I am famous?!

[quote=“Poagao”]See what a “dude” chop gets you? International fame and notoriety!

(psst…anyone want a “dude” chop"?)[/quote]

What does a “dude” chop signify?

[quote=“Durins Bane”]Bassman,

You don’t want to be famous. Be invisible…sit at the back of the bar…tell people you are an English teach, not a boss…that way people won’t fuck with you or your family…believe me, I know.[/quote]

Great advice…actually being “famous” can be a pain the the ass. I still get people walking up in the middle of Taipei saying “Hey, I saw your show at yada yada yada…, do you remember me?” (always give the PC answer, ‘of course!’) Probably one of the reasons I’ve become so reclusive lately.

I think Bassman is pulling out collective leg.

Afterall, being FAMOUS in Taiwan and being merely WELL-KNOWN among foreigners in Da-Jia are kind of different, wouldn’t you say? :laughing:

[quote=“Ben”][quote=“Poagao”]See what a “dude” chop gets you? International fame and notoriety!

(psst…anyone want a “dude” chop"?)[/quote]

What does a “dude” chop signify?[/quote]

Hell if I know, dude.

I was told ever so long ago that the original meaning of ‘dude’ is in fact ‘camel’s forskin’ I’m a gullible chap and have never bothered to look it up. Nevertheless, I still smirk every time i hear that word.

Hell, I don’t know. Ask that Chocolate dude, but don’t drop the soap.

[quote=“Spack”]I think Bassman is pulling out collective leg.

Afterall, being FAMOUS in Taiwan and being merely WELL-KNOWN among foreigners in Da-Jia are kind of different, wouldn’t you say? :laughing:[/quote]

Didn’t I say that this was a “local” and not a foreigner. He said “famous”, I didn’t. I think well known is much more suitable. But, I am not pulling the collective leg, not in any way, shape, or form. Yuck, I wouldn’t touch that thing.

It’s probably from the days when I was teaching over 2000 students a week, that’s including a senior high school and 2 kindergartens, oops, not to mention a buxiban. So many people come up to say “hi” and I have to pretend to remember them, very pc and all that.

Well known. That is a better term. Truth is even when I go to Taizhong city I will see someone that knows me, well, almost every time. I find myself hiding in department stores, making quick detours down stairs etc. It’s true, I kid you not. However, my son is quickly becoming better known than me and I am slowly becoming “Oh, that’s …'s Dad”, that is something that I have to keep an eye on. People are getting way to familiar with my kid.

A friend of mine always bumps into groups of his students (junior college) wherever he goes. We were on our 9-day motorbike tour round central & south Taiwan and were on the return leg without having bumped into any of them, something I noted. A few hours later we walked up to a viewpoint on Hehuanshan and were greeted by huge cries of HELLLOOOO! from one of his students and her friends.

A friend of mine always bumps into groups of his students (junior college) wherever he goes. We were on our 9-day motorbike tour round central & south Taiwan and were on the return leg without having bumped into any of them, something I noted. A few hours later we walked up to a viewpoint on Hehuanshan and were greeted by huge cries of HELLLOOOO! from one of his students and her friends.[/quote]
Heh, same thing happened when my folks came to visit me back in '97. We ran into people in Danshui, Yangmingshan, the airport and Hong Kong that knew me. It got to be quite funny… My parents were convinced that I knew every other person in Greater China. :laughing:

You mean you don’t actually know everyone in Greater China? Thanks for shattering my worldview.

My sister once told me she watched the TV show “Sliders” as it was like having me visit the house (not the most thrilling compliment since she meant the character of Prof. Arturo, played by John Rhys Davies - Gimli from “Lord of the Rings” and Salah from “Raiders of the Lost Ark” - looked and sounded like me . . . big fat pompous academic windbag). :slight_smile:

Back in 1994 or so, when Martin St. James did his hypnosis shows in Taiwan, I would have strangers stop me on the street with a loud “Superman” as I was in one of the shows broadcast on television - as Superman, naturally. I still get that every once in awhile when they rerun the show.

A few years ago, I would get mistaken for “Hagrid” from “Harry Potter” - mistaken for the character, not the actor.

Today, whenever we go to cosplay events, I will get a few folks who think I’m Peter Jackson. I have actually had autograph hounds refuse to believe I am not the “real” Peter Jackson . . . as if he’s actually going to show up at a cosplay event in Taipei. Of course, I love having my photo taken with the folks dressed in Lord of the Rings gear. :slight_smile: public.fotki.com/briandavidphill … _2222.html

Last weekend, I told the group that next time I was going to have to wear shorts so my “costume” would be more authentic.

I guess I’m famous in Taiwan . . . or at least for a moment I can pretend I am.

I do get recognized at English Teacher conferences though, but that’s for being me and isn’t nearly as much fun as being mistaken for someone else as I do a lot of presenting at those.

…and now, meiguolangren, you’re famous for your fisting fetish on Forumosa.
Hey, it’s a tongue-twister: famous for a fisting fetish on Forumosa, famous for a fisting fetish on Forumosa, famous for a fisting fetish on Forumosa…

Posting on a topic someone else brings up constitutes a fetish?

Don’t try and slither out of it, lube dude. :wink: