I am flying to Taiwan to look for a job

Good thing you elaborated on this one. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

When I told my friends and family that I was doing a Hash run, questions were asked…

However it’s a running club with a drinking problem.

What’s the hash.

Weed resin?
Hash browns?

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s a drinking club with a running problem.

5 Likes

Cold sweats there for a minute…

I’m kind of astonished they have a hash run in Douliu and it’s been going on for 45 years already.

The history of the hash is pretty interesting and I think they got going in Taiwan pretty early on.

A mate of mine drinks half a bottle of whisky and then sweats it off with a 16km run. After this he polishes off the rest of the bottle. True story.

Maybe I’m an old fart, but I don’t understand the interest in mixing drinking and running.

1. Seems like a great way to induce vomiting

2. The calories from beers and other drinks would negate any calories burned off from running

1 Like

I don’t get it either. But I also just hate running. So boring and repetitive. I prefer to dance the booze away…

socialize

imprisoned

Sorry, my eye was starting to twitch. No hard feelings. Glad you are being proactive and enjoying Taiwan. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Ouch, I’ll take that as a learning curve :slight_smile:

It’s the Kaohsiung Hash which has been going for 45 years, the Doulio Hash spiralled from it.

I can believe this!

Running club

So they drink while they run?

Nah, they have what are called downdowns at the start and end. Maybe at an intermediate waystation.

It’s a lot of fun, I’d recommend it to anyone. You can either walk or run there are two separate trails. You pay x amount and yet as much beer and snacks as you want.

Update: I’ve been in Changhua city for two and a half years now. It’s great, as I have a ‘morning job’ along with my afternoon/evening work, which from what I’ve seen not too many foreigners land after a short period of time here. Made a bunch of friends and set up a Facebook group titled ‘an idiots guide to Changhua’ as a space for people to ask questions and talk about places (I’ve seen the Taichung info exchange and it helps a lot of people). For the original posters, I’ll have to get you a beer sometime for your kind words pre-move.

9 Likes

I see you were teaching in huatan also , one of my favourite little known spots here. Parts of Changhua are charming, some parts best avoided . :sunglasses: Glad to see doing well.

Stay at a cheap hostel near Taipei Main Station (in Mistukoshi building perhaps). You don’t know when you will get a job. If you have not experienced a Chinese boss, the backstabbing by other employees or the tiger mommy who blames you for the child getting a 99 percent on some test with the obvious consequence that the child’s certain admission to MIT is now in question then a) prepare for this work environment and b) have enough money to return home with no regrets.

You read nothing didn’t you?

5 Likes

Nope. You have more idle time than me