Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2019-2020

That possibility is very exciting; I’m afraid of not knowing anyone at the school! I’ll also let you know if I hear anything! I hope that you hear some good news, since your going is contingent on receiving the scholarship.

@silke yes there is so little on the selection process, and also on the application process, and the scholarship itself! I found out about the scholarship randomly long after I decided I wanted to study at NTU and nearly missed the deadline!

On my form it didn’t even ask how many sessions i want to sign up for, so i dont know how you would add any…

@Shuangmaotai call your office, thats what i did, they told me should get back to successful applicants by email in early July…

@brap When I told my mom about this scholarship and I said they still have yet to get back to me and seem to be nearly unreachable, she was like, “are you sure it’s a real scholarship and not a scam? they say they’re the government, but maybe you got fooled?” :joy::joy:

The form for NY-Teco had lengths of time: summer, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months. I checked off 6 months. I’ve also read, I think on this forum, about people getting less than what they asked for?

@brap July?! Aww hell no. TECO-NY’s instructions form names today as the announcement date. I’m hoping they’re running days and not months behind (or that it arrives in the mail tomorrow, since I live less than 2 miles from their office). But it sounds like your application form/process is pretty different from ours. Why NTU?

@silke You can’t blame her, it DOES sound too good to be true. I only applied for 3 months. I found the same stories you mentioned and figured if gave me the best odds. I’m sure not knowing anyone won’t be a problem. You’ll be starting with a bunch of people in the same situation. Maybe TECO-NY puts recipients in touch/brings them in for a group photo? But if we both get it, at least we each know one person who’ll be starting at the same time.

Yes sorry i should have said each office has different deadlines, so its July just for me.
I really hope I didn’t miss anything in my form, but I did check it carefully so it should be fine.

Initially I wanted to go to Feng Chia, because the university and the living costs are dirt cheap.
But after being in Taipei and Taichung I just wanted to live in Taipei.
I chose NTU because it has a good reputation, smaller classes (just one person less but still…) and good facilities. However it is the most expensive one, so if I don’t get the Huayu I’m gonna have to very careful, and also try to get a job, Visa permitting

It will be my 3rd time in Taiwan, the other 2 were one week holidays, looking forward to it

@Shuangmaotai Even if I don’t get it, if you do, you’ll still know someone starting at the same time!

@brap Does the visa permit you to get a job??

In certain cases you may be able work, i dont remember the details, so dont ask lol.
However i think that getting the scholarship might limit your options, it would be a good problem to have!! :rofl:

Sounds like @brap will be arriving before me, but knowing someone who’s already a few months in surely has its own benefits.

As of 4PM Monday, still no mail or email. Same for you both, @silke and @brap? In 3 hours I have my weekly Chinese class, 6 blocks from TECO. Maybe I’ll stop by and ask what gives.

Yes, still nothing! :joy: I called again and still no one picked up, and nobody’s responded to my email.

(If you’re comfortable with sharing, @Shuangmaotai, I’m curious to know where you take Mandarin, and/or at what level! I don’t know any Mandarin classes around that area)

@silke - Sent you a DM :upside_down_face:

Has anyone applied to the Boston office? @Shuangmaotai @silke Did the NY TECO office require you to interview for the scholarship? If so how long ago did you interview? Thanks :slight_smile:

My office will contact the winners in July, so not expecting anything till then. I would say keep calling they’ll answer eventually.

Im already mentally prepared to not get it, so everything is a bonus :laughing:

@wanhengli Hi, I don’t know about @Shuangmaotai but nobody contacted me for an interview! (Did you have to interview?)

Hey @wanhengli. No interview. I submitted my application, emailed to ask if it was received, received a response confirming that it was, and haven’t heard anything since. Did Boston?

@brap Oh right, you’re not expecting to hear yet. Well I have my fingers crossed for you for July!

Yes I submitted my application late march, was asked for an interview in late April, and interviewed in early May. The lady I interviewed with said to expect to hear back in late May so here I am…

Was the interview in person? are you able to share what they asked you?

Yes in-person interview at the TECO office, they mostly focused on why I wanted to learn Mandarin and why in Taiwan, how I would deal with potential culture shock, and how I’ve dealt with challenges in professional and academic settings in the past.

1 Like

Cheers mate, well its only the 20th so plenty of time to go, I’d say its definitely a very good sign they called you for the interview.

I don’t even live in the country of my TECO office, so hopefully I can do it over the phone! anyway i’ll cross that bridge when i get there!

Thanks, given the other replies in this thread it seems like a good amount of TECO offices might not even do interviews at all so I wouldn’t worry if I were you, Best of luck.

Thanks, worst case i’ll jump on an early plane and do a day trip.
What term did you apply for by the way? and will you go even if you don’t get the scholarship?