I am an American looking for a job

So…do you label yourself as a Taiwanese or an American?

Umm, do I gotta choose one? Does it matter?

@Icon - Thanks for the massive post. Will take that into account

Yes it does…as a Taiwanese you need to play by local rules or are thinking like an expat and want to play by those rules.

Not sure astute, just want to find a non teaching job.

So what do you have to offer???

Best suggestion I have is start a blog about your situation and see where it leads…

In that case, work your guan xi.

Make it known to college friends, friends of college friends, mom’s friends, dad’s friends, aunt’s friends, uncle’s friends, that you’re looking for a job. Try not to mention you can work for less. Just tell them you’re looking for a job and let them know your work experience. Somebody knows somebody…who knows somebody that can help.

I have a degree in communications and 3 years of sales experience at a Lowe’s type of store, but I was shitty at it cause I am a shit salesperson.

Now that is going to be a problem. Employers here are wary of hiring Overseas compatriots for teaching English because the adogas are the sale point. That is why you have non-Natives teaching English… with terrible English skills, but beautiful angel faces: blue eyes, white skin. The prettier, the better. English is a business with a very bad product: the buxibans teach it so people can pass tests, so they keep them hooked to make them users long-term, like drugs. So their is always the next fashionable exam, the next fashionable gimmick.

As to local enterprises, if they see you as a local, you will get paid/treated as a local. If you thought you had it bad in the States, you have no idea how bad it is here. The economy in general is stalled. Stagnated systems, rising costs. No employee rights. If you come in as a local for a 22k salary, you will understand in your flesh why people are so hopeless. And I mean locals. Why they cannot marry, can’t afford kids. Why they are 30 years old or more living – or rather: surviving! – with their parents. Or else.

I know it is difficult as an Overseas abroad. I know they have built walls all around you. But you cannot bring that here. You need a plan. If you stay here, try to be in the most advantageous position. Use what you have to get ahead. Do not aim for the bottom, or you will be stuck. Reach higher. Communications, you say? Break into advertising, movie/entertainment. Heck, start at the English newspapers, the technical companies. Those salaries are not bad by local standards. Try the few international companies. Do not go into Mom and Pop enterprises paying 18k. The locals can’t stand it, why would you?

How about blogging about being an American Taiwanese (can reverse if you like) and the trials of fitting into the global work force, especially as it applies to Taiwan. It could lead to some valuable experience on blogging & SM, which inturn may lead to a corporate communication gig.

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Most of us have pretty thick skins.[quote=“lookingforajob, post:28, topic:157999”]
I do want to ask though why do you think Taiwanese are in desperate need of better English?
[/quote]
Not everybody, of course, but Taiwan does have an export-oriented economy, and English, for better or worse, is the language of international business. Taiwan is also stuck in a rather nasty middle income trap at the moment, and the only real way out is moving up the value chain and improved branding in international markets, which will require better English communication skills. And Taiwan’s continued existence as a country relies on the good graces of its allies and friends, especially the U.S., which, as you know, speaks English (sort of).

Maybe in the U.S., but not in Taiwan.[quote=“lookingforajob, post:28, topic:157999”]
Why don’t I want to live in the US? People told me to go back to my own country, so I did.
[/quote]
That sucks, but you’ll probably soon find that people in Taiwan won’t exactly treat you as one of their own either, which also sucks. At some point, you just have to develop a thick skin and get on with your life. Of course, where you end up feeling most comfortable is a personal choice.[quote=“lookingforajob, post:28, topic:157999”]
My parents are Taiwanese. I only have US citizenship. Native Speaker. Degree in communications.
[/quote]
If your parents are Taiwanese, you should be eligible for ROC citizenship. It may require a little military service, but that’s a job too, right?:slight_smile: I’d say your main strength now is your bilingual fluency. It’s not a job skill per se, but if you’re here for the long term and willing to work hard you will be able to find work.

[quote=“lookingforajob, post:28, topic:157999, full:true”]
My parents are Taiwanese. I only have US citizenship. Native Speaker. [/quote]

ROC nationality comes in different flavors, and if you are an ROC national without household registration you can choose to jump through a different set of hoops (instead of being a “foreigner”). Just look through the Dual Nationality category in the Legal forum or search for threads about household registration etc.

I do want to ask though why do you think Taiwanese are in desperate need of better English?

The doctor has a point. That and the fact that the education system is stuck in the past. :sleeping:

If you have three years of sales experience, its easy to find a sales job. Loads of companies need sales staff. Especially if you are willing to work for 50K. If you can speak Mandarin and sit in meetings, all the better.

https://104.com.tw/job/?jobno=57nb0&jobsource=n104bank1&hotjob_chr= Try here

Mostly, I’d say people here need proper English training because right now they waste million sof ntd and countless years of their lives -kids as young as one year old learning English, WTH!?- testing -since they are 6- and ending up with nothing but heartbreak as the English they learn does not even help them pass tests, least of all enjoy trips, read stuff in the original language published or in the language most other stuff is translated to, see movies or listen to songs and get the meaning.

It is as if I had to use the Internet and after paying expensive high end courses still couldn’t do a Google search.

BTW, Most people are only able to do a simple Google search. Ask anybody if they know how to use Google and you will hear a resounding Yes! of course I do. But follow up - so you find what ever you are looking for on the first page of results and the response is Nooooo!

It continues to amaze me that everyone thinks they are born with the one skill (effective web search) that can be used to learn almost anything. They will pay to learn a language, math, reading, writing, driving, etc., but pay to effective learn to actual FIND relevant information on the web - why should I do that?? Go figure…

Ah dear, it was just an example of an skill taken for granted. There are many kinds of Google search, and learning a few tips give syou an edge. As you say, it is not a matter of staying on the first page. I’d say, learn to use quotations, for instance. But it is just an example.

BTW, ther eare courses at buxiban for people to leran how to use their cellphones. Simple enough? Not really, if some details and shortcuts are revealed. Or course sfor shopping abroad. Ridiculous, you may think. Well, they charge money for that, and they give you ppointers that save money and time. But if they didn’t, you would be much displeased. These are course sthat take two hours. People would raise a fuss if no results are given. Why then people wouldn’t be more upset if they pay even more money and invest more time in English leassons that do not go anywhere? I complain a lot with my Chinese learning here. My money!

My point is if you master the skill of “web search” you wouldn’t necessarily need a live English teacher - you could easily find a plethora of learning materials on the web. And BTW, the buxiban model is soon to go the same way the trading companies have gone - out of business. Everyone now has a personal classroom in their pocket - adapt or die! :slight_smile:

They had a discussion about that topic recently. You may want to join:

1 Like

Yea…I saw that…the reason I bring it up here is to hopefully enlighten our friend lookingforajob on possible alternative opportunities if he just would take the time & develop the skills to effective look…he really should have no problem finding a job - but he is - why??

To be fair, he may not even have started his search yet. Unless futzing around on the Internet counts as job hunting.