Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2018-2019

Thanks!!! Hope you find out soon, too!!

Congratulation!

Hey, man. Yeah, Iā€™m heading over in late August to the MTC. Canā€™t wait.

Hell yeah, dude! I got mine from the same office a few days ago too. Hyped.

Itā€™s 25,000 NTD, so about $850 USD a month

I know Iā€™m joining in late but Iā€™m of Taiwanese descent (my mom is Taiwanese) and I got the scholarship for 3 months. I had a friend, both of her parents were Taiwanese, and she got the scholarship for 9 months.

IMO, the selection criteria is pretty arbitrary. You have a shot no matter what. I have no idea why some people get it and others donā€™t.

Yes, that was my case and I got the scholarship. In fact, I was living in Taipei when I applied, although I did fly back to visit my family and applied while in the States for a few weeks.

nice! Did you apply for 3 months or 12?

Do they decide the length?

I applied for 12 months and got 3. I think I got less due to the fact that I was of Taiwanese descent AND was living and working in Taiwan at the time of my application. However, I canā€™t complainā€¦ because I at least got the scholarship, even if it was for less than what I was hoping.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I just heard back and I was awarded 9 months. Iā€™m thinking of studying at National Sun Yat Sen University in Kaohsiung. My friend said itā€™s better to study in a smaller city as it will force you to speak Mandarin as there are less English speakers there. I tried to look for reviews online but it only shows the one in China. Anyone know about NSYSU? I know a lot of people study at NTNU insteadā€¦ But I just want to make sure I look at all options before selecting one.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

A

National Sun Yat Sen is an amazing university - itā€™s location on a cliff near the beach in Kaohsiung is absolutely beautiful. You will love spending time there!!

Iā€™ve heard the Chinese program there is very intense, which may or may not be a good thing for you! NSYSU was my first choice, but unfortunately, I will still be working my job from back home (remotely) while studying in Taiwan, so I have chosen National Kaohsiung Normal University because I heard their teachers are very understanding of those who work and are busy, and therefore donā€™t give out as much homework. Not very ideal, but I figured as long as Iā€™m in Taiwan and having an opportunity to study, it will be worth it no matter what school I go to.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the feedback!

NSYSU is making me do a health check form. Asks me to do chest xray for TB and other stuff. I asked someone else whoā€™s done the program and they were never asked to do it. Did anyone experience the same thing? Itā€™s annoying because it takes 2 weeks to get blood results . I need admissions letter before the end of the month!

National Kaohsiung Normal University asks for the health check as well, but I asked them and they said I can wait until I am in Taiwan this fall to do it. Basically, it would just need to be done before I start classes. They were able to process my application without it for now - so maybe you should just ask NSYSU if they can wait. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s mandatory that anyone studying at an approved Chinese Learning Centre in Taiwan needs the health check.

Howdy! Anyone applying through Houston get any feedback yet?

I heard back and apparently was placed on the ā€œalternate listā€. Iā€™m not sure what that means, but I think itā€™s where dreams go to die.

I applied for the 9 months, but I only got 3 months. I asked them to see if they can extend it to a longer duration and I think someone in the group of students they gave the scholarship to declined it so they gave me 9 months. I am super excited for them being very accommodating and sweet! I am studying at MTC in the fall (want to be in the city). Super stoked.

Applied for 12 months, got it. Iā€™m going ntue Clec! Iā€™m pretty exited, bought the ticket already. I fly at aug 20 from hungary

So I was 5th in line on the alternate list but got a 3-month after all! Dreams really do come true.

Hey @caspian, Iā€™m wondering if you told or mentioned that you were of Taiwanese descent. I have one parent who is a national and I have a passport (no residency), but I made the mistake of asking the question to the person you submit your application to. I would still like to apply - do you think that rule about being a Taiwanese national counts? Or did you just not mention it? Do they check? How did you get around it? Thanks so much!

I mentioned that Iā€™m of Taiwanese descent in my application but I made it clear that I spent the vast majority of my life in the US.

I donā€™t think that the rules are hard and fast. The basic idea is that if you wouldnā€™t have studied Chinese in Taiwan if it wasnā€™t for the scholarship, youā€™re more likely to get it.

I know someone who got the scholarship and both of her parents were Taiwanese. But she had never been to Taiwan. So, the scholarship brought her to Taiwan. Thatā€™s what theyā€™re looking to do.

In my case, I was already living in Taiwan but I wouldnā€™t have studied Chinese if it wasnā€™t for the scholarship. Thatā€™s why I got it.

Find a way to market yourself why the scholarship is really important to bringing you to Taiwanā€¦ and what amazing things youā€™ll do if you study Chinese in Taiwan