman? Nose pickers. Come on now mate.

They started with the Paracel islands and are now claiming Oz???

Wonder where they will end.

I remember in university, where a professor showed us a Chinese history book:"… in the 1620s Russian settlers crossed into Chinese Siberia…"

Well, Hu says they did…

Who’s to say they didn’t… :laughing:

Sorry… just feeling a bit ringy on this cold medicine…

Glad I saw this as I droped back to grab my passport before storming the MOFA.
Convicts, sir, yep right the way back on both sides. Nope, not a Chineser among them.

HG

[quote=“amos”]
Bassman? Nose pickers. Come on now mate.[/quote]

I couldn’t think of anything else that Chinese are really into. :blush:

“Mate”, crikey dick, I haven’t heard Aussie / Kiwi slang for some time.
Apart from this on a website

[quote]Well I got up this morning and I was starving, so I thought I’d go to Maccas’ for some brekky, but you know, like I said before, Taiwan’s’ traffic is pretty bad and you may get in a bingle and have the car at the servo for a couple of days. You have to be pretty careful 'cos most servos here are pretty shonky and do a bodgy job of fixing your car, so it ends up looking like a real dog’s breakfast.

So in the end I didn’t go out I just had a couple of snags and a coffee, said hooroo to my ankle biter cos it was time to pull up stumps and get to work. When I got to work I discovered my cell phone battery was dead, I felt like a complete dill because I should have changed it this morning. I just hope that my phone doesn’t cark it today, but it probably will sometime this arvo. It’s a beaut phone though, Motorola v66, I was keen as mustard to buy it even though I had to go to the big smoke to get it, and that’s a fair trot since I live way out beyond the black stump. It’s a pretty popular phone, I just hope that it doesn’t get flogged, I definitely wouldn’t be wrapped about that.

I suppose ya reckon using all this Aussie and kiwi slang is pretty difficult, but I’ll tell ya what cobber, and I’m fair dinkum about this, it’s pretty easy to do a bonzer job if you don’t act the goat and knock back a few tinnies while you’re trying to write. So if you give it a try for yourself she’ll be apples if ya just follow that advice, you’d probably do a crash hot job too, cos ya sound kinda cluey.

Hey, I almost forgot to ask some questions?

Do you miss eating roast chook?

And does Taipei zoo have any Roos?

Well that’s about all the clean slang I can think of, if there’s any that I have missed just let me know. Oh yeah I just remembered one Aussie joke - don’t take offense - “Why is Aussie beer called XXXX?” “Cos’ they can’t spell Beer.”

Ok gotta go, hooroo,[/quote]