I am very displeased with this turn of events

I received a very cryptic and insulting PM from a mod this morning. I guess, from the jist of it, that I am being proposed for a banning again. Not sure why as no one seems to want to answer my return PMs. Too bad…thought the sight had leveled on and was becoming quite balanced again. But some local celebs are becoming completely unhinged and launching into judgemental mode again. I have to go teach now, or I’d go into more details. Suffice it to say, I am very displeased with this turn of events. The StarChamber seems to be operating in greater secrecy that ever before. Welcome back all, The Forumosan Kangaroos.

I will NOT say anything about tinfoil hats.

I don’t know about the paranoid secrecy and now-cliche kangaroo court accusations, but there has definitely been a rise in questionable moderation this past couple of weeks.

Yeah, some of the Mod Squad seem to have completely lost the plot (imo).

Arbitrarily pinging perfectly reasonable posts (imo).
Blatant favoritism of some posters over others (imo).
So petty and tedious (imo) that I’ve been wondering lately why
I even bother visiting the site anymore, let alone post.
(cue wotsizhandle’s standard response: “And yet, here you are.”)

This place is going to the dogs (imo) - with apologies to actual dogs.

TOKEN CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENT (required by “law”):
It’s about time Admin started regulating the regulators (imo).

A pattern over the years is a new moderator is put into a forum that contains the word politics and inevitably the feedback on the moderators in the feedback forum grows.

My feedback has nothing to do with any new mod.

And Josefus, are you suggesting that I may be insane? Not sure of your post’s meaning if you aren’t. You are a mod are you not? Are you sure insulting people coming here to give you feedback is the best approach to a harmonious resolution of a percieved problem?

[quote=“ilovelabatts”]Old Gobbo,

Let me guess — your comments about a mod starting with the letter “I” are the reason behind the suspension. [/quote]

I am not suspended. I am being maliged in some sort of private, behind the scenes forum without me being invited to defend. As to what I have to defend myself for, I know not. I had something flamed earleir this week that I meant in jest, but the sensitive butts didn’t feel was funny, so that may be what this is all about. Not sure. And the “mod” in question does not begin with “I”, although, I begin to suspect that is what he is all about.

I don’t know how many of you are or have ever been moderating for a website, but from my experience the mods and admins here are much more relax, easy going than most of the places I know.
The rules here are simple and not hard to follow. Like some of you said, there are errors in moderating and these are dealt with properly. Yes, when new mods arrive and especially in some forums that need high maintenance errors of judgment are more frequent but they are dealt with nonetheless.
Remember, we are volunteer and we do try our best to satisfy everyone. If the way the site is modded doesn’t fit your style of posting, then I suggest you do the same thing I do when it happens to me on a particular forum, I go elsewhere.
If you want to give feedback, be specific:

[quote]Yeah, some of the Mod Squad seem to have completely lost the plot (imo).

This place is going to the dogs (imo) - with apologies to actual dogs. [/quote]
Doesn’t help at all. I am not saying you are wrong, But as a mod I have no clue what you are refering to.

[quote]I’ve been wondering lately why
I even bother visiting the site anymore, let alone post.[/quote]
Maybe it’s time to go then!
As for OG, I think you have balls posting in this threads. You know exactly what you have done, and the fact that you aren’t banned yet for good and that you can still post shows how relax this site is, actually way too relax when it comes to moderating, IMO.

I would like to be able to “ignore” the posts of one mod…a real passive-aggressive dirtball he is…but I have no real beef with them for the most part. yeah, I think favoritism is shown…butr so what…The Real World Ain’t Fair either. Ya just learn to work the angles.

Like a real famous guy told me one time…“Ya’ know…I get away with so much shit, that when I do get pinched for something, I just shut-up and say “Yes, you’re absolutely right. I was absolutely wrong for doing that.””

[quote=“igorveni”]I don’t know how many of you are or have ever been moderating for a website, but from my experience the mods and admins here are much more relax, easy going than most of the places I know.
The rules here are simple and not hard to follow. Like some of you said, there are errors in moderating and these are dealt with properly. Yes, when new mods arrive and especially in some forums that need high maintenance errors of judgment are more frequent but they are dealt with nonetheless.
Remember, we are volunteer and we do try our best to satisfy everyone. If the way the site is modded doesn’t fit your style of posting, then I suggest you do the same thing I do when it happens to me on a particular forum, I go elsewhere.
If you want to give feedback, be specific:

[quote]Yeah, some of the Mod Squad seem to have completely lost the plot (imo).

This place is going to the dogs (imo) - with apologies to actual dogs. [/quote]
Doesn’t help at all. I am not saying you are wrong, But as a mod I have no clue what you are refering to.

[quote]I’ve been wondering lately why
I even bother visiting the site anymore, let alone post.[/quote]
Maybe it’s time to go then!
As for OG, I think you have balls posting in this threads. You know exactly what you have done, and the fact that you aren’t banned yet for good and that you can still post shows how relax this site is, actually way too relax when it comes to moderating, IMO.[/quote]

OK. Bye.

[quote=“igorveni”]
As for OG, I think you have balls posting in this threads. You know exactly what you have done, and the fact that you aren’t banned yet for good and that you can still post shows how relax this site is, actually way too relax when it comes to moderating, IMO.[/quote]

The fact that you are weighing in here proves my point that something insidious is going on. The cryptic and insulting PM i got did not allude to any wrongdoing. It just insulted me. And judged me. WTF do people think they are that they can judge me. I don’t see any ivory towers around here. But I sure can feel there presence.

If what you kangaroos are discussing was my post that was flamed, I gotta say: ARE YOU FECKING SERIOUS??? Once JDS cast his judgemental gauntlet down, I immediately responded by saying what I wrote was a joke. It was actualy quite funny and a half-hearted attempt to mend a very burnt bridge. By posting I was joking, this should have made things clear. Powers that be felt otherwise and it was flamed. So be it. I didn’t complain. I didn’t repost. I accepted that the mod decision was the way it was. I let it go. But then I get this PM this morning that is completely out of line. It is so overboard that I am now quite peturbed at the audacity of some people. WTF do these guys think they are. What a frickin joke.

As for telling me about the size of my balls, get stuffed. Who introduced you to Maoman? Who lent you sleeping bags when you needed them? You know for a fact that my online trials and tribulations have nothing to do with the person I really am. How dare you call my motivation for wanting answers into question? You’ve got some pretty big hairy ones yourselg Igorveni. I am even more insulted and surprised to see you flame me than I was to get the private flame from Mr. High and Almighty.

Let’s not forget who began the current flame war either. Now, I like posting here. I enjoy sharing info and making bad puns. I like many, many folks I’ve met. Of course we are not all going to get along, but at least I try to get along with folks until they bite first. Then I figure it’s gloves off time. If you prick me, do I not bleed? If Shakepeare is too difficult, maybe a Rambo quote might help you understand how I feel. “They drew first blood, not me!” My current foe knows full well how kind and pleasant I always was to her IRL. She was the one who launched a sucker punch and continued to take it to me.

If what y’all percieve as my most recent indiscretion had included a smilie, then you’d know I was joking rather than flaming. But it didn’t and reading between the lines seems to be impossible around here. So, carry on your secret discussions and keep telling yourself that my references to your precedings as “rooish” in nature are nothing but a disgruntled poster ranting off. Keep telling yourself that. Ban me, suspend me or exonerate me, I care not a jot. I will post here or I won’t. Matters not. My NYR to not take things so seriously is working just fine. I really don’t care what comes of this. I am simply reporting to the hoi polloi what kind of backroom antics and back stabbing activities are taking place behind the scenes.

Cheers.

What about my post was insulting? That I was ashamed of believing that you changed? Cryptic, possibly, but doubtful. And no, I will not answer your PM because I have answered them all before, and what has the result been, same old same old from you. How many incarnations have we had from you? Why were you banned? And then banned again…

There is no star chamber, but I wish to hell there was. To say that you are displeased would be hilarious, if it weren’t so sad.

And what would that be? That I don’t like serial stalkers? That I don’t enjoy reading that someone has been PMing people with juvenile insults, or perhaps that a long time poster has deleted old posts and replaced them with thousands of these: :upyours:

That you think we should read your post to ImaniOU as a “Joke” is insulting and anyone who would think that after all that has transpired between the two of that you were now on such playful terms needs his head examined.

jds
kangaroo in question

Those who post jokes have the responsibility to clearly mark such posts as jokes at the time of the original post, either by saying “This is a joke” outright or by liberal use of the smilie function. If you do not, you are risking being misunderstood. This has happened frequently enough, and is sufficiently common-sense, to be inexcusable as an excuse.

Those who come back after the fact and try to hide behind assertions that originally offensive posts were “just jokes” will find little compassion from me or many other mods. And that is as it should be. It is not difficult to figure out, with a few seconds’ thought, whether a post is constructive or merely attacking an individual, and that goes for the OP, who would be well-advised to erase without posting any posts that fit the latter category.

In the real world, overstep the lines and get smacked in the jaw by someone bigger than you. In the cyber world, overstep the line and get suspended or banned. Quite simple. As I’ve said before, at the end of the day F.com is not a public utility to which all have rights, it is a private Web site to which privileges are granted by the owner. If you can’t play nice, go bother someone else. And this goes for everyone in said situation, lest one poster or another claim I’m setting my sights on him/her.

[quote=“ironlady”]Those who post jokes have the responsibility to clearly mark such posts as jokes at the time of the original post, either by saying “This is a joke” outright or by liberal use of the smilie function.[/quote]I disagree. It is not anyone’s “responsibility” to ensure all jokes are marked clearly as such just to cover their asses and make sure that even the most humor-retarded can see it’s a joke. I do think, though, that anyone who posts a joke that backfires on them, whether through being inadequately worded or just a completely stupid idea, should harden up and take the consequences. Saying “it was just a joke” does not absolve you of responsibility for your actions.

To insist that all jokes be labelled as such not only insults the intelligence of most posters, but contributes to an unnecessary and unwanted dumbing down of the conversation and a pandering to the lowest common intellectual denominator. Most people on the boards are smart enough to see a joke as a joke. They may not agree with it, they may not like it, but by and large they can see it. Now whether or not it’s a good, well written, or appropriate joke, that’s another story. And if it’s not good, well written, or appropriate, then the poster of said joke will have to face the consequences of their failure.

OK, how about two posters with a nice little history of strongly disliking each other? And then one posts such a “joke” without a winkie or a smiley.

Then, after being called on it, the poster says, “Wow, YOU must be jaded if you think that’s not a joke.”

I think in general, Tetsuo, you are correct. But we are into specifics now.

For what it’s worth, I think Forumosa is moderated quite well overall. Let’s face it, they’re never going to please all the people all the time.

While one may believe a mod has erred in banishing one’s post to the temp forum, my experience has been that one may make a case for having the thread reinstated; and if the argument is persuasive enough, they will do so.

Compare that to how some other sites (you know who I mean) are moderated.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]Compare that to how some other sites (you know who I mean) are moderated.[/quote]Dr. Z -
No…where? I don’t get out much. Who you referring to?

There is no shame in having a thread “temped”. In fact, some of the most vibrant discussions on this site occurs in the Temp Forum. Think of having a thread moved to the Temp Forum as giving it a new life.

I like to think of the Temp Forum as an avenue that leads me to the path of silliness. And I do believe that silliness is an important aspect of ALL in our quest for health and happiness.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]There is no shame in having a thread “temped”. In fact, some of the most vibrant discussions on this site occurs in the Temp Forum. Think of having a thread moved to the Temp Forum as giving it a new life. [/quote]I think the problem is generally less one of having a thread temped than having posts temped, because of exactly what you say next:[quote]I like to think of the Temp Forum as an avenue that leads me to the path of silliness. And I do believe that silliness is an important aspect of ALL in our quest for health and happiness.[/quote]The implication of silliness can be insulting sometimes, especially when a post is taken from a thread and temped, and even more so when there’s no reference to where it was temped from.

Personally, I have no problem with being temped - usually it’s because I was being a dick anyway.

[quote=“Old Gobbo”]
The fact that you are weighing in here proves my point that something insidious is going on. The cryptic and insulting PM I got did not allude to any wrongdoing. It just insulted me. And judged me. WTF do people think they are that they can judge me. I don’t see any ivory towers around here. But I sure can feel there presence.[/quote]

Not insidious…The insidiousness of your recent actions is being looked at, that’s all. Ivory towers my ass. As for JD’s PM, it shouldn’t have to mention the blindingly obvious.

Is your sig on Taiwan Ho a joke as well?

For most people here, this is who you are…I ask, which one is really you? The guy I hung out with camping, or this online persona?

[quote=“Old Gobbo”]
Let’s not forget who began the current flame war either. If you prick me, do I not bleed?[/quote]

It was a pretty small prick, wouldn’t you agree? I mean, come on, in your last few reincarnations you were a royal pain in the ass at times.

Remember these little guys? :wink:

:upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours:
:upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours:

Tell me you aren’t that thin-skinned considering all the noise you’ve made in the past…Bai tuo.

Coming into feedback as a Mod is difficult at times, as you want to present yourself as a regular poster when in all honesty you can’t easily do so. Consider the above as one poster to another.

You owe your “foe” an apology…Full stop.

The guy I met camping lent sleeping bags when people had none. That guy, knowing he’d done wrong, would admit he’d f*cked up, in public, for all to see.

Just the opinion of another Kangaroo. YMMV