Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2014-2015

Thank you ! I’ll ask my friends. And let’s try here too, but it will be difficult I guess, my name is - Todor Hristov (first and family names).

I have no idea how “Hristov” is pronounced, but I came up with something that I think might sound like Todor at least?
李濤督 Li (family name) Tao Du (first name)
Check with your friends, half the time when I come up with names they are considered “weird” and I am not really sure why

Thanks. Why the family name is Li, I don’t get it. One friend suggested 李托多 ( Lǐ tuō duō, or Lee Todo in translation) and Todo sounds very close to Todor, but Li (Lee)again, what’s that, where is Hristov ? :slight_smile: :blush: Is Li for a family name in general or what ? :slight_smile:

李 is one of the most common family names. It’s rather difficult to approximate your family name with a single hanzi, so just pick of these if you’re not happy with 李. Just make sure to check with someone after, or else you risk having something that sounds odd/silly/offensive.

Thanks. I think my new Chinese name will be 李托多 :bow:

Hi!
I have what I already think is a silly question, but, better to ask than be sorry!

I am thinking of studying at NTU CLD program in 2015. As of right now there is no information about the start date.

Given that CLD program each year starts in Feb/March, should I apply (once an application form comes out), for the HES 2014-15?. Or wait until 2015-16?

The reason I am confused is because the HES scholarships are given at the end of the year. Seeing as CLD programs starts at the beginning of the year, I’m not sure whether it even qualifies!

Thank you!

aren’t all scholarship students supposed to do a summer term first, and then continue in September with regular terms?
annemiek…They told me on the phone that you can come in september

Where exactly did you write you apply for 9 months, in the study plan section in the application form ? I can’t figure out how to do that and request the desirable months.
bulgaria guy…My form doesn´t have a place on it to include these dates so i just wrote it in my study plan

My question is do the two references on the application correspond to my two letters of recommendation or should they be different people? like a total of four people rather than two? i just wrote the details of my profs writing me letters but hope im not missing a chance to put down two more references.

GOOD LUCK everybody i´ll be mailing mine in next week.

Does anybody know if students majoring in Mandarin are suitable or even eligible to apply for this scholarship? I’m in my first year of a bachelor degree and want to go to Kaohsiung this summer and then as part of my degree in third year I will exchange with 國立政治大學 for 1 academic year. Is that something they want to hear or not? I really haven’t a clue what I’m doing here :blush:

drake: I hope to be going there too, albeit only for the summer program. Kaohsiung looks really cool from what I’ve seen so far. I just hope the 2 night markets will be enough for my voracious appetite. :stuck_out_tongue: The only thing I’m not looking forward to are the giant taiwanese spiders!

Does somebody knows when the results will be announced, it is in the beginning of April right after the application deadline ?

Hi!
Bulgarianguy and Bai Hu, thanks for your replies!

I got my form directly from the scholarship website, not the dutch representative office or any other, and there is a field to specify the amount of time. It’s here: taiwanscholarship.moe.gov.tw/web/engb02-03.html

Bai Hu, I think two references is what they mean. 4 is quite a lot for a scholarship application!

Oh, and Drake and Mrdonut thanks as well :slight_smile:

Application sent! Now I just have to get my health check done for my application to Wenzao… which apparently is going to cost at least $400 USD JUST for the chest X-ray (Thanks Obamacare!.. it was $250 last year… and the whole health check in Taiwan cost around 1000 NT or 34 USD :fume: ) The timeline for this scholarship and application process/cost sure isn’t very convenient for people living outside of Taiwan when the apply, even thought it’s for people living outside the country, because if I try to get a resident visa for a 12 month stay I would have to get ANOTHER health check because this one would be out of date by then… then again, I don’t know why I expected any government process to make sense/be convenient. If anyone has any good info on how to get a cheap health check in the US I would be much obliged!

jaydoxx - Yes, Mandarin majors are actually preferred. Applicants with TOCFL scores get top priority above those with out (like myself :frowning: ) The night markets I went to in Kaohsiung were more than I ever needed to eat haha, and there are a lot more than just two. Good luck with Wenzao! I’d be interested to hear how your application process goes with them… I’ve been having some communications issues with their CCL, not to mention the above issue with the health check. PM me and let me know how it goes :slight_smile: The spiders are huge… but not abondent in most places. I’d be more concerned with the Monkeys, although they are only pests in certain parts of the city… but one of them stole and smashed my phone last time I was in Taiwan HA! Made for a good story though!

bulgarianguy - I was told results are usually announced in mid/late May, but it depends on if your TECO does interviews or not.

I’ve sent my application in the end of February. Good luck to all :slight_smile:
I’ve also sent the application to the Language center, I applied at Fu Jen Catholic university center and I got admission, they have sent me the acceptance letter already. And I didn’t need to present a health check. But in Bulgaria it is also expensive…

Anyone know who the letters of recommendation should be addressed to (in the San Francisco office)?

I would also like to give a bis thumbs up for Wenzao in Kaohsiung. I have never studied there as a student, however I have visited many times to take Chinese tests and I have always enjoyed my time there.

Hey! Anyone else applying from Canada? Does anyone know how long it takes for them to decide and whether or not they do interviews? I can’t seem to find much information online. Good luck!

Hi Ella. I am not applying in Canada, but in Europe. I am wondering the same. Drake said it could be in May, depends on the Office. I hoped to get the results this month, I am very impatient to know what’s gonna happen.

On Tuesday of this week my TECO (in Houston, TX, USA) posted this message. I can only assume that other TECOs will be working on around the same timeline.

[quote]The 2014 MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) Application is now CLOSED.
All applicants will be notified of the review committee’s decision by May 30, 2014.[/quote]

moetw.org/2013/05/2013-moe-h … rship.html

hello fellow UK applicants!

In case you missed it, Olivia (the super nice lady at the Taiwan Rep Office) sent an email out late on Friday saying that they’ll start contacting people for interviews, and that they “hope to have answers by the end of the month” does this mean whether we are offered the scholarship, or simply confirming she’ll have an answer as to when we’ll have the tel interview?

Excited but nervous! Got into NTU, would be a dream come true to win the HES too :slight_smile:

[quote=“jolinstan”]hello fellow UK applicants!

In case you missed it, Olivia (the super nice lady at the Taiwan Rep Office) sent an email out late on Friday saying that they’ll start contacting people for interviews, and that they “hope to have answers by the end of the month” does this mean whether we are offered the scholarship, or simply confirming she’ll have an answer as to when we’ll have the tel interview?

Excited but nervous! Got into NTU, would be a dream come true to win the HES too :slight_smile:[/quote]

I’m a UK applicant but haven’t received this email from Olivia nor anyone else at BACS. Does this mean I’ve been unsuccessful? :cry:

I was never particularly hopeful given that I haven’t taken a TOCFL test but I would have liked an email to confirm whether I’ve been considered or not. I also got into NTU but I’m unsure if I’d be able to afford to go and study without the scholarship.

Hi.
I’ve also applied for the HES scholarship through BACS and I’ve had two emails so far. One from the BACS coordinator confirming they had received my application, and the email that jolinstan mentioned from Olivia.

[quote=“jolinstan”]does this mean whether we are offered the scholarship, or simply confirming she’ll have an answer as to when we’ll have the tel interview?
[/quote]I understood that email to mean they will begin contacting us this week regarding whether we’ve been successful or not. I’m guessing you applied for the 12 month scholarship too, jolinstan? The way I read it, it seemed like she was saying the people who applied for 12 months would be contacted first as they would still have to go through the telephone interview process.
Nev, did you receive the email from the BACS coordinator saying they’d received your application?