Huaxin Street (Little Burma in Zhonghe) good eats?

I was passing throughthere today, and thought it might be a good place for dinner tonight, but there’s too much choice.

Can anyone recommend a good place (and extra special love if you can tell me a good place for veggies).

I like the one next to the alley…facing the restaurant’s front door, the alley is on the left. Don’t know the address.

They have great curries and a wonderful mango salad. Don’t know about veggie choices…sure they serve veggies, but they might not be free from contact with meat products.

1 Like

Chris has the good place marked, if you look at the sign on top of it, it’s blue and says something about cakes. :ponder: Do try the tea leaf salad, though it has shrimp. It will be across from the 2 dim sum restaurants and on the same side near a good Burmese grocery store I like.

Thanks. I might try it out next week or so.

Nice writeup here

5 Likes

Reviving an old thread, as I’ve been hankering lately for tasty food and hot milk tea.

Zhonghe’s Huaxin Street (an easy walk from Nanshijiao MRT Station Exit 4) has long been the vibrant gathering point of Taiwan’s sizeable Yunnanese / Burmese diaspora. There are tons of places to choose from, but I want to provide a shout-out to the cordial boss of and delicious food at Mr Diamond (google map name: 金鑽亞洲美食; address 183, Section 1, Xingnan Road, Zhonghe District) en route to Huaxin Street from the MRT station. For NT$150, I got ultra tender chicken slow cooked in a coconut curry, served with nicely prepared rice and a small side of sour veggies (like a small side salad). It was a really satisfying lunch, and well worth the trip to the end of the Orange Line. I’d go back in a flash.

Guy

4 Likes

For strong milk tea and assorted desserts (including roti-like flatbreads, served with condensed milk, banana, and/or chocolate, among other possibilities), I can also heartily recommend Venus Star (I think that’s what it’s called; google map name 沅保奶茶店; address 71 Huaxin Street, Zhonghe District). Their Indian style milk tea (no chai spice included despite the “Indian” label) may well be the best milk tea I have had in Taiwan. A small cup (hot) costs a whopping NT$35! This place gets packed so watch out. Open early morning and closed for the day at 3:00 pm (like many joints in this neighbourhood, it’s a daytime only spot). I’d travel back there just to enjoy that tea.

Guy

1 Like

Nice trendy coffee shop to chill out also has some snacks.

阿達阿永咖啡廳 春嶺店
https://goo.gl/maps/q7jJTHr8eTP9jGm97

That looks more like a fancy hotel than anything on or near Huaxin Street! :rofl:

Guy

Afterspivak’s adventures in Zhonghe continued this evening, when I attempted to revisit the excellent Mr Diamond (discussed above). Google maps said they’d be open, but the storefront was closed when I showed up around 5:15 pm. I noticed they were open later, but by then I had already made my way around the corner to Huaxin Street, where I scored some tasty chicken biryani at Wang Wang Lai Asian Curry House (google map name: 旺旺來亞洲咖哩屋; address 23 Huaxin Street, Zhonghe District).

Like the other joints I’ve visited in the neighbourhood, this place impresses with its warm welcome, cordial service, and affordable prices, especially for folks coming across the river from Taipei City. The chicken biryani I had was wonderful—tender chicken and delicious rice (I think the rice is the star of the show here—it’s really good) for NT$140. The milk tea was not as smooth as the tea house version served up the street at Venus Star (discussed above), but hey it was NT$30, and now I know. Lots of people rave about their falooda, but I didn’t try it. There was good customer flow, and an informative video at the front of the shop shows how the dedicated owner (like the owner of Mr Diamond, from Yangon) approaches his craft. If I was hankering again for biryani, I’d gladly return.

Guy

Hi there!

There is a Myanmar food street in Zhonghe.
Any recommendations what to try there?

If you have photos of the food, any particular restaurant or know names of the food and can share with me, I would highly appreciate it :slight_smile:

There’s a whole thread with recent entries

2 Likes

Yes it is! More recently, I have stumbled across this detailed and moving account of Little Burma (with some interesting detours) written by Albert Wu and Michelle Kuo. It’s powerful stuff and well worth reading.

Guy

4 Likes

Just finished. Very good writing in that one.

3 Likes