Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Applicants 2010-2011

So the deadline was yesterday March 31, 2010. Curious to see how many forumosans applied for the scholarship. I visited home in January-February and did all the paperwork while I was in the states. Now its a long 3 month wait till we find out the decisions. So lets have a roll call of all 2010-2011 applicants.

I’d also like to hear from former recipients of the scholarship. Where did you apply from? Which school did you attend? Were any of your classmates scholarship recipients as well?

-Valor

Hey Valor, I sent my info. off to the office in Canada about a month ago, I’ve been told that we’d get the results by the end of April…maybe it’s different in the States? I’m hoping my chances aren’t hurt too much by sending in my papers directly from Taiwan as I hear one of their main goals is to attract foreigners coming from their home countries, not ones already residing in Taiwan. Oh well, wait and see.
Where do you plan to be studying at? My application was for Jingyi University in Taichung, although I may possibly change it to Tunghai in Taichung.

Good luck!

Rob

Hey rob. TECO in Houston, Tx said I’d know the results before the end of June. So I suppose I could find out sooner but I’m not holding my breath. I think I put together a pretty competitive package for my application, but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed. I’ll most likely be studying at Nation Chiao Tung University(NCTU) in Hsinchu. Just because my wife is teaching English here and we’ve been here for almost 2 years so this is where our life is. I think the program at NCTU is just mediocre. I took a class there when I first came but I wasn’t all that impressed.

I also applied. I did the Taiwan scholarship as well as the enrichment one. I believe we will find out our results sooner. Probably sometime late April, early May. At least this is what I have been told.

Good luck!

Propensity where did you apply from? Are you in Taiwan or in your home country? I sure hope we find out sooner than later. A decision before June would be great so I can plan my life accordingly haha. What do you all plan on doing if you don’t get the scholarship?

It was actually written right on the application form that we would hear the results by the end of April…I guess yours didn’t say that.
If I don’t get the scholarship I will likely still move into Taichung, probably get a teaching job with as few hours as possible, and concurrently study full-time at a Chinese language centre.

I guess they do things differently in Houston. I checked the application again and nothing about decisions being made before April. I read the English guidelines and nothing. So I checked out the Chinese Guidelines and found where it said decisions will be made before June 31, 2010. Oh wells, guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

I too applied for the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship. I actually found out about it quite recently so I had only a few days to prepare everything and send it off. Even harder to do since I’m living in France now. I ended up turning it in a day after the due date, so we’ll see how it goes. I had terrible grades in high school too :confused: Here’s hoping!

Oh, and I spoke with the person at Washington D.C.'s branch and he said that we should have the results within the month. Someone else I saw on the net who has received it got his on the 24th. Good luck to us all! 台灣 ftw!

What does “ftw” mean? Just curious…

Wow, they make decisions quick. I hope I find out this month like the rest of you.

And ftw mean for the win. Haha it’s a very common saying when you play online games. For example your mage casts a firebolt and kills the enemy. You can then say firebolt ftw!

Applying out of the United States. I live there and I send the application from one of the feeder states to the Houston CUL TECO.

If i do not get the scholarship, i might be able to secure some scholarships here in the states or I will find a job. I will have an undergraduate degree in Finance.

Propensity, we both applied to the same TECO so it looks like we’ll be competing against each other haha. Did you have to include two letters of recommendation? I originally thought I didn’t have to but I sent one from my old professor anyway. After I mailed everything they e-mailed me and said I needed TWO letters to complete my application. I was under the impression that they were only needed for the Taiwan Scholarship and not the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship.

Indeed, I included both. What will you be studying if you get the scholarship? Will you be undergrad or masters?

Oh I applied for the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship. I’m not interested in another undergrad degree or getting my masters just yet. I only want to study Chinese full time for a year. I was under the impression that applicants for the Huayu Enrichment scholarship didn’t have to provide letters of recommendation, but I guess I was wrong.

After this year of studying Chinese full time (hopefully) I’m going back home and doing another undergrad degree in computer science. If I stay here any longer it will be harder for me to leave. Life is too good here haha.

I applied…but I was slightly retarded and didn’t even realize that the deadline was coming up until last Friday - 2 days too late :’(

I sent out my application out via Fedex on Monday. When I called the TECO here in the States, they said that they would still take the app, but that I would be put on the bottom rung of a waiting list and probably would not have any chance at all to get the scholarship.

Oh well, I think I’ll still go back to Taiwan, even without the scholarship, just as long as I can scrap together enough funds for the plane ticket by the time fall comes.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

[quote=“valor”]Oh I applied for the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship. I’m not interested in another undergrad degree or getting my masters just yet. I only want to study Chinese full time for a year. I was under the impression that applicants for the Huayu Enrichment scholarship didn’t have to provide letters of recommendation, but I guess I was wrong.

After this year of studying Chinese full time (hopefully) I’m going back home and doing another undergrad degree in computer science. If I stay here any longer it will be harder for me to leave. Life is too good here haha.[/quote]

Awesome! What is your first undergrad degree in?

For me, it was a similar rational. I applied for the Taiwan Scholarship with the LEP program and for the Huayu Scholarship as well. All of the MBA programs are taught in English, which would defeat my intention of learning Chinese. I figure, I will get another undergrad degree, learning Chinese trial by fire in the class room.

Hey Propensity. My first degree was in political science/history. I originally planned to teach social studies and move into admin one day, but I started programming for fun recently and really enjoy it. If I could get paid to sit at a computer all day and program that would be great, because to tell u the truth that is all I’m doing with my free time right now for fun.

Who knows maybe if my Chinese gets good enough I’ll do a computer science degree here. I know NCTU has a great engineering/computer science program and some classes are even offered in English. I guess we’ll see.

Valor, let me know what results you get. I am anxious to find out what I will be doing next year.

Sure thing. I’m anxiously waiting here. If we get results before the end of this month it’s less than 2 weeks till we hear something!

Does anyone know how they will contact us about the results? Will we first get an email from them or do we have to check our postal mailboxes daily? Also, will we hear from them if we get rejected or only if we are being offered the scholarship?