I am coming to Taiwan in Febuary....what should I do?

Yes, as muchaman noted, there are tons of fish in Taipei’s rivers. In fact, I started a thread a couple of years ago on the subject, because I was struck by how incredibly nasty, foul and polluted the rivers are, yet they are teeming with fish, herons, egrets, turtles and other wildlife, even more than you would see in many clean, unpolluted settings and I found that a little odd.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63176&hilit=+polluted+river+fish

I think the consensus in that discussion was that, yes they are teeming with wildlife, but there’s less diversity and the species are strong ones that wipe out the weak.

But to the OP: we’re all being a little harsh. I’m sure if you head to the hills you can find good fishing spots, though I’d still not want to eat them (I know, you do CNR, so toxicity isn’t an issue).

It’s good that there is some life and some effort to look after what is there. It is amazing how ecosystems can recover given half a chance. It always reminds me of just how short a time we have been on this planet and how easily forgotton we will be when we are gone and the planet lives on.

I didn’t mean to get all self-righteous, I appologise, I love racing around on my Motorcycles just for fun and burning more than my fare share of fossil fuel (somethng else I want to do in Taiwan at some point in the future), but it’s a simple thing to put litter in the bin, dispose of our waste properly and keep the enviroment we live in clean and nice. Once we start letting the message get out that it is ok to litter and live in a mess what is the next generation going to do? They will have know shame about discarding shit and disrespecting all around. Taiwan has a respectful culture as far as I know and that is excellent. We have youth stabbing everybody, people robbing people and no respect or empathy for a fellow humanbeing, or the world we are lucky enough to live in.

Is this right?

I don’t understand the concept of catch and release. Sounds like torturing fish for fun. Don’t get me wrong - I have nothing against fishing for food. But a hooking a creature by the mouth, pulling it out of the water where it can’t breathe, then tossing it back in seems cruel.

[quote=“Fooligan 55”]Thanks all, very helpful.

I don’t expect the romance of a river runs through it, I live in London after all. However I expect that we are going to head out of town for the first week and I will be looking for some picturesqoe little streams and rivers.

For those of you who suggest leaving my rod at home, I can tell you that I am a very conciencious Angler, I operate catch and release wherever possible (some uk stocked waters do not allow this). I am very respectful of the fish and the enviroment they live in and in the U.K if it wasn’t for Anglers alot of the rivers would be in a very poor state. My local river the Wandle is regularly cleaned (every month we do a section) to keep the waters as healthy as we can. As a result of our efforts the trout are returning which is awsome. I only hope all countries realise that they need to protect their waterways, these are the vains of the land and educate those Anglers to respect them, love them and lookafter them for the generations to come.

I will be getting down to the area where the Fixies are ao thanks very much for the info Beardude.

Anymore helpful hints will be more than welcome. :slight_smile: :wink:[/quote]

its actually just a coincidence that the website is called beardude…no relation to me. i ride 27 speeds not one. :sunglasses:

I always thought those guys had escaped from fishing farms upriver during typhoons. :laughing:

Either that or they were raised by the woman who does catfish soup at the stand next to the bridge.

You should also be aware that many rivers and streams in mountain areas are now closed for fishing to try to give stocks a chance to recover. That said, you will see many Taiwanese exercising what they see as their god-given right to fish in Taiwan’s streams.

Often right next to the prominent signs warning of the heavy fines imposable for doing so. Unfortunately, I doubt if such fines have ever actually been imposed on any of these cursed vandal thieves.

Often right next to the prominent signs warning of the heavy fines imposable for doing so. Unfortunately, I doubt if such fines have ever actually been imposed on any of these cursed vandal thieves.[/quote]

Yes, it’s all very Taiwan.

This very hard to read website seems to indicate that some people have actually been fined for fishing in Shanmei Village, Alishan Township.

home.educities.edu.tw/coukuba/ne … htm023.htm

As anglers we are aware of this attitude, however if you were to actually research how we treat and respect the fish we Anlgle for (not fish for) you would realise the great care we take to not harm or stress the fish. Also we help with any damage a fish may have from preditors it has escaped from with specific antiseptics to prevent infection and aid recovery. We protect nurture and develop the enviroment to better cater for the fish needs and promote a wider range of species.

We don’t use barbaric relics of rods and hooks, all our tackle is set up to be as fish friendly so if it were to break off the Barbless hooks will easily be shed so the fish is not swimming around with line hanging out of it’s mouth and we alaways take our used lie home and dispose of it properly.

Catching small immature fish whacking them over the head for the sake of it as opposed to controlling your take, and size which is acceptable is the best way to manage the waters.
Trawling and killing fish by the millions and because of restrictions throwing half back already dead, that is cruel, shark finning for soup, that is the worst and I fo one will not eat in a restuarant in the UK if that is on the menu. I fear I will have little choice in Taiwan.

Only upscale traditional restaurants that cater to wedding banquets and the over-60 crowd have shark fin on the menu. You will be able to choose from thousands of other that do not serve it.

…plus recent research showed 80% of the so-called “shark fin” sold in Taiwan was actually tofu flavoured and texturized… DNA analysis showed that.

Go figure.

That is better, I was a little concerned but thank you for the reasurence.

Everyone has been very helpful indeed.
:slight_smile:

I wonder who this collective “we” refers to. I grew up fishing with my dad and uncles. And there wasn’t any antiseptic or barbless hooks involved. If they didn’t want to keep a fish they’d just rip the hook out of its mouth and throw it back in. The rest ended up on the dinner table. The latter I had no problem with; the former I found revolting. But that was the 80s - maybe things have changed.

I wonder who this collective “we” refers to. I grew up fishing with my dad and uncles. And there wasn’t any antiseptic or barbless hooks involved. If they didn’t want to keep a fish they’d just rip the hook out of its mouth and throw it back in. The rest ended up on the dinner table. The latter I had no problem with; the former I found revolting. But that was the 80s - maybe things have changed.[/quote]

The collective “we” refers to the modern educated angler that I associate with and consider myself to be. Things have change alot in the UK, apparently not so elsewhere. It’s not suprising how things have moved on as Angling is the number one sport in the UK.

This is now becoming boring. Thanks to all that had useful and helpful comments they were much appreciated.

Sorry, didn’t mean to distract from the topic. Since you’ll be in Taipei I strongly recommend visiting Yangmingshan National Park. You can get there easily by taking the MRT (subway/train) north from the city. When the Japanese occupied Taiwan they built some beautiful hotels around the natural hot springs in the area. Well their original purpose was a bit more sinister but now they’re hotels. :cool: You can arrange to take a guided tour and will have the opportunity to meet other travelers.

I think it would also be worth your while to visit the seaside town of Danshui, just north of Taipei. Again, it is accessible by the MRT if memory serves.

And definitely check out the Shilin Night Market in Taipei.

Have fun!

Excellent info, thank you :slight_smile:

Oh, and since you’re a photographer, I think you’ll enjoy the visual treats of Taipei’s temples. That site contains a list of several Buddhist/Daoist/Confucian temples in Taipei, include addresses and brief histories. As I believe another poster already mentioned, they’ll be busy at the time of year you’re in Taipei. Yeah they’re kind of touristy, but locals really do use them frequently for pray and worship. Though be warned, Taiwanese prayer is not generally quiet and peaceful. :wink:

has anyone one said ‘wait until February before getting on the plane’ yet?

aw c’mon - no one?

I thought you just did ?