Huge age difference on this board and PTT or does the culture result in vastly different topics?

So are handlebars, but I wouldn’t wear one.

1 Like

So if we already have a life, relationship, sex and money, we just hang out here then? That makes me feel a bit satisfied i dont know what ptt is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pa Tai Tai.

Fear the wife!

4 Likes

That’s exactly the appeal. PTT is both retro (as Gain observed) and also mystifying to use for outsiders!

Guy

1 Like

So it’s the sadomasochistic version of chatting. Got it. :ok_hand:

I’ve always wondered what the purpose of troll farms are on PTT. I get that in the USA, many troll accounts exist to sway public opinion. But in Taiwan what is the purpose of that?
Maybe chinese bots? Or are they just local guys saying stuff knowing they are anonymous

Boring techo observation but my guess is the database is inextricably coupled with the BBS software PTT is using, and it is insanely difficult or perhaps impossible to to migrate it to a cloud database for serving up in a modern web page.

I still think quite a few uni age students use it (based on questions and comments), and yes many in ㄍage range also of 30 to 40. What I meant to say was many users in the 20’s (20-29) and 30’d (30-39)ㄍ This message board seems no have many people in that age range it seems to me but I may be wrong.

And PTT does have political topics but here seems the percentage of political postings is quite a bit higher. Sample list of topics by popularity (In English) 熱門看板 - 批踢踢實業坊

That’s not a list of topics. That’s individual boards sorted by popularity. The most popular one (Gossiping) is basically all politics.

There are fewer users in the 20s because it’s impossible to register anymore, unless you have an @ntu.edu.tw email. 20 year-olds use Dcard more, and that site is just as embarrassing.

1 Like

We used to have more of them.

I don’t use PTT. Asides from all chinese, it’s 1980s technology. Probably from way back when people dialed in and used it that way, then migrated to TELNET and all that.

That and PTT comments seems not different than all the comments I see from YAHOO news (which is again, another legacy platform). Meaning lots of toxic comments, trolls, etc.

If you ever talk politics on PTT it would be lots of comments like how Taiwan is paying protection money to America buying weapon systems, etc. and all that. Used to look at it to see what military life was supposed to be like.

Ok, so I edited it to “Sample list of topics by popularity (In English)” Just wanted show a “sample” list of topics.

1 Like

I thought it would be a good way to beef up my Chinese, but without the browser add-ons I’m kind of screwed. Plus Gain scared me off with his comment, worse than all the obnoxious “quotation replies” here? Jaysus…

There are many phone/computer apps available for the access.

You are not missing anything. Believe me.

2 Likes

So I guess PTT was administered by NTU? Kinda like news.cc.utexas.edu I used to use to access USENET (which nobody uses anymore).

1 Like

Even though the web was invented in the 1990s. :rofl:

Dial up BBSes dude, they operated without the web.

3 Likes

The site is far from a BBS of the time and the site is more akin to a forum than it is a BBS.

Sites get updated. Software gets updated. Security gets updated. Is me using Windows 10 considered ‘90s Technology’ because Windows NT, the kernel Windows 10 is based on, originated in the early 90s?

Android is 90s tech. It uses the linux kernel from 1991.

Yea I remember when I was a kid I used to dial up to BBSes. While WWW existed it was not well known and they had services like America Online, Compuserve, Prodigy, etc. that sometimes offered web access. BBS definitely predates WWW.

Me too. I remember I impersonated the sysop of a local BBS on the public “wall”, because I was just being a little smart ass. He traced my call and called our house and threatened to kill me. Noted for future pranks, turn caller identification off when calling BBSes.