Huge age difference on this board and PTT or does the culture result in vastly different topics?

Not sure any cross over between the two message boards but want see what others observations are besides mine? Seems on PTT there more talk about life, relationships, dating/sex and money. On this board a lot about political issues (seems what most of posts are on). Is it because the age differences (PTT seems mostly in 20/30’s age) and here I guess much older or just differences in Culture or just maybe it seems lots men here? Nothing good or bad, just was thinking a lot more different besides the language.

2 Likes

PTT is overwhelmingly male too.

Forumosa has not been famous for being “overwhelmingly female”!

But yes, this site seems to have a lot of older folks with different priorities.

The “politics” stuff (some of which is highly uninteresting to me personally) can be muted by adjusting the settings to turn off some forums.

Then I get to read more about nice places in Kaohsiung, and less about other matters than are not so relevant to my life. :grin:

Guy

9 Likes

Both.

2 Likes

There are three terms in Pei-Hua / Connie’s list! It can’t just be “both.” :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

What’s PTT?

2 Likes

I do not mean the “politics” is bad, just find it interesting that so many topics and posting are on this topic here, so was thinking why is that. And I like your post haha.

1 Like

I guess many of them have no other outlet for the political stuff

1 Like
4 Likes

Lots of Americans here, with some (ahem) passionate beliefs. :upside_down_face:

Guy

5 Likes

It’s like Forumosa, but they talk more about life, relationships, dating/sex and money.

6 Likes

Kind of Taiwanese version on this message board but not exactly the same. Lots of people in their 20’s use it (What it seems to me but could be a bigger age range as its been around a long time).

2 Likes

I happened to talk to my student about it the other day, he mentioned that a lot of tech people use it and it is a good place to get help on such things.

1 Like

Aren’t they mostly serving different demographics? I don’t mean so much age, but rather culture of origin: my impression is forumosa is mostly (not entirely of course!) people for whom Mandarin Chinese isn’t a native language (and so lots of foreigners), whereas PTT is more for native speakers of Mandarin. Forumosa is mostly people who didn’t grow up in Taiwan; PTT is more people who did grow up in Taiwan.

But I may be totally wrong about what PTT is.

4 Likes

Ha, sounds like a good observation to me.

1 Like

Yes, can be both, all three or none of them. After reading the replies, it seems older Americans who have limited outlets to talk about politics (Taiwanese might not be too much interested I guess so makes sense)

Taiwanese do not discuss american politics? Stop the presses! seriously, no surprises there.
Now do they discuss their own politics? If not, why not? because they are not old men??

Not anymore. It’s mostly 30-40 now.

PTT is very political as well, and extremely trolly, racist, sexist, homophobic, rude, and politically incorrect. The largest boards are appalling troll farms. This site is a million times more pleasant and civilised even with all the Donald Trump arguments and complaints about food in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Damn, you make it sound like a fun place now.

But really, why would anyone want to use such an ancient interface format? That’s the crap we used when we still had 56k dial-up.

It’s retro.

2 Likes