I am so bloody jealous of you all for living in Taiwan...

Most of it happens during the rain season (Autumn/Winter) and the Plum Rain period.

October to December in Yilan (no typhoons) = same average rainfall as UK in one year

The equivalent might be comparing living in, say, Yunlin County with living in London. You’re clearly in bumfuckville in England and comparing it with Taipei. It doesn’t really work as a comparison.

Choose a genuine shithole in Taiwan and compare it with where you are now. The grass might seem less green.

3 Likes

One thing to say about that is that the arse end of nowhere in the UK would have a similar cost of living to Taipei, and then London is off the scale, and salaries dont reflect the gap so much either.

1 Like

I have no intention of moving back to the UK in the near future, but hope to retire there. The biggest block will be housing costs. They take a huge percentage of your income. We are very lucky to enjoy such low rents in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Absolutely, thank Jebus for the low rents. Fiddle sticks about the high prices to buy of course. Id move back but i also toy with the idea of France, or Spain

1 Like

Fair points. My comparison probably is unfair. But I’m the idiot who made the conscious decision to leave Taipei and come back to England, so it’s the only comparison I can make. It’s the comparison that won’t stop haunting me since I came back here. But, on the other hand, Taiwan is so small and cheap that I imagine that if I lived in an equivalent part of Taiwan, I’d easily be able to go to a big city whenever I wanted to, whereas the biggest city I live near right now is Reading, which is a bit shit. And going to London is too expensive to do regularly. Then again, I’ve never lived in a rubbish part of Taiwan, so I don’t really know…

I’m guessing Bracknell.

Further away from London, but still in Berkshire - Theale. At least Bracknell is a town.

Not many surnames.

Also moving back to the UK later this year, after 6 years here. Never lived in Taipei, but still not looking forward to leaving Tainan, for many of the reasons mentioned above.

No idea where we’ll end up yet, but I sympathise, last time we were over we stayed in Farnborough for 6 months for family reasons, not a part of the country I intend on moving back to.

God! I used to work for Thomson Directories in Farnborough. What a craphole that place is. Marginally better than Aldershot.

I’m so jealous of you being able to feel seasons change, get a breath of fresh air, don’t run into people at every corner every minute, walk outside as long as you wish not until you get heat stroke, wear beautiful coats not only tshirts with shorts almost all the time. I have been waiting for next winter in Taiwan from the middle of April. When it is cold and rainy outdoor, all you need is proper clothes, but if it is god damn so hot you don’t have a chance to enjoy being outdoor. (sorry for broken English but I hope you get my point)

I have been off the rock for 20 years…there’s not a day I don’t miss it. And I live in a gorgeous part of the world with a lot of things to do here.

They say it’s not the same , the summers are hotter the food is plastic and the girls are only on instagram

I miss many of the foods and fruit , I know where to go to enjoy what I like, I LOVE the heat and humidity. And I had no problems finding girls in real life to tangle with.

I do not miss the constant heart stopping quakes.

I don’t mind the foons .

If it wasn’t for Tommy’s comments about the things he’s missed, I would have left long ago. I usually concur.

There is always a crowd that is disagreeable, if people fester hatred, Im identifying with the 60s hippy’s and trying to get on with everyone.

Taiwan has its rift, with deep DPP who I read in the news today one guy wanted to burn down the KMT headquarters, kind of works the same in reverse.

Uk I know it’s Brexiters, Brexiters have a similar hatred and in the US it’s Trumpsters against everything they hate.

Far too much hate, I’m going to immerse myself with 60’s love, listen to good music and think the best of people.

2 Likes

Now you’re coming around! I bet the Rainbow People sent you some good vibes… :rainbow: :heart: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Especially then! :snowman_with_snow:

i’m not so sure it is unfair, the price point of living in taipei and an english small town is still probably going to be cheaper in taipei. and as others have said, london prices are just up into space.

i miss the fresh air, supermarkets, tv, people randomly chatting (but these seems to be happening to me more now in taiwan as im learning some chinese) and of course my friends and family.

but the list of things i don’t miss is quite a bit longer. holidays back home are great though(travelling within the uk aside, as its a complete rip off). any longer and i think i’d start to feel bored. 30 years living in the uk was enough for me.

1 Like

I’m going to miss Taipei a lot as i count down my last month here. I’m really glad I came back. There’s a lot of downsides to living in Taiwan for sure but it’s really not a bad place to live. It’s really comfortable and convenient from 711s to the MRT to extremely cheap health care.

5 Likes

You’ll enjoy your life in Italy too! Come back from time to time to say hi.