I bought a house (+ Taiwan Home Loan Interest Calculator)

Thanks for all the details, really a good read! Always fun listening to banks and their unorganized excuses.

They came to our company, 1 hour drive each way, to check our assets just for a 500k loan to buy a new company truck lol. banks here can be nutters.

2 Likes

I got my car loan easily. Didn’t need a guarantor but they offered a cheaper rate with one.

This part I find hard to believe. From my experience the paperwork is exactly the same. They just love to say no to foreigners (or those of foreign appearance)

1 Like

I actually asked them why they needed to go check and can’t just look up the info on line. What they told me actually made sense. They need to make sure the place isn’t a total wreck. They told me they recently went to look at a house and found out that the please was completely molded due to leaks in the house. If the borrower was to default on that loan, they would not have been able to recoup their loan even if they were try to auction it off at a low price.

That makes sense.

A loan for a new truck made me wonder. mold issues perhaps? :joy:

1 Like

When I bought my Ford Ranger Wildtrack in 2015 it was listed as a commercial vehicle. My company is registered at my own property. Still it had to be purchased through the company but I got a loan using my ID card. BTW all I did to show I could pay back the loan was use my HSBC HK account details. I just gave them a PDF for each month for 12 months. I did it all at the Ford dealer they never came to visit. 1.2 million loan

First question asked was my car park long enough for a near 6m long vehicle. I just replied my car park space was 1100 pings it should be fine lol.

1 Like

the dealer was happy to give us a car loan (lease) as they would add 350k onto the ticket at the end of the day…so we went bank route with 1 % ish instead.

1 Like

It was several years ago. No it wasn’t due to foreign appearance. Many people assume my wife is a foreigner because she is not Han Chinese.

Mine wasn’t a lease. Best thing is my car is registered as commercial vehicle. Originally only allowed to have 2 persons in the vehicle that was changed to 5 people later on. My 3.2l turbo Diesel I just paid the car tax, NT$5400 lol Plus I can park in commercial vehicle car parking spaces which are a lot cheaper than normal car parking spaces if I am in the city.

I was told no to an 18 month Audi car loan in 1996. Audi was promoting the loan. Sales manager said to use my wife’s name and ID card. 33.5k a month repayment. Not many could make that repayment. I just said right going to bank to withdraw cash for the asking price of the new A4. Sales Manager really happy. Then I told him when I walk back going to the BMW dealer next door and buying one of his cars. I had an Audi in the service center being serviced at the time. Should have seen his face turn whiter than white. Suddenly it’s please wait he makes hurried phone calls… 30 mins later loan approved lol

1 Like

Please share the site! Is this like Japan’s akiya houses?

I have no idea about Japan real estate.

https://aomp109.judicial.gov.tw/judbp/wkw/WHD1A02.htm

1 Like

My realtor advised us against buying an auction house. What they said was that you are bidding on the house without being able to look at it. The disgruntled owners may have poured concrete down the pipes for all you know. If people are still living there, you may not be able to get them out and it is your problem, not the realtors or banks.

1 Like

Then why not call his wife?

He was on their marketing database and not his wife?

So they didn’t know he had a wife? (but they expect his “wife” to go guarantor… right…)

Makes total sense!

Ya we didnt do the lease either. it was an additional 60% of the trucks price tag for the “lease”. really it is a rental style contract. what a friggen scam. we went to the bank instead and saved a few hundred thousand.

1 Like

It’s actually a common assumption, and a lot of foreigners here indeed are married to locals. Seems a pointless line of questioning you are pursuing. What were you driving at?

100% he was lying. What bothered me was his refusal to accept my formal offer without even contacting the owner. They are normally required to share all offers and let the owners decide, not decide for them.

The only thing I can think of is the 2% commission. A higher price would have increased the commission but only by a few thousand.

Here are the photos as promised. I just took them, so it’s a bit messy, thanks to my daughter :slight_smile:

We have only been here two months. So, it’s still a work in progress. We are still buying and fixing little things here and there. As you can tell, it’s an IKEA showcase.

Living room

Bedroom 1

Bedroom 2

Main Bedroom

Two bathrooms; one is in the main bedroom.

Kitchen (came with cabinets and stove; we set up the rest)

P.S. This post will self-destruct in a few hours. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Nice place and congratulations :slight_smile:

Buying property is part of the reason we’re moving back to Australia. Taiwan got put in the too hard basket :joy:

1 Like