Huge oil spill in the Mediterranean

There is now a huge oil spill in the Mediterranean Sea because Israel bombed a power plant in Lebanon! This is definitely the worst ecological disaster ever in the Mediterranean. And no other countries can send help to Lebanon to clean up the oil spill because Israel has blockaded the whole coast of Lebanon!

Read the details about it here:

dailystar.com.lb/article.asp … e_id=74353

The mediterranean sea is too dirty for swimming anyway.
And in Taiwan you will not get any fish from that regioin.

This sounded sort of familiar…did some research and this turned up…
“In Byblos, Lebanon’s ancient Phoenician port, oil from the Iranian-suppied Hisb’allah-fired Silkworm missile that missed its Israeli target, then hit an Egyptian tanker and set it ablaze.”

I do not know if this is connected to the OP.

This is a really a terrible environmental disaster. Up until now, the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska has been the largest oil spill in history, with 35 million gallons of oil spilled. But I don’t know how to convert gallons of oil to tonnes, so I’m not sure whether or not the current oil spill in Lebanon is bigger than the Exxon Valdez oil spill. But in any case, 15,000 tonnes (15 million kilograms) is a heck of a lot of oil!

I can’t find any news source which says this wasn’t the result of Israel bombing an oil depot at a power plant. Sources?

Lord Lucan,

You’re right. I did a Google News search, and I found 98 websites that say that the oil spill was caused by Israel bombing a power plant at Jiyeh during the first few days of the war. I couldn’t find a single website that says that the oil spill was caused by any other reason.

Also I noticed that almost all of the major U.S. news websites (CNN, Fox News, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) never mentioned the oil spill!

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]Lord Lucan,
You’re right. I did a Google News search, and I found 98 websites that say that the oil spill was caused by Israel bombing a power plant at Jiyeh during the first few days of the war. I couldn’t find a single website that says that the oil spill was caused by any other reason.
Also I noticed that almost all of the major U.S. news websites (CNN, Fox News, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) never mentioned the oil spill![/quote]Mark -
I also did a ‘Google’ search on this a day or so ago, when I posted above, and it seems that buried in the origianl release - I think dated 28 Jul 2006, buried in the release is a statement that this spill was the result of a Hezzbollah missle hitting an Egyptian oil ship. It quotes several wywwitnesses and also mentions an Egyptian sailor on the ship being killed by the missile.
I have also seen comments regarding the spread pattern of the oil indicating this typifies a spill occuring at sea - close to shore - but still at sea. Rather than leakage from an on shore oil terminal strike.

Points for consideration.

Tainan Cowboy,

Could you please state your source.

Mark

Why don’t they just go ahead and use the nukes. Then it will be over and done with. :noway: