Huayu Scholar for 2020/21: Queries

Right, that’s fair enough. Olivia’s comms are very friendly! Shameabout the narrow margins, had you bought plane tickets or anything?

Hello guys!

Has anyone heard about the recent updates on entering Taiwan? Did your TECO offices contacted you with the process to get the visa?

There isn’t much info yet but I read that the students will enter in batches, although I don’t think there is a chance to be in time for the Fall term.

My school said last week they will send me the process as soon as its been finalised. However its been a week now and they haven’t responded to my emails.

Are people still waiting for their language center to send on the process?

NTU prestige means nothing.

Within a minute, the quality of your Chinese will be evident regardless of whether you blew all your money at ICLP at NTU, or you learned by yourself with the help of a significant other (and never spent a penny on a Chinese language school )

Finding a girlfriend who will teach you is key. Be sweet to her and you’ll get educated and romance both

At Shida, administrator on floor 6 demonstrated to me the relationship between student and teacher by showing a student should look skyward to God (as if teacher is a deity). I quit Shida soon thereafter. If you attend any school that has this attitude (we teachers are God), it will likely sour you on learning Chinese. If you actually believe as schools want you to, getting your money is easier for them. When attending any school, make the minimum financial commitment so you can back out with little downside

Well that’s a bit harsh, but I can’t say I necessarily disagree. You’ll get out of your Chinese training what you put in, but most people I know here end up realizing they’re learning more from practicing on their own (doing homework/prepping for class. obviously local friends help too) than they learn in the classes themselves. The problem is that you really need a balance. I don’t have one, but it’s something I think about. My spoken Chinese is very very good but my reading and writing are increasingly less…good. Sometimes I think a language intensive is exactly what I need to kick me into high gear and really focus on my reading and writing. The problem with language schools here is that they rarely have any concept of how to teach a second language, let alone what a non-Chinese speaker needs to learn the language well. And I hear constant stories about the total (insert expletive) that is shida’s management/treatment of students…

Caveat emptor