I am being threatened. please, help!

I left the school! My boss came to my house tonight and told me that she would report to the police that I had been working for her. What can she really do??? I was working for her illegally, that’s true, but how can she prove it? She’s got some pictures of me with the kids, maybe someone of her coworkers can judge against me. But I didn’t sign anything while I was working for her. Is it enough to be deported? Please, help!

not very likely, she’d be in trouble too, to the tune of a large fine and a ban on hiring foreigners.

Judging from the police I’ve dealt with, if a bushiban owner came into a station and announced that he/she wanted to bust a person that he/she illegally employed, the initial response from the desk officer would be an informal “Get out of here before I bust your ass.”

BUT, if the cops and the bushiban have a little “professional arrangement” going, and if the cops do come calling, whatever you do, politely but firmly deny everything. Oh, and if you do insist on wasting your life teaching illegally, for heaven’s sake choose your bosses more carefully next time.

Lie low and stay at a friend’s house for a few days if it makes you feel more secure. You’ll know soon enough if Taiwan’s finest are on your tail, and then you can take appropriate measures.

In the meantime, why not name the bushiban and the boss?

This is becoming an increasingly common tactic - scare the foreign teacher with threats of deportation. I agree with zhujianlun, you should post the name of the school and the boss here.

[quote][quote=“Helen”]I left the school! My boss came to my house tonight and told me that she would report to the police that I had been working for her. What can she really do???
[/quote]

She can have your butt dragged down to the local foreign affairs police where they will talk about and to you in Chinese, filling out many forms while explaining to you in broken English that “It’s ok. No problem.” It’s not fun.

Full stop. Even so, was there an agreement to teach for a certain period of time?

Why? Why not just work for a school legally?

That would work.

I doubt that it will come to that. But yes, it could. And you could be blacklisted from getting ANY legal teaching job.

wha’happened wrote:[quote]
This is becoming an increasingly common tactic - scare the foreign teacher with threats of deportation. I agree with zhujianlun, you should post the name of the school and the boss here.[/quote][/quote]

I wonder if this became common before or after illegal foreign teachers started to up and quit without notice? Look, this is a two-way street. Both parties hold some blame. Schools should not hire illegal teachers. Teachers should not work for schools illegally.

Helen’s situation is exactly why not.

However, when the school tries to threaten you, they are way over the line. Name the school.

Above all, DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING.

What did you do to that woman? Now she doesn’t has a foreigner to display anymore … no foreigner means less students …

New York Kids School, Tina.

[quote=“zhujianlun”] Oh, and if you do insist on wasting your life teaching illegally, for heaven’s sake choose your bosses more carefully next time.
[/quote]
I’m not a native speaker, I can’t get the work permit. I am here on spouse visa.

I hope you can be more clear.

Where is the school? That would be the best information.

Thanks.

jdsmith
co-conut mod TEIT

I hope you can be more clear.

Where is the school? That would be the best information.

Thanks.

jdsmith
co-conut mod TEIT[/quote]
Sorry. I feel a kind of “lost in translation”:).
It’s in Hsinchu city. She’s got two schools, one is in the downtown, it’s buxiban, and the other one is kindergarten, in Jubej county.

You’re on a spouse visa. If your spouse is a Taiwanese national you don’t need a work permit. Therefore you weren’t working illegally. So you can cheerfully tell her to fuck off. That’s what the cops would do.

That’s an important “if.”

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“sandman”]You’re on a spouse visa. If your spouse is a Taiwanese national you don’t need a work permit. Therefore you weren’t working illegally. So you can cheerfully tell her to f*ck off. That’s what the cops would do.[/quote]That’s an important “if.”[/quote]Well…there’s the rub, eh?

She said in the post she was on a spouse visa. You could easily counter by saying you are going to the CLA as contrary to the labour law she has not paid your Lao Bao, Jian Bao (although you may have arranged this through your husband), she has not issued proper pay slips or paid tax etc etc. Why not get your husband to go down there with six or seven friends? She came to your house? Next time that happens call the police. All this is assuming you are here on a JFRV through your husband. Otherwise my advice would be to tell her to fuck off and grow up.

On illegal teachers: Been here a long time, not met many English teachers who were not at some time or another working illegally. I doubt the industry would function at all if everyone stuck to the letter of the law.

why did you leave in the first place? did you give the buxiban proper notice?

Oh, he isn’t, thanks god! I start hating Taiwanese… He is Ukrainian and he works here as a researcher in Hsinchu Science Park.
Anyway, I moved out and stay at my friend’s place for now. My ex-boss is looking for a new teacher. Maybe she’ll leave me alone…

Taiwan Foreign Labor Bureau ( Lau Gung Jyu -in Chinese )

Taichung Representative-- Mr. Arthur Hwang- 042225-0640

Arthuc Hwang can give you the name and number of the representative in your city.

JC

Oh, he isn’t, thanks god! I start hating Taiwanese… He is Ukrainian and he works here as a researcher in Hsinchu (Xinzhu) Science Park.
Anyway, I moved out and stay at my friend’s place for now. My ex-boss is looking for a new teacher. Maybe she’ll leave me alone…[/quote]

Don’t hate us all OK??? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dont think too much on it right now. Just take a break. I doubt your School will hardly report themselves in for knowingly hiring an illeagal teacher. The fine to the school could bt NT$150,000. Hardly worth it.

And then the FAP might start visitng her Kindergarten to look for other illegal teachers. All they need for that is for somebody to write them a letter.