Huayu Enrichment Scholarship ANXIETY

Hello! I just applied for the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship, and I am feeling so nervous while waiting for the results. I have a few questions regarding the application process:

1. How competitive is the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship for the Los Angeles TECO? Around when do you hear back?
  2. If I emailed them with a detail that I forgot to include on my scholarship, would that decrease my chances of getting it? (I forgot that I had taken a year of Chinese in middle school and told them that I had not taken Chinese classes until university on my application)
  3. Does anyone have experience with reapplying to the scholarship after not getting it?

Thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

Relax, go for a walk, visit the beach if this is possible.

Worrying about this sort of funding will not increase your chances of receiving said funding.

I hope this works out.

Guy

1 Like

Hi, @bunny.

I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of these things, so all I can do is post some quotes and links.

These concern various dates when people expected or hoped to be informed:

From 2012:

From 2017:

From 2017:

From 2017:

From 2022:

This webpage, which you may already know about, seems to have some eligibility criteria (I hope this is the right page):

TAFS-Application-MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship

I hope this helps, or at least doesn’t cause any harm.

–Charlie

1 Like

I was a HUAYU recipient a few years back (pre-COVID). When the day comes, the TECO will publish a list on its website (News section or equivalent). Let’s say that the scholarships available for this year are 5 (just a random number), the first 5 people on the list will be personally notified via e-mail with instructions on how to proceed further. If you are nr. 6 or below you won’t receive any e-mail. However, if for example nr. 2 and nr. 3 renounce (more common that one would think), nr. 6 and nr. 7 will then become eligible and receive the e-mail. So don’t take an initial rejection as a no but wait. The e-mail might come eventually, even a few weeks before the official start (mid August if I’m not wrong).

Knowing the Taiwanese, I’m 99.9% sure that the detail that you added via e-mail will be ignored. That being said, I don’t think that a year of basic Chinese in middle school would have increased your chances anyway. So relax.

You can reapply as many times as you want. They are unlikely to remember your previous applications and if your profile has improved in the meanwhile, why not.

1 Like