Human Rights in Taiwan, GIO website

This will be an association which primarily deals with the human rights problems of disadvantaged persons in Taiwan, with a particular emphasis on foreigners’ problems.

Account number: 150-10-021861
Taiwan Kairos Association Preparatory Office
Bank: First Commercial Bank, Nei-Hu Branch
No. 183 Cheng Kung Road, Sec. 3
Taipei, Taiwan
Swift Code FCBKTWTP
Bank telephone: 2793-2311, ext. 139

(The account number is eleven digits.) If there are any questions or problems with making a remittance, you may call the bank directly.

This posting is in response to the previous inquiry asking for the complete banking data of this Association.
Taiwan Kairos Association Preparatory Office
FAX: (02) 2792-6545

Give Us Liberty Or Give Us American Passports!

“A strong feeling spreading over the land in favor of colonial expansion [is] getting so strong that it will mean the political death of any man to oppose it pretty soon.”

Chauncey Depew, New York Central railroad tycoon, addressing Republican stalwarts, May 17, 1898

quote:
Originally posted by millow: I am very interested in getting activly involved with an organization focused on human rights (most specially labour rights and work discrimination).

If any of you can forward me the information of someone or an organization in Taipei (please) I could join I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Cristina

Cristina:
Please get in touch with me by clicking “MSG” above. Let me know your e-mail address and/or phone number.

Maybe visitors to this thread can post information about human rights organizations in Taiwan that members of the forumosa.com community should become actively involved with . . . . . .

Suggestions anyone??

I’m so tired of being sexually harrassed by my male students (elementary and junior high). My loaban’s view: “Oh, you should see it as a compliment. They think you are very sexy. That’s why you are so popular.” I don’t want to be popular because I am sexy. I want to be popular because I’m a good and committed teacher. I have blondish hair and green eyes, but I don’t consider myself as a looker and I never wear tight clothes.

After three years and three months of teaching in Taiwan, I have had it. The male students always try to touch my butt and breasts. They make suggestive sounds, they show how big (not really big) my breasts are. I have to hear about “lampa”, “LP (ELLOPEE)”, “boo-boo’s”, “I want to fuck you” in my classes daily.

Yesterday I complained to my “loaban” again. He took the student outside and took the rod with him. The student came back all smiles into the classroom. After class my loaban asked me what’s the big deal?

But what will it help if I change schools? Are they all the same? It feels for me if I’m teaching a bunch of sexually frustrated hooligans here in the South. My school is in a small poor village in Tainan County. How about the other female teachers? Do you have the same experiences?

What are the laws for sexual harrassment in Taiwan? Can anyone please give me some advice on how I should handle this situation. I’m fed up.

[quote]Maybe visitors to this thread can post information about human rights organizations in Taiwan that members of the forumosa.com community should become actively involved with . . . . . .

Suggestions anyone??[/quote]
I called the Community Center in Tien Mue asking for assistance and was told that they are legally bound from offering certain types of assistance, basically anything that has even the slightest political overtones and their limited resources restrict them to Taipei.
The Taiwan Association for Human Rights seems to be the preferred choice but they are of course firmly aligned with the DPP government and walk a very fine line between supporting Human Rights and supporting the current administration.
The Chinese Association for Human Rights seems to do more to help immigrants but that is because they are in the opposition or KMT camp and will do anything to attack the current administration.
In the end, immigrants in Taiwan who do not have ROC citizenship are ignored, if they are lucky.

I am sorry to say that much of the information in this thread is out of date. In fact, I am currently unable to find any GIO website related to human rights in Taiwan. Perhaps someone can locate the current information or webpages.

I formerly mentioned a “Taiwan Kairos Association Preparatory Office” in this thread, but my efforts in that direction were later merged into other organizations. I am currently working with the Taiwan Civil Government which has regular conferences in Taoyuan, and is coordinating with various US government agencies on a regular basis.

However, as for the current situation regarding Human Rights in Taiwan, I suppose we still have a long way to go. As a starting point, I suggest that the forumosa.com community could assist in updating this Wiki page – en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Taiwan

The government has the very bad practice of not keeping its URLs stable. Even content disappears, though usually for no good reason.

But it may be that the reason for the disappearance of the old material is that the present administration has its own ideas about human rights. For example, if one looks at the human rights page (dated 2010/5/27) on the GIO’s Taiwan Government Entry Point site, one may find the following photo and caption:

“Senior citizens from an elderly care center stay fit and active through growing vegetables.”

Does that reassure everyone about the state of human rights in [strike]Taiwan[/strike] the Republic of China?

I leave Taiwan for a few years and human rights becomes a couple of grandpas fooling around with their garden. And they are not even farming dope (medical mary jane for the California folks). It is good to see that in my 3 and a half year absence that all of Taiwan’s human rights problems; the death penalty, police abuse, shitty indigent defense system, judicial half wittedness and all the rest have been solved.

Well I do remember Prez Ma told me one time, way back when he and I were just lads and he was Mayor of Taipei, that he “had always been a big supporter of Amnesty International and human rights”.

take care,
Brian

Welcome back, Brian.

I hope you’ll find time to post here again at least once in a while. I always enjoyed your acerbic assessments of Taiwan’s institutional foibles, festerings, febrilities and faiblesses.

Is 美國法律倫理 still selling well and making an impression here?

Good Morning Omniloquacious,
Yeah, I should get back to posting here from time to time. It is hard to believe I have been gone from the Old County for over three years now. I kind of miss it. What caused me to wander over here was a brief news item on Yahoo that mentioned that Ma had won a second term. That caused me to wonder how things were back there.

As for how American law and famous books about American law are fairing that I don’t know. I remember about a year ago I had the big author heartbreak! Somebody was selling a copy of my witness examination book on Taiwan e-bay-----------for 50NT! I wept bitter tears, why couldn’t they have used it as a doorstop (it is a hardback after all) or let it collect dust on their shelf, but to sell it on Ebay for 50NT. But, we authors must be strong.

On a more serious note, I have completely fallen out of touch with Taiwanese legal development, human rights situation and the high profile cases (I guess Ex-Pres Chen is in prison??, is the latter day Madam Soong–i.e. Mrs. Chen Shui Bian—still dodging court appearances??).

In any event, I will try and get involved again. Hope all is well with you and your family.

take care,
Brian